Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead

Go down 
+10
mc666
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
MetalRob331
manny
Boris2008
Thrasher73
Eyesore
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Empty
PostSubject: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 2:01 am

Quote :
This weekend, Sum 41 frontman Deryck Whibley announced that he is being treated in hospital after alcoholism “finally caught up” with him.

In a post shared on his website, entitled Rock Bottom, he discussed how his addiction to alcohol had led to his collapse, sharing a series of harrowing pictures from his hospital bed.

“Hey everyone, it’s Deryck here. Sorry I’ve been so m.i.a. lately, but I’ve been very sick in the hospital for a month and was pretty sick for a few weeks leading up to my trip to the hospital,” he wrote. “The reason I got so sick is from all the hard boozing I've been doing over the years. It finally caught up to me.”

He told of how he was “drinking hard every day” until one evening he poured himself another drink and sat down to watch a film when he collapsed unconscious.

“My fiancé got me rushed to the hospital where they put me into the intensive care unit,” he said.

“I was stuck with needles and IV’s all over. I was completely sedated the FIRST WEEK. When I finally woke up the next day I had no idea where I was. My mum and step dad were standing over me. I was so freaked out. My liver and kidney’s collapsed on me. Needless to say it scared me straight.”

Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Deryck-Whibley

“My fiancé got me rushed to the hospital where they put me into the intensive care unit,” he said.

“I was stuck with needles and IV’s all over. I was completely sedated the FIRST WEEK. When I finally woke up the next day I had no idea where I was. My mum and step dad were standing over me. I was so freaked out. My liver and kidney’s collapsed on me. Needless to say it scared me straight.”

The musician – who was once married to Avril Lavigne – can no longer drink as doctors have told him that if he has “one drink the docs say I will die”.

Whibley’s pictures will shock many, who remember the musician as a pop-punk kid pin-up; a skateboarding guitarist with huge dimples and enviably spiky hair.

The Canadian singer was born in 1980 to a single teenage mother. They struggled financially and were forced to move regularly to make ends meet. He never met his father and later in his career wrote a track, Dear Father, venting his frustrations with having been “ignored”.

His pop punk band, Sum 41, rose to fame in the early 00s, selling over 30million albums. He briefly dated Paris Hilton, before marrying Avril Lavigne in July 2006.

Lavigne has suggested that she helped Whibley deal with his earlier demons – namely drugs.

“I'm the best thing that's ever happened to him, He doesn't do drugs,” she said in 2007. “Clearly, he used to, because he talked about it, but I wouldn't be with someone who did, and I made that very clear to him when we first started dating.”

However, their marriage was shortlived and they split in 2007 citing “irreconcilable differences”. He suffered problems with his back and suffered a herniated disc in 2007 and again in 2010, when Sum 41 were forced to end their Australian and American tour.

One by one, members of the band began to leave, including long-standing drummer Stevo Jocz – who Whibley had known from school. Whibley is currently the only original founding member of the group. He became more and more unrecognisable as pictures emerged last summer of the 34-year-old singer looking noticeably bloated and dishevelled at a Tom Petty gig.

The band’s sixth album (their first since 2011) was expected to be released later this year, although it remains to be seen how Whibley’s medical condition will impact the release.

However, he remains positive about his future.

“I have my passion and inspiration back for writing music,” he continued. “I already have a few song ideas for new songs. Soon it will be time to start making an album and getting back to touring again. See you all sometime! There will be more posts again so stay up to date friends.”

Guess he's out of the hospital now, but the dude looks horrible.

Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead 0519-deryk-whibley-splash-4

That's the brink of death right there. One more drink.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 2:10 am

Shame that the other guys have left the band. I always hoped they would do a serious metal album.

Oh well.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 3:02 am

I'm like you,I was always hoping for a metal album from these guys.They were huge metal fans and had a lot of good stuff.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 3:25 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
I'm like you,I was always hoping for a metal album from these guys.They were huge metal fans and had a lot of good stuff.

The "brown" guitarist went on to do a metal project (somewhat metal, anyway) called Brown Brigade, but it was a bit goofy. It's aight.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 6:04 pm

It's decision time for the guy right now, live or die. It's been 11 years since rehab for me and about half of the guys I was there with are now gone.

Hope he finds something to hang on to.

I always liked Sum 41 I thought that they were a cut above a lot of the rest and the metal influence was obvious.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 2:39 am

Odds aren't good for this guy, that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 9:59 am

I am not a fan of this guy's music, but holy shit!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 10:15 am

If a doctor telling you "one more drink will kill you" doesn't motivate you to stop, nothing will!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 10:18 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
If a doctor telling you "one more drink will kill you" doesn't motivate you to stop, nothing will!!  

Duff McKagan was in the exact same position as this guy in the early 1990s. Between the drugs and the liquor, his organs were practically pickled.

I was never a huge Sum 41 fan but I hope this guy can get his sh*t together.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 11:15 am

That's a shame. Hope he gets his act together. They had a song or 2 that I liked, but I can't remember what they were now.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 11:16 am

Not really a fan, but I hope he survives. A friend's Dad was told the same thing and he stopped drinking and lived for another 35 years.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 3:43 pm

I hope he can pull it out. I can't imagine the amount of alcohol it would take to do this to a body. Imcredible.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 3:36 am

I've been a huge beer drinker most of my life, but I cannot imagine the amount of alcohol required to do this amount of damage. I saw a Discovery program about a guy who required 3 liters of vodka a day. He vomited constantly & convulsed/shook. He was a miserable zombie without it though. It was a sad thing to watch.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 4:17 am

He would have to be drinking morning till night, heavily.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 9:21 am

Wow... While he was never what I would have termed a "good looking" guy, the booze aged this guy about 15 years prematurely.

When Shane MacGowan looks better than you, you're doing something wrong.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 10:41 am

Looks like he might have lost some teeth, too.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 6:15 pm

Runicen wrote:
Wow...  While he was never what I would have termed a "good looking" guy, the booze aged this guy about 15 years prematurely.  

When Shane MacGowan looks better than you, you're doing something wrong.

Unfortunately, Shane doesn't look better than him. Shane doesn't look better than anyone!!

Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead 9_1384519888

How that guy has made it to 56 is baffling!  Shocked 
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 7:40 pm

Jesus, he looks like one of the walking dead !
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 10:17 am

mc666 wrote:
I've been a huge beer drinker most of my life, but I cannot imagine the amount of alcohol required to do this amount of damage. I saw a Discovery program about a guy who required 3 liters of vodka a day. He vomited constantly & convulsed/shook. He was a miserable zombie without it though. It was a sad thing to watch.

seriously. like, how do you not die? (I understand a lot of people do obviously) Or maybe the question is better worded like, how do you stay alive?
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 7:25 am

Saw the news report on this the other day - really pretty harrowing. There were photos of him last year looking pretty rough and bloated and I guess this explains why. I mean Deryck is virtually unrecognisable now, hope he manages to pull it together.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 6:25 pm

It's sad to see the bad shape that he's in. I really hope that he can make it through all of this.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 9:04 am

Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead SNF16BIZTEET_280_804639a

I don't know - Shane's looking pretty good when he remembers to put his teeth in...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead   Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sum 41 Vocalist Nearly Dead
Page 1 of 1