Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anal things a music collector will do?

Go down 
+22
Gryphon-kl
metalheaded
brokentulsa
Chairman_Smith
Citanul
exanimate
DallasBlack
Gilbert
stormspell
Thrasher73
stepcousin
80s Metal Lady
manny
Eyesore
choosemetal
Witchfinder
tohostudios
ultmetal
mikeinfla
Runicen
BillRoxx
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
exanimate
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 46

Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 12:31 pm

Everything alphabetical in order of release.

Hype stickers get peeled from the plastic and put on the jewel case of CD's.

Most new vinyl, I leave the plastic on it.

If it's a gatefold, I will peel the hype sticker from the plastic and put it on the poly sleeve.

Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/jbeter
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 1:04 pm

When I get my cds in the mail, sometimes the jewel case is broken or scratched.

this bothers me a lot because jewel cases are becoming a bit hard to find.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 3:07 pm

Gilbert wrote:
When I get my cds in the mail, sometimes the jewel case is broken or scratched.

this bothers me a lot because jewel cases are becoming a bit hard to find.

I'm not too bothered by scratched cases, but I will replace any broken ones (and any trays with broken teeth). And I also struggle to find jewel cases. I have a few extra right now, but I know that at some point I'm going to run out.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 3:45 pm

tohostudios wrote:
When I buy a CD that has a sticker on it saying something like "Featuring "song xxxxx" I try like hell to peel that sticker off of the cellophane and stick it on the CD case.  It pisses me off when the sticker either tears or has no adhesive left by the time I get it off the cellophane.

It sounds really anal (and admittedly it is) but it started because after a decade has passed and I dig the CD out again, I like to remember what was supposed to be the "featured track".  This helps remind me of why I bought the thing in the first place.  Plus it's amazing how many times my favorite track off a CD is not the "featured track" after time passes.

I did that with Death Magnetic, because it pissed me off it wasn't part of the artwork.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 4:04 pm

Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 I'm not too bothered by scratched cases, but I will replace any broken ones (and any trays with broken teeth). And I also struggle to find jewel cases. I have a few extra right now, but I know that at some point I'm going to run out

I found full size empty jewel cases at Target near the blank Cd's...They come 10 in a package for around $6....Everytime i go to target I pick up a pack to keep them around...I cant stand for the cases to be broke or look dingy...I also keep everything by band and genre and vinyl must be in order of release alphabetical order with all the covers facing the same way...
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 5:57 pm

I pretty much do all the things already mentioned, too.

Something that bugs me is when a CD's spine print is the wrong way, so if I want to read it the same direction as all the others, I have to turn it upside down or backwards in the rack.
I also don't like how digipaks are a slightly different size than standard jewel cases, so they don't fit the same.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 8:42 pm

metalheaded wrote:
I pretty much do all the things already mentioned, too.

Something that bugs me is when a CD's spine print is the wrong way, so if I want to read it the same direction as all the others, I have to turn it upside down or backwards in the rack.
I also don't like how digipaks are a slightly different size than standard jewel cases, so they don't fit the same.

They're at least better than the current "environmentally friendly" cardboard doohickeys. Not only is there no booklet you cant see them when displayed with other CDs. When I was picking at Amazon, I hated getting those as you had to dig around to find them.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 2:51 am

metalheaded wrote:

I don't go as far as turning it upside down or backwards, but that bugs me too.
Back to top Go down
Gryphon-kl
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1346

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 4:06 am

In addition to some of the things already mentioned, I also remove anti-theft tags that the record company has included inside the packaging. Even those underneath opaque trays.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 10:14 am

- everything in alphabetical order, then chronological by release date
- hype stickers are trimmed off around the cellophane and put underneath the tray
- broken jewel cases are replaced
- broken trays are replaced
- price stickers or label residue is taken off with Goo Gone
- anti-theft tags are removed
- cds are never loaned out. You want a copy, I'll burn you one.
- cds are put back into their cases right side-up
- all cds are cataloged in an Excel spread sheet (band name, album name, year of release/year of reissue)
- cd-rs only exist in my collection as place holders until a "real copy" is obtained.
- I don't catalog any mp3 collections or downloads. They don't count as real to me.
- purchases made Jan. 1 thru Dec. 31st for the year are highlighted in bright blue
- items from the "want list" are highlighted in light blue when ordered and remain until they arrive.
- items that are in my collection, but also on my "trade/sell" list are highlighted in pale yellow until they are removed.
- a running total of overall purchases for the year is kept at the bottom, along with a separate running total of "2014 new release" purchases

I guess that's about it.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 10:17 am

Citanul wrote:
And I also struggle to find jewel cases.  I have a few extra right now, but I know that at some point I'm going to run out.

I purchase them in bulk on-line. Empty cases, clear trays and black trays are all easily purchased from places like Amazon or ebay.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 10:24 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
- everything in alphabetical order, then chronological by release date

I thought I was the only one who did this. I take it a step further though. I originally had shelves that were organized in this way that had been ripped to MP3 and shelves that were organized in this way that had yet to be ripped to MP3. There is also a separate place I stack CDs that have been ripped, but not yet listened to (usually my "work" music). Now that I'm re-ripping everything in FLAC using EAC, I have a shelf that is devoted to titles listened to AND ripped in FLAC in addition to these other three classifications.

