Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NLTM Updated for July '14

Go down 
+15
Big Rich
Rami Airola
TheGreatDuck
corplhicks
Required Fields
Spiner202
Vexer6
Gilbert
Eyesore
glassprison
Svengo
Witchfinder
mikeinfla
TrogDawn
ultmetal
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 3:46 am

Required Fields wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Is there an issue with your Black Sabbath page?  It cuts off when I look at it in the middle of the Reunion disc.  There's just a blank screen after that.  

It does the same for me, actually.

Same here.
I tried with Firefox and Internet Explorer and with both it looks like this:
http://img282.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=41698_nltm_blacksabbathproblem_122_72lo.jpg
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 7:21 pm

I have no more Virgin Steele CDs at the moment.

I re-uploaded the Sabbath page. Let me know if it still isn't working. Thanks.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 7:24 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Nice to see more Manilla Road on NLTM! Smile Have you got any unreviewed albums from Virgin Steele, btw? Another great USPM band that's way underrepresented on the site - and you're actually missing their best albums (The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part One through The House of Atreus: Act II, that is). One of those '80s bands who actually reached their peak during the '90s IMO.

Also, have you got any of the later releases from the big power metal bands? I see you're missing the last few albums from Blind Guardian, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Stratovarius and Running Wild - even though I hear Running Wild's post-reunion stuff is pretty lame...

Nope. Can't keep up with it all. I'm also missing stuff from favorites like Symphorce, Brainstorm, Meliah Rage, Grave Digger...

I will eventually get more, I just don't have the money to buy it all at the moment.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 7:41 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I have no more Virgin Steele CDs at the moment.

I re-uploaded the Sabbath page. Let me know if it still isn't working. Thanks.

The Sabbath page is fine now.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 1:24 am

Hey wanker, nice to see you finally got some Vain cds.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 9:51 am

By the way Scott do you remember a guy who worked at a classic rock station in Florida named Jeff Stone that used to send you free CDs to review? Well, that was me Smile I left radio in 2005 when it just wasn't feasible to live on $27000 a year any more. My real name is Mike but I had to use an alias on that station because I also worked at the company's sister station and sometimes I would be on the air at the same time on both stations so they wanted me to use another name. So I'm still around but I don't have those freebies anymore to send to ya.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 9:55 am

By the way I noticed on your intro to Holy Soldier it says they are working on a new album. Is this old info or something that they are still gonna do?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 11:06 am

mikeinfla wrote:
By the way Scott do you remember a guy who worked at a classic rock station in Florida named Jeff Stone that used to send you free CDs to review? Well, that was me Smile I left radio in 2005 when it just wasn't feasible to live on $27000 a year any more. My real name is Mike but I had to use an alias on that station because I also worked at the company's sister station and sometimes I would be on the air at the same time on both stations so they wanted me to use another name. So I'm still around but I don't have those freebies anymore to send to ya.

Hey Mike! Of course I remember you. I never realized you 'mikeinfla' and Jeff Stone were the same guy. Haha! Awesome.

Well, that post on Holy Soldier was some time ago. I doubt we will ever see that new album. Both they and Neon Cross were 'working' on new albums, but that was back in the 2000's and I've heard nothing since.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 11:12 am

Ult, in your review of Keel's Larger Than Live album, you mention the Humble Pie cover. You can also add that 'Rock n Roll Outlaw' is a cover by Rose Tattoo. I'm assuming that's a live version of the song.

A Keel studio version of that song appears on the soundtrack to the movie 'Dudes'.
NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 41uGt-0F0YL

Good soundtrack too. WASP, Megadeth, Keel, Steve Vai and others appear on there. Worth grabbing if you can find a copy cheap.

EDIT: Apparently the movie was directed by Penelope "Decline of Western Civilization" Spheeris

"Rock and Roll Outlaw" - Keel
"Urban Struggle" (1987 Re-Recording) - The Vandals
"Show No Mercy" - W.A.S.P
"Vengeance Is Mine" - Simon Steele and the Claw
"These Boots Were Made for Walkin'" - Megadeth
"Time Forgot You" - Legal Weapon
"Jesus Came Driving Along" - Leather Nun
"Mountain Song" (Early Version) - Jane's Addiction
"Lost Highway" - Little Kings
"Dudes Showdown" (Instrumental) - Charles Bernstein & Co.
"Amazing Grace" (Instrumental) - Steve Vai

Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 3:27 am

ultmetal wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:
Nice to see more Manilla Road on NLTM! Smile Have you got any unreviewed albums from Virgin Steele, btw? Another great USPM band that's way underrepresented on the site - and you're actually missing their best albums (The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part One through The House of Atreus: Act II, that is). One of those '80s bands who actually reached their peak during the '90s IMO.

Also, have you got any of the later releases from the big power metal bands? I see you're missing the last few albums from Blind Guardian, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Stratovarius and Running Wild - even though I hear Running Wild's post-reunion stuff is pretty lame...

Nope. Can't keep up with it all. I'm also missing stuff from favorites like Symphorce, Brainstorm, Meliah Rage, Grave Digger...

I will eventually get more, I just don't have the money to buy it all at the moment.

Ahhh, now that explains the slower pace of updates lately, I guess. Very Happy

Anyway, I think I haven't given my obligatory obscure-ish hair metal recommendation in a while, so this time I shall bring up Southgang. I've seen people compare them to Trixter, but I think they're acutally a bit heavier, have got a slight southern rock influence in their sound and are a better band all around. I think you'd like them.

