Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

QUEENSRYCHE

Go down 
+48
tul
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
MetallicSeminarian
Rex
Headbanger Man
assault_attack
Lovecraft
Metal Misfit
ZombieHavoc
glassprison
MetalRob331
Thrasher73
stormspell
mr.electric39
stpatrik
Runicen
Witchfinder
Chairman_Smith
metalinmyveins
chewie
Svengo
Lari
manny
BearOnUnicycle
Temple of Blood
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
mlotek
Dark Horseman
bgsully
Sutekh
bass63
James B.
Required Fields
Wayne
Citanul
exact33
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
thejokeriv
Boris2008
Eyesore
Vexer6
corplhicks
ultmetal
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 4:02 pm

chewie wrote:
As someone mentioned earlier(Shawn Of Fire?) he should just go and do a Peter Gabriel sort of thing and do HIS own music that isn't tied to QR.

No he shouldn't, not if he expects to make any money.

"Operation: Mindcrime" is a more marketable name/concept than simply Geoff Tate. I bet his solo albums didn't earn him $500 total.

It makes sense to expand on those albums from a financial POV, but if he's not gonna bring the metal then it won't work. So it won't work.

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 4:43 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
chewie wrote:
As someone mentioned earlier(Shawn Of Fire?) he should just go and do a Peter Gabriel sort of thing and do HIS own music that isn't tied to QR.

No he shouldn't, not if he expects to make any money.

"Operation: Mindcrime" is a more marketable name/concept than simply Geoff Tate.  I bet his solo albums didn't earn him $500 total.

It makes sense to expand on those albums from a financial POV, but if he's not gonna bring the metal then it won't work.  So it won't work.

I'm just thinking if he wants to carve out his own audience(like PG and RP did... even Kevin Moore to some extent.) and not just QR fans. If the albums are good is all that really counts anyway. If he works off of that template and they suck, what's the point? I'd rather hear something inspired than just another bad metal album.

If they are good then we know that he can still bring "the metal". Smile
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 4:47 pm

chewie wrote:
As someone mentioned earlier(Shawn Of Fire?) he should just go and do a Peter Gabriel sort of thing and do HIS own music that isn't tied to QR. Hell, even Robert Plant went and did his solo thing and I think it sounds really good until around Now and Zen.

Probably, but in the case of someone like Peter Gabriel, he left Genesis when they were hugely popular still. They weren't struggling in clubs towards the end of their career. If Geoff had left QR after Empire and started doing solo stuff that had some similarity to that, he might have had a shot. At this point only QR fans care and most of them don't want to hear something too far removed from that QR sound.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 5:06 pm

ultmetal wrote:
chewie wrote:
As someone mentioned earlier(Shawn Of Fire?) he should just go and do a Peter Gabriel sort of thing and do HIS own music that isn't tied to QR. Hell, even Robert Plant went and did his solo thing and I think it sounds really good until around Now and Zen.

Probably, but in the case of someone like Peter Gabriel, he left Genesis when they were hugely popular still. They weren't struggling in clubs towards the end of their career. If Geoff had left QR after Empire and started doing solo stuff that had some similarity to that, he might have had a shot. At this point only QR fans care and most of them don't want to hear something too far removed from that QR sound.

I can totally see that.

But it will still comes down to the music. If it still sounds like what he has been doing under the QR banner, then he might as well as move on in a different direction.

OR just write better songs!  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 5:19 pm

ultmetal wrote:
chewie wrote:

Bingo.

Geoff needs the kind of songwriting partner he had with DeGarmo. Frankly, QUEENSRYCHE need that too. They are even harder to find than great vocalists.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 8:10 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Quote :

Bingo.

Geoff needs the kind of songwriting partner he had with DeGarmo.  Frankly, QUEENSRYCHE need that too.  They are even harder to find than great vocalists.

I'll second that.  Not sure if I've brought this up on the board, but in comparing FU and QR2013, I feel like FU has songs with no vibe or performance and QR2013 has vibe and performance without any really memorable songs - it's like a tech demo for Promised Land, cool, but not a lot of meat to it.

Kind of a more dramatic reading of the comparison between David Gilmour and Roger Waters post-Pink Floyd split.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 8:25 am

I understand his money related reasons. But artistically, I think he could explore some darker, slightly more laid back music...sort of a blend of Peter Gabriel and Katatonia...and it be really cool.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 8:39 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I understand his money related reasons. But artistically, I think he could explore some darker, slightly more laid back music...sort of a blend of Peter Gabriel and Katatonia...and it be really cool.

I agree with this, and I also agree with ToB, I have no idea what the sales of his two solo albums were, but since he rushed into the studio to record his scab version of Queensryche, I am sure the sales were dismal since Tate did not bother to promote it.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 7:41 pm

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I agree with this, and I also agree with ToB, I have no idea what the sales of his two solo albums were, but since he rushed into the studio to record his scab version of Queensryche, I am sure the sales were dismal since Tate did not bother to promote it

Yeah, he could definitely do some darker, proggier stuff, which could be excellent. Problem is, as much as he says he wants to distance himself from Queensryche, he can't. He knows that's where the money is, which is why he's now going by Operation: Mindcrime and not Geoff Tate.

As for Frequency Unknown and the La Torre-fronted Queensryche album, I think the latter is far superior. In fact, I think it's a great album overall. Frequency Unknown is a mess. It's a collection of mostly leftover tracks that weren't good enough for Jason Slater's other bands. That said, I still think there are some good tunes on it, which I've mentioned before. "Weight of the World," shoddy production notwithstanding, is fantastic.

