Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)

Go down 
+19
MoonChild
Runicen
ZombieHavoc
Fat Freddy
exact33
Eyesore
ShadowAngel
Gilbert
deathisgain
Addy
mc666
corplhicks
nevermore
Lari
MetalRob331
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 9:48 pm

The Scorpions' track and the Metallica medley are the best tracks on this to me. I didn't mind the Glenn Hughes cover either. Corey Taylor didn't sound bad covering Rainbow In The Dark but the band backing him sounded more disappointing. The worst cover was Man On The Silver Mountain. Halford sounds at his absolute worst here. Since the Killswitch cover as well as the Doro one are a few years old it would have been nice to have someone else or even KsE and Doro to do a different song.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 10:20 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2014 5:59 am

Runicen wrote:
Ok, I didn't want to do it - but you forced my hand.

I'm putting the metal argument to bed once and for all.  You know who is TRU metal?  Dan fricken' Fogelberg.  Not a fan?  Well, then you're not metal.

Decades before the black metalers went up their mountains to burn churches and whatforth, he was up having his rocky mountain high...  blood pact with Satan.  Play the records backwards, people.  It's there for all to hear.

Manowar?  Hell, Fogelberg is the Mr. Miyagi of metal.  He taught them how to be badasses and they only got it half right.  One solid look and he would have struck you dead.

Oh, and the man's not dead.  He challenged the Valhallan gods to a duel and they forfeited, so he got Asgard - rainbow bridge and all.  

Take it back to the roots, folks.  That's all I'm asking.

tr00 
 So many good posts get ignored on this board!  Dio 

On topic: I loved the song Anthrax did Very Happy

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2014 8:19 pm

Painkiller wrote:
They should have used Ann Boleyn or John Arch.

That would have been great!!
Back to top Go down
onrypt
Metal student
Metal student
onrypt

Number of posts : 174

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Love Dio, Love Maiden.
Like some tracks on Maiden Heaven, like some tracks on this.
Written only as a comparison between two tribute albums.
Probably pick out a few on Amazon .mp3
Not a Tenacious D fan, but anyone that loves Dio can't be all bad in my book.
RIP RJD!!
Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/P207b
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2014 11:36 am

Scorpions track is the best. The Halford track is a bit embarrassing.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 11:47 am

My boss got a digital copy sent to him yesterday, so I took the liberty of making myself a copy. First impressions is that it's not a bad as some reviews would have you believe. I think there are more good songs than bad. Then again, I'm a big fan of tribute albums, so my opinion might be a bit skewed.

I'd agree that Glenn Hughes cheesy crooning is laughable and I'll be skipping that track. The Halford track was disappointing too. Sounds like he kinda phoned that one in. It could have been soooo much better. The only other one I didn't care for is the Killswitch Engage tune. Starts out ok, but when the harsh vocals kick in, I tune out. I'd heard that one before, so it didn't come as a surprise. Those are really the only 3 tracks I don't like.

Everything else sounds good to me. While not a fan of either Corey Taylor's Slipknot or Tenacious D, I think both of their contributions are well done. We got the bonus itune from Jasta, 'Buried Alive', which is very good as well.

Overall ,I think it's pretty good for what it is. I might have been a bit more critical or disappointed if I bought this full price as a new release, but for free, it's cool. I'll still want to get a physical copy for my collection, but I can wait till I find a cheap used copy.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2021 8:40 am

I threw this CD on this morning - it was a fun listen. Pretty good covers.
But let’s face it. No one is going to outdo DIO himself in these performances.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2021 10:16 am

Don't own this album yet. Need to check it out.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2021 9:56 am

Some of the tunes from this came up in my shuffle recently. It's not a bad album at all, as far as tribute albums go. Glenn Hughes is still over-the-top and ridiculous though.

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3