Later on the members of this band (sans the singer) went on to form the power pop/pop rock trio Marvelous 3, whose singer/guitarist Butch Walker also went on to pursue an acclaimed solo career and become a producer for a number of mainstream pop acts. Might not really be your cup of tea, but I think they're worth a listen.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 1:09 pm

Southgang was terrible.

The very bottom-of-the-barrel, been-there-done-that, last-grasp-at-a-dying-era, over-produced, beat-a-dead-horse-formula hairband. There wasn't even a hint of originality in anything they did. They rode into town with every cliched lyric in the pockets of their carefully ripped designer jeans and professionally-styled frosted hair for a party that was over a year ago. Just one ass-hat's opinion, of course.  Cool 

That being said, I am a huge fan of both Marvelous 3 and Butch Walker's solo material. Not sure that either one would be up Ult's alley, but they are decent Cheap Trick-inspired pop-rock.

Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 2:12 pm

Speaking of obscure hair bands, have you ever heard of Dare (only the early albums, the later albums took on more of a celtic-influenced tone):

(Interesting factoid: the keyboard player, Brian Cox, later became a very well known particle scientist)
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 3:44 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Southgang was terrible.

The very bottom-of-the-barrel, been-there-done-that, last-grasp-at-a-dying-era, over-produced, beat-a-dead-horse-formula hairband. There wasn't even a hint of originality in anything they did. They rode into town with every cliched lyric in the pockets of their carefully ripped designer jeans and professionally-styled frosted hair for a party that was over a year ago. Just one ass-hat's opinion, of course.  Cool 

That being said, I am a huge fan of both Marvelous 3 and Butch Walker's solo material. Not sure that either one would be up Ult's alley, but they are decent Cheap Trick-inspired pop-rock.
Strongly disagree here, I really dig Southgang.

I've discovered a lot of great obscure bands by browsing HeavyHarmonies.com. Aviator is a pretty good one:

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 4:26 pm

Vexer6 wrote:

Strongly disagree here, I really dig Southgang.

No surprises there. Our opinions always tend to be polar opposites. Neutral

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 6:50 pm

Thanks for the recommends. Will check them all out.

Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 11:43 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Southgang was terrible.

I've only heard a few songs, but what I heard was terrible.

I'll take Tyketto over them. Now that was a band.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Big Rich wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Southgang was terrible.

Well I would listen to more then a few songs before judging them.

Last edited by Vexer6 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 7:11 pm

Big Rich wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Southgang was terrible.

...That had one great song...and a bunch of filler.
The German band Casanova with ex-members of Mad Max and Warlock did that sound far better IMO (sans the ballads, which were really lame and boring), as did Hardline.

EDIT: That one song does blow everything Southgang ever did out of the water, though.
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

Number of posts : 280

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 1:29 pm

Well I must confess that I "ilegally" downloaded all of Manilla Road albums but I only listened carefully to Crystal Logic and its GREAT stuff indeed, but there are other albums where they go for a thrashier sound as far as I´ve heard. Its a good band anyways. I´d actually recommend an old Obscure Thrash act called Solstice, I listened to some of it and liked it a lot. Also , brasilian band "Attomica" has some decent Brutal Thrash stuff.
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 1:41 pm

2 bands I think many people would recommend would be Protector from Germany and Morbid Saint (US). I don´t really know if these 2 are already on nolifetilmetal.com but there´s one thing with Morbid Saint that they actually released 2 albums but the second one was just a demo with the lenght of an album , both are great stuff. they have more of a "teutonic" thrash influence to their sound, lyrics are a bit silly sometimes. I would recommend Protector if you don´t mind growled ( burpy ) vocals which is the reason I actually don´t like this band , but I know many "brutal thrashers" that consider them to be a legend.
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 3:36 pm

I also noticed that the "Punk" ( middle 90´s ) albums of Sodom are missing on nltm. I ve actually never heard much of them , but many people say at least Masquerade in Blood is essential. I heard this one once in youtube and I really enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 3:58 pm

Yes, I am missing a lot of great metal. Cannot possibly own it all, just not enough money time and room on my shelves. The Sodom albums are on my want list, as is Morbid Saint (I think).

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 4:02 pm

Maybe you´ll receive some pointing fingers for listening to Morbid Saint because their lyrics sometimes bend to the satanic side but I´m still addicted to "Spectrum of Death"

Last edited by ze_mau on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 4:24 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Southgang was terrible.

The very bottom-of-the-barrel, been-there-done-that, last-grasp-at-a-dying-era, over-produced, beat-a-dead-horse-formula hairband. There wasn't even a hint of originality in anything they did. They rode into town with every cliched lyric in the pockets of their carefully ripped designer jeans and professionally-styled frosted hair for a party that was over a year ago. Just one ass-hat's opinion, of course.

Were Southgang the guys that did "Tainted Angel?" If so, that song gives me dry heaves. So yeah, I'm with MG71. Eff those guys. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 5:10 pm

ze_mau wrote:
Well I must confess that I "ilegally" downloaded all of Manilla Road albums but I only listened carefully to Crystal Logic and its GREAT stuff indeed, but there are other albums where they go for a thrashier sound as far as I´ve heard. Its a good band anyways. I´d actually recommend an old Obscure Thrash act called Solstice, I listened to some of it and liked it a lot. Also , brasilian band "Attomica" has some decent Brutal Thrash stuff.

I remember sending Scott a PM with some songs by Solstice, and he dug them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Updated for July '14   NLTM Updated for July '14 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NLTM Updated for July '14
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next