Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)

Go down 
+19
MoonChild
Runicen
ZombieHavoc
Fat Freddy
exact33
Eyesore
ShadowAngel
Gilbert
deathisgain
Addy
mc666
corplhicks
nevermore
Lari
MetalRob331
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 9:15 pm

Painkiller wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Once you start using the term "REAL METAL" you lose any credibility with me.  There is no such thing as REAL Metal or TRUE Metal.  

You don't have to like Slipknot or Stone Sour, but Pseudo-rapper?  Corey has a great singing voice and I agree he's not the best fit for that song, but he does well IMO.  

These bands and musicians are paying their respects to a legend. How good the songs sound is just a plus in my eyes.  
It's an endless debate on what bands are actually metal, but there are ways to get around this loop. To my ears, nu metal isn't metal; I consider it distorted hard rock with hip hop influences. Some nu metal bands have a bit of metal to them (Slipknot's one of them), but they're not predominantly metal, and don't deserve to be.

I'm not saying you have to sound like Judas Priest to classify as a metal band, and you're talking to someone who listens to other kinds of metal (e.g. black, doom, progressive). Simply put, I'm just saying that not everything with distortion makes it metal. It's all in the songwriting.

The easiest way around it is simple. If someone thinks a band is metal, let them. People shouldn't be lectured on what is metal and what isn't. The term TRUE and REAL makes you sound very ignorant. It's like those people who vote on a poll when its Slayer vs. Trivium.

You have this click that says "SLAYYYYERRRR is TRUE metal, Trivium is EMO." Don't be that guy!

My fav genres in metal are Traditional, Progressive, and Power. Bands like Korn, Slipknot, and A7X, are gateway bands to a lot of people. Without these bands a lot of the youth of this generation wouldn't know about bands like Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, and Maiden.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 7:17 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 7:30 pm

^^ Somehow I just **KNEW** that you two crazy kids would hit it off. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 7:39 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

lol! 
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 1:32 am

Painkiller wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Raise my standards? Stop being ignorant.

Well, I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you are. If you don't like it, then tough doodles; I'm not one to just accept any turd that tries to pass itself off as something worth my time. A lot of recent albums put out by bands from the past are all sounding so tired and bloated. Nothing "ignorant" about someone who's actually wasted a lot of time trying to "get" them. In fact, some just make me want to cry.

Here's one of my favorite quotes from Harlan Ellison:

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 1:59 am

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 2:35 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

lol! 

This.  Laughing very hard 

On a side note. I'm one of the brazen few around here that's a Slipknot fanboy. Why, oh God why, do they get lumped into nu-metal. I can understand a couple of the dominant radio singles, especially from the last album, that seemed to be written as such. But most of their catalog is highly influenced by thrash, doom, sludge, hardcore, and various metal types. And it's balls out heavy and fierce. Also, I dislike rap as much as a lot of users here, but to me Corey's "rapping" is no different than, say, Max Cavalera's style (and I agree with Rob that his singing voice is great). Yeah, there are synths and beat boxes, but they're not offensively employed. I just don't get it. Vol 3 was a 21st century masterpiece to me, yet imagine the shock when I found out it was lumped in with other "core" bands and hated by metalheads anywhere.

Anyway, not meaning to derail here. I think Corey did a fine job on the tribute. And yes, Jasta pleasantly surprised me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 2:41 am

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 4:06 am

Painkiller wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Here's one of my favorite quotes from Harlan Ellison:

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

Cool story, bro. You like mallcore and I don't.

Mallcore is something idiots made up and use to describe music they don't understand. See previous Ellison quote.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 4:07 am

corplhicks wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

lol! 

This.  Laughing very hard 

On a side note. I'm one of the brazen few around here that's a Slipknot fanboy. Why, oh God why, do they get lumped into nu-metal. I can understand a couple of the dominant radio singles, especially from the last album, that seemed to be written as such. But most of their catalog is highly influenced by thrash, doom, sludge, hardcore, and various metal types. And it's balls out heavy and fierce. Also, I dislike rap as much as a lot of users here, but to me Corey's "rapping" is no different than, say, Max Cavalera's style (and I agree with Rob that his singing voice is great). Yeah, there are synths and beat boxes, but they're not offensively employed. I just don't get it. Vol 3 was a 21st century masterpiece to me, yet imagine the shock when I found out it was lumped in with other "core" bands and hated by metalheads anywhere.

Anyway, not meaning to derail here. I think Corey did a fine job on the tribute. And yes, Jasta pleasantly surprised me.

Corey doesn't rap.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 4:10 am

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 5:59 am

Painkiller wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Mallcore is something idiots made up and use to describe music they don't understand. See previous Ellison quote.

See the points made in my previous posts you mostly skimmed through. Nice way of wasting my time to type all that up.

You haven't made any points worth my addressing.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 9:48 am

Slipknot does kind of bum me out.