Yeah, I may have a problem.  Razz 

MetalGuy71 wrote:
- all cds are cataloged in an Excel spread sheet (band name, album name, year of release/year of reissue)

I have to ask: how long did it take for you to do that? I've been casting around for an app so I can have something mobile if I'm out at a record store and can't remember if/what I own by a given artist. There aren't many where I have that problem, but it's a pain to have to debate the point of risking a duplicate. I keep coming back to Excel as an easy way to solve the problem. I'm just not sure how I could keep it easily accessible via my phone on the road.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 10:38 am

Man, I am so un-OCD regarding CDs, as compared to this thread.

The one thing I am OCD is about, I guess, is I HATE having any kind of out-cardboard sleeve around the jewel case. Like, as an easy example that most people have, the Iron Maiden reissues from whenever, how they all had that cardboard slipcase around the jewel case with the album cover on it. Those get thrown in the recycling bin ASAP. What a waste of material. The Ramones Rhino reissues all had them as well. The ones I keep, and annoy me, are the ones where it's like the CD in its jewel case, and then a booklet or something, with the cardboard sleeve around it. One of my Trans Siberian Orchestra CDs are like that, as an example.

When I was a kid, I was really OCD with my cassette tape collection. I retained a little of the OCD at first with my CD collection. Now, I don't worry about much, except I get annoyed at digipaks.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 10:51 am

Runicen wrote:

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I have to ask: how long did it take for you to do that?  I've been casting around for an app so I can have something mobile if I'm out at a record store and can't remember if/what I own by a given artist.  There aren't many where I have that problem, but it's a pain to have to debate the point of risking a duplicate.  I keep coming back to Excel as an easy way to solve the problem.  I'm just not sure how I could keep it easily accessible via my phone on the road.

I originally used a free on-line service. It was a website called cd-tracker.com I think. Something like that. I forget. Then one day, the website went tits-up. I had like a day or 2 to copy everything from the site to a word doc.

After that debacle, I decided to do it myself in Excel. I did it gradually over the course of a summer when I had down time at work. I'd take digital pictures of sections of cd shelves and then start adding them to the spreadsheet. Then at the end of the week, I'd print out what I had done and double-check it with the actual cds to make sure I didn't miss any. Not really sure how long exactly it took. But once it's done, it's easy to add to it every few days or so.

Mine is 4 pages. Page 1 is the collection. Page 2 is the want-list, page 3 is trade fodder, page 4 is my playlist for the week.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 11:17 am

I so hate cd-r's. There is no place for them on the shelves.

I put them in a lower drawer where they remain until I have found the original.

then I simply throw them away or give them to friends.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 11:28 am

ultmetal wrote:
When I put the CD away in the jewel cases I always make sure they are sitting straight up in the case so you can read them and see the logo straight.

I do this too.  Embarassed 

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 11:35 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Citanul wrote:
And I also struggle to find jewel cases.  I have a few extra right now, but I know that at some point I'm going to run out.

I purchase them in bulk on-line. Empty cases, clear trays and black trays are all easily purchased from places like Amazon or ebay.

The problem is the shipping costs. They can get quite horrific and my OCD has its limits.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 11:38 am

Citanul wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Citanul wrote:

The problem is the shipping costs.  They can get quite horrific and my OCD has its limits.

Oh yea. I just saw that you're in South Africa. Shipping costs could be an issue, coming from the States. Just gotta shop around I guess.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 11:41 am

I also do not count cdrs, MP3s or cassettes. I should probably add my cassettes to my list, but I haven't yet.

Like MG71, I have an Excel spreadsheet with multiple pages - page 1 is the collection, page 2 is music dvds, page 3 are my purchases for the year, etc... I started the spreadsheet back in about 1999 and have updated it continually since then. I have it saved in multiple places in case my laptop craps out.

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 12:58 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
When I put the CD away in the jewel cases I always make sure they are sitting straight up in the case so you can read them and see the logo straight.

Anyone else who does this end up searching some disc labels for ANY sign of which part is "up?" I've had a few where it was the barely visible record label logo that finally gave away which way it was supposed to go. Those are the moments where I feel I might be taking this whole business too far.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 1:07 pm

Runicen wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Anyone else who does this end up searching some disc labels for ANY sign of which part is "up?"  I've had a few where it was the barely visible record label logo that finally gave away which way it was supposed to go.  Those are the moments where I feel I might be taking this whole business too far.

I do that. I'll look for the record label and line the cd up that way. If that doesn't exist, I'll just put the cd in whichever way looks more visually appealing to me.

After that, I take a good long look at myself in the mirror and wonder why I take so long to put cds away. Then go pay a third of that attention to my kids.  Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 337331 

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 1:42 pm

I used to have a thing about cutouts, promos, drill holes, slashed barcodes, and record club editions. These days if it is cheap enough I don't care. I'd still prefer not to have them, but it's not a deal breaker if the price is right.

I also can't stand piles of cds. But that is more the irritation when they inevitably get knocked over.

I'll also put away friends cds who don't put them back in their cases. In several instances this is quite a chore but damned if I'll let them just sit out uncased. It's kind of a running joke not to let me see a cd just sitting out. Helped a friend move who had his collection on a large spindle. I about lost my sh*t at that. I also don't like discs left in machines either.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 7:23 am

I don't count CDR's either, like MG, a place order til I buy the real thing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anal things a music collector will do?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2