Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record

Go down 
+27
Short-Fuse
tohostudios
80s Metal Lady
thejokeriv
Orion Crystal Ice
allthingsmetal
ZombieHavoc
brokentulsa
Vexer6
DallasBlack
manny
DakotaRogers
Required Fields
Boris2008
ElectricEye93
ultmetal
exact33
BearOnUnicycle
Gilbert
chewie
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Lari
MoonChild
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Forgotten Gems????
Iron Maiden - No Prayer For The Dying
Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 6 ]
Motorhead - March Or Die
Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 3 ]
Anthrax - Volume 8 - The Threat Is Real
Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 3 ]
Judas Priest - Ram It Down
Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 15% [ 7 ]
Kiss - Hot In The Shade
Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Black Sabbath - Forbidden
 7% [ 3 ]
Dio - Angry Machines
 7% [ 3 ]
AC/DC - Blow Up Your Video
Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 6 ]
Celtic Frost - Vanity/Nemesis
Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Aerosmith - Rock In A Hard Place
Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 9% [ 4 ]
Accept - Death Row
Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Saxon - Solid Ball of Rock
Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 5 ]
Overkill - WFO
Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 9% [ 4 ]
Cirith Ungol - Paradise Lost
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 46

AuthorMessage
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 1:28 am

I went with Saxon..I love that album.. I also like the Kiss Album Hot In The Shade alot..
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 2:07 am

Vexer6 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:
My vote is for Ram It Down, a fantastic and criminally underrated album, the title track alone is easily one Priest's best songs of all time.

No Prayer For The Dying-pretty decent album overall, like Tailgunner and Assassin.

Kiss-Hot In The Shade, OK album, not as good as Crazy Nights, but I slightly prefer it over Revenge.

AC/DC-Blow Up Your Video, pretty good album, wouldn't call it their worst.

Motorhead-March Or Die, decent overall, I prefer it over 1916.

Dio-Angry Machines, not his finest hour, but still has some good songs.

Black Sabbath-Forbidden, pretty underrated, I prefer it over the likes of Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die.

Accept-Death Row(wouldn't Eat The Heat be a better example?)- good solid Accept, no more no less.

Aerosmith-Rock In A Hard Place, rather meh album, mostly forgettable with a few decent songs spread out.

Solid Ball Of Rock-Pretty good overall, love "Can't Get Enough", "I'm On Fire" and the title track.

Nowhere did I say these were the band's worst albums.  I said these were forgotten albums.  
I know that, I never said you did, I was merely stating my opinion on them.

Sorry. I misread your post.  Carry on.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 3:40 am

Accept's Death Row needs more recognition too. The mix was a hot mess on that album; another one like WFO that I'd like to see remixed for a reissue.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 4:14 am

corplhicks wrote:
Accept's Death Row needs more recognition too. The mix was a hot mess on that album; another one like WFO that I'd like to see remixed for a reissue.
I didn't detect anything wrong with the mix.

"Guns R Us" is one of my favorite Accept songs.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 8:43 am

I went with March or Die, because I listen to it most out of the ones listed, and more than most other Motorhead albums.

However, I like most of the records listed quite a bit. Ram It Down is excellent (love Turbo, as well). No Prayer, Forbidden, Angry Machines, Blow up Your Video--all excellent.

Hot in the Shade is probably my second to least favorite KISS album (I loathe Carnival, and it's the only one that does not have a single track I like on it), but overall it's not bad.

The Anthrax one--well, I've never been able to get into Bush-era Anthrax. As a kid, and now (as a way more open minded adult).
Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 10:15 am

WFO--I know many dislike the production. I actually this this album "as is". I love the "plunky-ness" of the bass. Most of the songs have the speed, the crunch, etc that I love from Overkill. But I am biased as they have always been my of my favorites.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 10:18 am

Dio or Priest, how people can like 'Turbo' but not 'Ram It Down' is a total mystery to me. :p
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 10:30 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Dio or Priest, how people can like 'Turbo' but not 'Ram It Down' is a total mystery to me. :p

Sound near identical to me. I don't hate either one, but they are far from favorites either.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 11:08 am

I think that if I was going for a 'forgotten' AC/DC album, it would be Flick of the Switch followed by Fly on the Wall. Obviously it's hard to have a truly 'forgotten' record when you are one of the biggest recording acts of all time. Forgotten Dio would be Strange Highways which is a great record.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 11:10 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

How anyone can like either is the real mystery!  lol! 
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 11:14 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

The one thing that seems to weird to me is when people like the genre that Turbo was kind of trying to fit itself into, but then don't like Turbo.

So, like someone will like whatever 80s keyboard-heavy, commercial metal album by whatever band, but then not like one by Judas Priest? Or Saxon? To me, a band like Priest or Saxon can do almost anything better. So if I like 80s keyboard-heavy commercial metal, then yeah, they are going to do that better than the bands already in that genre.

So if you don't like metal with keyboards and stuff, then sure, it makes sense you don't like it when Priest does it. But otherwise, I don't get it.

Did that make sense?
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 11:18 am

Vexer6 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

There's not really a problem with Death Row or W.F.O. in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 11:30 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

The one thing that seems to weird to me is when people like the genre that Turbo was kind of trying to fit itself into, but then don't like Turbo.

So, like someone will like whatever 80s keyboard-heavy, commercial metal album by whatever band, but then not like one by Judas Priest? Or Saxon? To me, a band like Priest or Saxon can do almost anything better. So if I like 80s keyboard-heavy commercial metal, then yeah, they are going to do that better than the bands already in that genre.

So if you don't like metal with keyboards and stuff, then sure, it makes sense you don't like it when Priest does it. But otherwise, I don't get it.