But I'm not here to argue any of this stuff. I did want to mention though, the other day on my hour-long drive to work, I was wondering if other genres of music are as concerned about false versions of their genre existing. So many songs pop up on my iPod when it's on shuffle that are about false metal. I believe the song that popped up that had me thinking about this was Skull Fist's "No False Metal". The band rules, but they are super pissed about false metal.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 9:54 am

Ok, I didn't want to do it - but you forced my hand.

I'm putting the metal argument to bed once and for all. You know who is TRU metal? Dan fricken' Fogelberg. Not a fan? Well, then you're not metal.

Decades before the black metalers went up their mountains to burn churches and whatforth, he was up having his rocky mountain high... blood pact with Satan. Play the records backwards, people. It's there for all to hear.

Manowar? Hell, Fogelberg is the Mr. Miyagi of metal. He taught them how to be badasses and they only got it half right. One solid look and he would have struck you dead.

Oh, and the man's not dead. He challenged the Valhallan gods to a duel and they forfeited, so he got Asgard - rainbow bridge and all.

Take it back to the roots, folks. That's all I'm asking.

tr00 
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 9:57 am

I still want to get this, despite the lukewarm reviews, but I'll probably hold off till I find it cheap.

I was in Best Buy yesterday to pick up the new BLS album and figured I'd grab this one too if it was there because why not? It wasn't in stock, so I guess I'll wait.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 11:46 am

Ok. I just finished listening to the album for the first time.

I had low expectations based on a couple of the bands included (Killswitch, Corey Taylor) and also reading the negative and so-so comments here and around.

What the hell? This is a really solid album. The only two tracks I think are absolute garbage are the Killswitch Engage and, as, I think, Witchfinder has elaborated on, Glenn Hughes' "Catch the Rainbow". The rest of it is really, really solid, in my opinion. Even the SourKnot "Rainbow in the Dark" is pretty enjoyable...I hate Slipknot, but the vocals here are done well, and the song does not sound like a modern nu-alterna-metal jam like I was expecting.

I'm not really into Adrenaline Mob either, though they are better than some of the other modern bands on the tribute in general, but I really dug their version of "Mob Rules". And no issues with Tenacious D here. I don't have their records, but I like Jack Black and they definitely have a Dio connection.

My favorite tune is the Anthrax "Turn Up the Night". Really good stuff there.

And then you've got Oni Logan and Halford fronting crazy Dio/Thin Lizzy/Whitesnake/every good band on the planet super-group style jams...where is all the bad that people are talking about? I don't see it. I can easily see listening to this all the way through multiple times, with only skipping past tracks 9 and 10. That ain't bad in my book. Especially when you consider that most tributes/comps are very uneven...stylistically, I expected this to be way more uneven, but it's not.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 12:40 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Well I got this earlier this week and this album is mostly crap.  The Metallica medley is good and the Scorpions cover of Temple of the King is exceptional and definitely the highlight here.

headbanger Beautiful.  headbanger 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 1:06 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 2:30 pm

The Killswitch cover is excellent.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 2:34 pm

Eyesore wrote:
The Killswitch cover is excellent.

As Peter Griffin said to Chris, when discussing Robot Chicken: "I am not a fan."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 2:38 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 2:46 pm

I don't think the KS cover was awful, but it didn't quite blow me away like I expected either. Still pretty good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 2:49 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 2:50 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I don't think the KS cover was awful, but it didn't quite blow me away like I expected either. Still pretty good.

I guess the main thing with it, I mean I don't care for them or their cover to begin with, but it was the one song that, to my ears, actually sounded out of place. Like most of the time on tributes, bands will add their sound to the covers, which makes the tribute album sound uneven, with varying styles or whatever.

On this one, most of the bands/artists really channelled the vibe of the original song, which gave the album a pretty cohesive feel to me. The Killswitch is just the only one that stood out to me and actually sounded like I would expect a modern metallic band to sound when covering Dio...if that makes sense.

Either way, I do like that there are some people out there who would like that cover, because I feel the majority of people who would buy this album, such as myself, are firmly rooted in the 'no thanks' category.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 3:59 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I guess the main thing with it, I mean I don't care for them or their cover to begin with, but it was the one song that, to my ears, actually sounded out of place. Like most of the time on tributes, bands will add their sound to the covers, which makes the tribute album sound uneven, with varying styles or whatever.

On this one, most of the bands/artists really channelled the vibe of the original song, which gave the album a pretty cohesive feel to me. The Killswitch is just the only one that stood out to me and actually sounded like I would expect a modern metallic band to sound when covering Dio...if that makes sense.

Either way, I do like that there are some people out there who would like that cover, because I feel the majority of people who would buy this album, such as myself, are firmly rooted in the 'no thanks' category.

Well, the whole reason it's on there is to market the album. It's definitely out of place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)   Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ronnie James Dio - This is Your Life (new tribute album)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next