Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anal things a music collector will do?

Go down 
+22
Gryphon-kl
metalheaded
brokentulsa
Chairman_Smith
Citanul
exanimate
DallasBlack
Gilbert
stormspell
Thrasher73
stepcousin
80s Metal Lady
manny
Eyesore
choosemetal
Witchfinder
tohostudios
ultmetal
mikeinfla
Runicen
BillRoxx
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BillRoxx
Metal master
Metal master
BillRoxx

Number of posts : 976

Anal things a music collector will do? Empty
PostSubject: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 4:05 pm

I was almost laughing at myself when I was thinking of this, but what things do you collectors do someone may think is anal?

I'll start ok, I like to have all the logos on my CDs facing up so when I open the jewel case it is in the right viewing location. Also if it is in a digi pack or envelope.
Back to top Go down
http://www.roxxproductions.com
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 4:19 pm

I'll second having the discs "right side up" in the case. Friends of mine know exactly how to put the discs back in.

Probably two other anal things: when the disc is packaged in a cardboard envelope or sleeve, I always make sure the overlap part of it (where the tabs are folded into the envelope itself, if that makes sense) are touching the label side rather than the reflective side of the disc. It's probably total superstition and not helpful at all, but having the reflective side against the sheer side of the disc envelope just seems "safer" to me.

The last one? I save the stupid little "promo" stickers ("Featuring the hit single..." etc.) from the shrink wrap of every disc I buy and put them in a big notebook. It's kind of a neat chronology of what I was buying... or at least, whatever I was buying that had one of those stickers on it.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 5:34 pm

Years ago when CD's used to come in long boxes I saved every box. The boxes were used to fill in the gaps left by LP's. Remember those? I think they were called CD long boxes.

I also like the logo where I can see it and it has to be centered. I used to save the promo stickers but don't any more.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 5:54 pm

When I put the CD away in the jewel cases I always make sure they are sitting straight up in the case so you can read them and see the logo straight.

I replace any cracked jewel case.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 6:09 pm

Resealable Polyclear covers over all my records.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 6:35 pm

When I buy a CD that has a sticker on it saying something like "Featuring "song xxxxx" I try like hell to peel that sticker off of the cellophane and stick it on the CD case.  It pisses me off when the sticker either tears or has no adhesive left by the time I get it off the cellophane.

It sounds really anal (and admittedly it is) but it started because after a decade has passed and I dig the CD out again, I like to remember what was supposed to be the "featured track".  This helps remind me of why I bought the thing in the first place.  Plus it's amazing how many times my favorite track off a CD is not the "featured track" after time passes.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 6:37 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Resealable Polyclear covers over all my records.

Me too, but not resealable. I put all of them in a jacket, I prefer the "thick" feeling 4 mil ones like they used in record stores years ago.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 6:39 pm

tohostudios wrote:
When I buy a CD that has a sticker on it saying something like "Featuring "song xxxxx" I try like hell to peel that sticker off of the cellophane and stick it on the CD case.  It pisses me off when the sticker either tears or has no adhesive left by the time I get it off the cellophane.

It sounds really anal (and admittedly it is) but it started because after a decade has passed and I dig the CD out again, I like to remember what was supposed to be the "featured track".  This helps remind me of why I bought the thing in the first place.  Plus it's amazing how many times my favorite track off a CD is not the "featured track" after time passes.

It got to the point where I wold just "cut it out" and then tape it to the jewel case. I know what you mean. I stopped doing this but used to do it all the time then I guess I just go over it.... I think the last outside packaging I saved was Stryper's Reborn because it came in Yellow cellophane. I carefully opened that up and put it back on the cd when not listening to it.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 6:46 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

It got to the point where I wold just "cut it out" and then tape it to the jewel case. I know what you mean. I stopped doing this but used to do it all the time then I guess I just go over it.... I think the last outside packaging I saved was Stryper's Reborn because it came in Yellow cellophane. I carefully opened that up and put it back on the cd when not listening to it.

I actually feel a sense of relief when I start to try to peel the sticker off and realize it's already affixed to the CD case under the cellophane.   lol!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 7:44 pm

Also I get pissed if the jewel case gets scuffed. I like them to look new all the time.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 7:58 pm

What about when the "teeth" on the spindle are all broken and the CD won't stay in the tray because of it?  That's another one of my pet peeves when I buy CDs.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 8:02 pm

All my vinyl is in 3 mil sleeves. Eventually, I will replace all of the inner sleeves with poly-lined paper sleeves.

I put my digipaks in their own plastic, resealable sleeves. I started doing this after I lost several digipaks to water damage.

I put all my japanese import cds in plastic sleeves also - mostly so I can preserve the obi strips.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 8:06 pm

I got a few plastic sleaves for free. I'm going to have buy em now since I love them. Also, if a CD case is cracked just seeing the case starts to get me annoyed.
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 9:26 pm

Back in the day, I used trim the plastic wrap from any kind of album-related sticker on the wrap, then keep them in the booklet. Then I got older and lazier and said screw that nonsense. Haha.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 10:04 pm

I have all my CD's in alphabetical order and in the order of their release. Bootlegs go behind the legit discography, and those go by order of concert or demos where recorded.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 10:24 pm

All cds are stored alphabetically by band name then by order of release. I replace any cracked or broken cases. I hate any and all stickers on the cases. The used ones I get usually have the price sticker on the cover and then the cd info on the tray. I peel those things off and any residue gets the goo gone treatment.
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 10:37 pm

I agree I hate the sticker residue on the jewel case.
Back to top Go down
BillRoxx
Metal master
Metal master
BillRoxx

Number of posts : 976

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2014 12:37 am

Mikeinfla I did that with my reborncd too!! Thought I was probably the only one! Lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.roxxproductions.com
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2014 1:24 am

tohostudios wrote:
What about when the "teeth" on the spindle are all broken and the CD won't stay in the tray because of it?  That's another one of my pet peeves when I buy CDs.

I can't stand that. They sometimes break on DVD cases, too. That's one of the things I don't like about getting CDs and DVDs through the mail. I got a King Of The Hill DVD from Amazon the other day. Not only were the teeth broken, but part of the case. I'm going to need a replacement as the discs (and they are two-sided) won't stay in. It's a clear case, so it will be more difficult to find a replacement.

Same thing with CDs. Some cases are clear where the CD snaps in so you can see artwork underneath. If the teeth snap off, I feel I need to find a clear replacement which may be a little harder to find than the solid gray ones.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2014 3:16 am

I'm a music collector but I won't do anal things.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2014 3:17 am

007 wrote:
All cds are stored alphabetically by band name then by order of release. I replace any cracked or broken cases. I hate any and all stickers on the cases. The used ones I get usually have the price sticker on the cover and then the cd info on the tray. I peel those things off and any residue gets the goo gone treatment.

This is me as well.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2014 3:52 am

Runicen wrote:
It's probably total superstition and not helpful at all, but having the reflective side against the sheer side of the disc envelope just seems "safer" to me.

Actually, the label side is much more sensitive and prone to defects since the aluminum layer is just beneath the label surface, only protected by a very thin lacquer coating. While on the playing surface the polycarbonate (plastic) disc is about 1 mm thick...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2014 7:49 am

I am not too anal. But I make sure to take very good care of my cds. I never lend any. Nor let anyone touch them in my absence.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2014 5:33 pm

I'm anal about a lot of things, but my collection was never one of them. Though I really do HATE when the teeth are shattered. That is the worst.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2014 5:42 pm

I forgot when the teeth are broke. That drives me nuts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anal things a music collector will do?   Anal things a music collector will do? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anal things a music collector will do?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next