Did that make sense?

Nothing against keys, not really into that mid 80's commercial music that some call pop metal. Didn't really like it when Priest, Saxon, Ozzy (to an extent) or Scorpions did it. The only band who came from something grittier that it seemed to work for was Whitesnake.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 12:00 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

Not to me - I much prefer Turbo over Ram It Down. As uneven as Turbo is, the songs on Ram It Down just weren't as strong IMHO. On Turbo, they tried something different and it didn't 100% work. Ram It Down seemed like leftovers that didn't make in on Turbo, but with heavier guitar tones, sometimes played a little faster. Priest on phoned-in auto-pilot.....
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 12:13 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Ram It Down seemed like leftovers that didn't make in on Turbo, but with heavier guitar tones, sometimes played a little faster. Priest on phoned-in auto-pilot.....

I could be wrong, and mixing up stuff I read in the past on Wikipedia, but I think that's what Ram It Down is. Stuff written during Turbo that didn't make it to the album.

I could be totally wrong though.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 12:15 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Ram It Down seemed like leftovers that didn't make in on Turbo, but with heavier guitar tones, sometimes played a little faster. Priest on phoned-in auto-pilot.....

I could be wrong, and mixing up stuff I read in the past on Wikipedia, but I think that's what Ram It Down is. Stuff written during Turbo that didn't make it to the album.

You are correct.  Turbo was originally going to be a double album called Twin Turbos, but that idea was scrapped and the majority of Ram It Down is comprised of the leftover tracks.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 12:19 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

You are correct.  Turbo was originally going to be a double album called Twin Turbos, but that idea was scrapped and the majority of Ram It Down is comprised of the leftover tracks.

Now I remember reading that as well!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 12:59 pm

007 wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

There's not really a problem with Death Row or W.F.O. in my opinion.

WFO -- DD's bass drowns out guitars and is even more plunky than Under the Influence. Some people do enjoy this, though.

Death Row -- Kaufmann was a great drummer but had no experience producing a record, and it shows. There's no punch and grit like the previous albums, and it's far too polished for songs that are supposed to be heavier than previous efforts. Some people don't mind this, of course.

Both albums are strongly written, regardless.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 3:49 pm

Iron Maiden-No Prayer for the Dying- After having a winning streak of 7 killer studio albums in a row, I was expecting more of the same, but this album was frankly disappointing. I still somewhat like it, but it took me years to warm up to this album

Judas Priest- Ram it Down- I actually like this album alot and would get frequent spins from me, when it was a new release. The production dates it somewhat but still a cool little album.

KISS-Hot in the Shade- Its ok, but their is no flow to the album's sequencing and just too much filler. IMO the worst album in their discography.

Black Sabbath-Forbidden- I have been a fan of every incarnation of this band, but I am no fan of this album. Uninspired, quickly put together and sounds like a contractual obligation

Dio-Angry Machines- I love this album, but it was not always the case. A bit of a let down after the stellar 'Strange Highways' but still a good album. Dry, with plodding tunes that add extra weight to the tunes.

Aerosmith- Rock In a Hard Place- you already know how I feel about this album

Accept- Death Row- Not a bad album but IMO not very memorable, also sounds a bit naked without the sharp duo guitar attack, with Wolf doing all the guitar parts

Saxon- Solid Ball of Rock- Is Solid rock of an album, still on their more commercial side of the fence, but this time the lads brought the tunes to the party.

Overkill- WFO- Excellent album, love it

AC/DC-Blow Up Your Video- AC/DC is AC/DC, thus this album rules.

Never owned the Motorhead, Antharx, Celtic Frost or Cirtith Ungol, so have no opinions on those discs.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 7:12 pm

Solid Ball Of Rock is one of my favorite Saxon albums, so that easily got my vote.

Second choice would be Paradise Lost by Cirith Ungol. Maybe I should have voted for that one anyway, since it has no votes.

I'm surprised how many people like Ram It Down. I bought it on cassette when it came out. I remember the commercial for it: "Pick it up, put it on, ram it down!" (or something like that) with a fist ramming it on a turntable, and imagined someone actually doing that to a vinyl record and breaking it. I had recently become a big fan of Priest and it was the first album I got right when it was released. The metal magazines had lots of features on Priest (I kept a scrapbook). It was promoted very well. I listened to it a lot, but never could get into it. "Blood Red Skies" was the best track, the rest ho hum or just awful. I really tried to like it, though. It must have come out near summer time, because I remember laying out in the sun working on a tan listening to that cassette on my walkman.

Last edited by 80s Metal Lady on Mon May 05, 2014 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 7:23 pm

DakotaRogers wrote:
"Volume 8..." by Anthrax, I guess.

I went with this one too. I enjoy John Bush's vocals.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 8:08 pm

I'd forgotten how good that Anthrax record was in parts. It's a massive shame that John Bush has missed out on the big time despite scoring a major deal with AS, then joining a successful band like Anthrax and seeing their sales plummet. That's without mentioning the fact that he turned down Metallica! The guy must be cursed!  fainting 
Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 6:55 am

Slayer's Divine Intervention should be added to this list...
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 8:40 am

Short-Fuse wrote:
Slayer's Divine Intervention should be added to this list...

Definitely, and that would've gotten my vote.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 2:12 pm

Went with Sabbath's Forbidden album but I like KISS' Hot in the Shade a lot. There is a problem with filler and too many tracks but there's some really good '80s commercial hard rock on the album.

I've always liked Ram It Down. I'm surprised it wasn't better received since it was harder than Turbo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record   Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Poll: Your Favorite Forgotten Record
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next