Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?

Go down 
+22
GrandNational
krokus
MetalGuy71
nevermore
Witchfinder
Orion Crystal Ice
onrypt
Fat Freddy
DakotaRogers
chewie
thejokeriv
Hadley
glassprison
Icy Grave
Lari
Gilbert
Citanul
snooloui
Boris2008
BearOnUnicycle
Short-Fuse
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Empty
PostSubject: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 1:01 pm

Ahhhh....2004. Can you believe that was a decade ago? Which metal albums from 2004 can be considered great? Here's some of mine:

Exodus-Tempo of the Damned-Exodus reform with the heaviest sounding album of the year.If it weren't for a few filler songs it would be considered a true classic.

Finntroll- Nattfodd-Excellent Black/ Death Humppa Folk Metal .Terrific songwriting-highly recommended for people looking for the unusual.

Death Angel-The Art of Dying-amazing comeback album from an amazing band. Organizationish in a good way. Deserves to be considered to be among the best of their discography.

Orphaned Land- Mabool-Epic sounding Symphonic Middle Eastern Death Metal. For those of you into eclectic extreme metal with amazing arrangements and killer vocals, this album is among the best albums ever recorded.

Into Eternity-Buried in Oblivion-Progressive Death/Power metal with Black Metal vocals also. Probably the best album of 2004.Imagine a much faster Opeth without the dreary boring parts mixed with Judas Priest.

Honorable Mention: Mastodon-Leviathan, 3 Inches of Blood-Advance and Vanquish, Wintersun-Wintersun.

Overrated:Probot, Megadeth-The System Has Failed.

You want to feel old? Job for a Cowboy is celebrating their ten year anniversary of their debut demo this year  Smile 

What are your favorite albums from 2004?
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 1:25 pm

Dragonforce's Sonic Firestorm is the only one I'd call classic. Keep in mind I haven't even heard that one. Maybe something like Nightiwish with Once, and Dio's Master of the Moon. And some extreme metal I have no idea about. Aside from that, can't think of any others. My musical realm mostly lies in between 86-94 and from around 2011 onwards though, which might be an indication there is nothing to listen to Razz
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 3:52 pm

I even looked at lists from that year to try to find something that I'd call classic and I still came up blank.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 3:59 pm

Hibria-Defying the Rules and Vision Divine-Stream of Consciousness are my favourites from that year. I don't know if I would call them classics though.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 4:12 pm

On the prog-metal side, there was Threshold's Subsurface and Ayreon's The Human Equation.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9907

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 4:13 pm

I agree with tempo of the damned being a thrash metal classic.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6353

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 5:11 pm

None. None are classics. 2004 just happened.

Ok, maybe Skyclad's A Semblance of Normality. An awesome record and an instant classic the moment I heard it.

Nightwish's Once was also awesome and Saxon's Lionheart, but classics? I don't know.... like I said, just HAPPENED SERIOUSLY
Back to top Go down
Icy Grave
Metal student
Metal student
Icy Grave

Number of posts : 229

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 5:13 pm

Behemoth - Demigod

Cattle Decapitation - Humanure

Don't know about the Cattle Decap selection since they were pretty lackluster after Human Jerky (which is mindblowing, by the way), but it was definitely a massive step-up in quality after To Serve Man. I wish I could have picked The Harvest Floor, but that was released in 2009. :c
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40002

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 5:32 pm

I think it's a little too early to be calling releases just a decade old classics, but that could just be me.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 6:47 pm

I think sometimes an album is so original and brilliant that you just know that it's going to be genre defining almost straight away so I think that 10 years is plenty of time for a record to be 'classic' I just don't really think I can think of any from 2004.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 7:24 pm

2004 mostly featured albums I like quite a bit but would really hesitate to call "classic"; for instance, Dokken's Hell to Pay, Megadeth's The System Has Failed, Saxon's Lionheart, etc.

If could be called classic, I would probably go with Nightwish--Once
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 7:25 pm

How about Iced Earth-The Glorious Burden?
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 7:38 pm

Iron Maiden - Brave New World, now a classic..
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 7:45 pm

Iron Maiden - Brave New World, now a classic.. wrote:

It's one of my favorite Maiden albums. But I'm pretty sure Short-Fuse meant only albums released in 2004  Smile 
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 7:47 pm

This one was also pretty good:

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 7:51 pm

glassprison wrote:

It's one of my favorite Maiden albums. But I'm pretty sure Short-Fuse meant only albums released in 2004  Smile 

Miss that part - LOL!!!!!

Not a whole lot that year, but I'll throw in Motorhead - Inferno
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 7:51 pm

glassprison wrote:
This one was also pretty good:

I'd have to agree with this one. I really didn't like TNT until I heard this album.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 8:07 pm

"Tempo of the Damned" without a doubt. Here's some others:

Tourniquet- Microscopic View of a Telescopic Realm
Skeletonwitch- Beyond the Permafrost
Hirax- The New Age of Terror
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 8:35 pm

Wow, looking at a list from the following year really makes you realize what a lackluster year '04 was aside from a few exceptions. 2005 gave us:

Opeth--Ghost Reveries
Nevermore--This Godless Endeavor
Kreator--Enemy of God
Arch Enemy--Doomsday Machine
Dream Theater--Octavarium
Judas Priest--Angel of Retribution
Kamelot--The Black Halo
Crashdïet--Rest In Sleaze (THE classic album of the Swedish sleaze scene)

and many others...
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 9:11 pm

Listening to that Orphaned Land record for the first time now, which makes me completely unqualified to say whether it's a classic or not, but it is very, very good!!

Were these the guys who got sent a mail bomb from Norway?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37743

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 9:54 pm

I'd second the vote for Iced Earth's "Glorious Burden."

...and hey, I still love that Probot album!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
onrypt
Metal student
Metal student
onrypt

Number of posts : 174

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Really, really really wanted to love the Probot album, but……….
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/P207b
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 10:12 am

I submit Domine - Emperor Of The Black Runes. Sword and sorcery, barbarian power metal, with a side of Tull.

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7622

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 10:37 am

Nothing.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26124

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 5:32 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Listening to that Orphaned Land record for the first time now, which makes me completely unqualified to say whether it's a classic or not, but it is very, very good!!

Were these the guys who got sent a mail bomb from Norway?

No that would be Salem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?   Which albums a decade later can we now call classic? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which albums a decade later can we now call classic?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next