Great tune.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 7:54 pm

So this new trilogy will basically be Operation:Mindcrime parts III-V?

Talk about diluting the brand...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 9:29 pm

I have to confess I enjoyed 'Frequency Unknown', I did not think it was the best album Geoff Tate has been involved with, but I enjoyed it.

His first solo album was an interesting album. Not metal or prog, but a more reflective album that showed he is a more diverse songwriting, and songs lyrically were more personal. Sadly I was the one who liked it, since most reviews had called his self titled album crap.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 9:41 pm

Lari wrote:

yeah. Its his to do with what he wants but i think he runs the risk of overexposure.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 10:22 pm

Lari wrote:

That's what it sounds like, yeah. I'd probably look forward to it if OMII wasn't so lame. I still think that album has some great songs, like "The Hands" and "Re-Arrange You," but the story was so weak.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 10:24 pm

manny wrote:
I have to confess I enjoyed 'Frequency Unknown', I did not think it was the best album Geoff Tate has been involved with, but I enjoyed it.  

His first solo album was an interesting album. Not metal or prog, but a more reflective album that showed he is a more diverse songwriting, and songs lyrically were more personal. Sadly I was the one who liked it, since most reviews had called his self titled album crap.

I enjoyed his first solo album. Far from amazing, but a decent listen. It's not a go-to album, but I don't skip any tracks if they happen to shuffle into my life.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 11:17 pm

Eyesore wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I agree with this, and I also agree with ToB, I have no idea what the sales of his two solo albums were, but since he rushed into the studio to record his scab version of Queensryche, I am sure the sales were dismal since Tate did not bother to promote it

Yeah, he could definitely do some darker, proggier stuff, which could be excellent. Problem is, as much as he says he wants to distance himself from Queensryche, he can't. He knows that's where the money is, which is why he's now going by Operation: Mindcrime and not Geoff Tate.

As for Frequency Unknown and the La Torre-fronted Queensryche album, I think the latter is far superior. In fact, I think it's a great album overall. Frequency Unknown is a mess. It's a collection of mostly leftover tracks that weren't good enough for Jason Slater's other bands. That said, I still think there are some good tunes on it, which I've mentioned before. "Weight of the World," shoddy production notwithstanding, is fantastic.

Great tune.

That and "In The Hands Of God" are both good, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 11:24 pm

I still have yet to hear both F.U. (not top priority) and the self titled (much more interested in that one).
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 11:28 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Great tune.

That and "In The Hands Of God" are both good, IMO.

Yeah, that's one of the good ones. "Cold" is the other. The rest, mediocre at best to downright awful.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 11:53 pm

Eyesore wrote:
manny wrote:

I enjoyed his first solo album. Far from amazing, but a decent listen. It's not a go-to album, but I don't skip any tracks if they happen to shuffle into my life.

That's pretty much how I feel about that album too. I would have definitely preferred it if he'd done something like that after the split, but as you pointed out that wouldn't be where the money is.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 2:36 am

Runicen wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Quote :

Bingo.

Geoff needs the kind of songwriting partner he had with DeGarmo.  Frankly, QUEENSRYCHE need that too.  They are even harder to find than great vocalists.

I'll second that.  Not sure if I've brought this up on the board, but in comparing FU and QR2013, I feel like FU has songs with no vibe or performance and QR2013 has vibe and performance without any really memorable songs - it's like a tech demo for Promised Land, cool, but not a lot of meat to it.

Kind of a more dramatic reading of the comparison between David Gilmour and Roger Waters post-Pink Floyd split.

That is by far the best perspective I could share on both albums. I enjoyed FU way more than I thought I would, but it still felt rushed, incomplete, and uninspired. QR, on the other hand, felt hella inspired, but the songwriting was lacking. I've heard that album several times now and I can barely remember a single tune. But I enjoy listening to it.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 9:54 am

I still think FU sucks and love the S/T...... That said, I will say that FU is marginally better than Dedicated to chaos.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 10:23 am

thejokeriv wrote:
I still think FU sucks and love the S/T...... That said, I will say that FU is marginally better than Dedicated to chaos.

I agree. There are a couple of tolerable songs on FU but the S/T is much more memorable to me.

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 7:52 pm

I am repeating myself, but to me, the s/t sounds like a band trying to sound like Queensryche...or a band influenced by Queensryche, as opposed to being THE Queensryche. I'm not saying it's "bad", it just doesn't connect with me. I like the few songs I like on FU better than anything I like on the s/t.

Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 8:04 pm

manny wrote:

You know, I liked it too! He did something different & I think it worked.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 10:15 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I am repeating myself, but to me, the s/t sounds like a band trying to sound like Queensryche...or a band influenced by Queensryche, as opposed to being THE Queensryche. I'm not saying it's "bad", it just doesn't connect with me. I like the few songs I like on FU better than anything I like on the s/t.

Well, that's kind of to be expected, right?
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2014 9:38 am

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Well, that's kind of to be expected, right?

i think so. The S/T had a new singer, was the first time they have done anything remotely metal since Promised Land and I thought the songs were pretty good. I would not say the S/T ranks up there with the first 4 but when compared to FU it is a lot better (although I will admit the bar is not that high).

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 19 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

QUEENSRYCHE
Page 19 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next