Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Pack is Back?

Go down 
+12
Vexer6
sovdat
Lari
jstate
ultmetal
thejokeriv
manny
Boris2008
BearOnUnicycle
MetallicSeminarian
Fat Freddy
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

The Pack is Back?
Love it!
The Pack is Back? Vote_lcap28%The Pack is Back? Vote_rcap
 28% [ 7 ]
Hate it!
The Pack is Back? Vote_lcap8%The Pack is Back? Vote_rcap
 8% [ 2 ]
Never heard it!
The Pack is Back? Vote_lcap32%The Pack is Back? Vote_rcap
 32% [ 8 ]
Opinions are like buttholes!
The Pack is Back? Vote_lcap4%The Pack is Back? Vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
Eliminate the horrible cover of "Gimme Some Lovin" and it is listenable
The Pack is Back? Vote_lcap28%The Pack is Back? Vote_rcap
 28% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 25

AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 8:42 pm

Raven opened up for so many bands just as I was getting into metal.  So, when Stay Hard came out, I played the hell out it.  Not their best album, in retrospect, but my sentimental fav.  Then The Pack Is Back came out and I wanted to puke.  Not only because it makes me wanna drool hatred for Green Bay, but because of the awful choice of cover songs [that was an epidemic in 1986].  But I cranked it today, even Give Me Some Lovin', and other than that [<<<<] song, I enjoyed it.  Thoughts and/or votes.
Back to top Go down

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 8:46 pm

If there was an option for "it's okay" then I would have chosen that.

I love the horn charts on the song "Hyperactive" performed by Tower Of Power.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 8:47 pm

4th choice is where I figured you would have gone, detuned.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 8:48 pm

:cheese: 
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:51 pm

I'm a Raven fanboy but this one ranks at the bottom of the pile for sure. The "Gimme Some Lovin'" cover sucks, and I can do without the two songs with the horn section (sorry, S.D.) but there are some decent tracks on it, like "Rock Dogs" and "Youngblood."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:07 pm

Never heard it. Not sure I've ever heard Raven, actually. Need to fix that (but not with this album).
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:19 pm

Fer real Metallic. Start with Wiped out or All for One. Ween yourself into that catalog with the early stuff. Almost ALL of it gets good, once you get familiar.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:29 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Fer real Metallic.  Start with Wiped out or All for One.  Ween yourself into that catalog with the early stuff.  Almost ALL of it gets good, once you get familiar.

Sounds good. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 4:31 am

Never heard it!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 4:51 am

Raven lost their tenuous grip on me with Stay Hard really, but I bought it. Took one look at the cover of TPIB and thought, nope!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 8:21 am

I must have been a major fanboy because I loved it, even thou I admit I was disappointed, I wanted it to be 'All for One II' or even 'Stay Harder' .

It was the trend to do a pop metal album and IMO they did it better then most.

That being said it sits on the bottom of my pile as far as Raven discs, but I enjoy it, thanks to this thread I am going to throw in the disc right now
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 9:19 am

I have tried to forget that Raven ever released it.....
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 10:19 am

A horribly disappointing release from Raven that is ruined more by the production than it is for the songs or performance. I voted to remove Gimme Some Lovin and it would be listenable.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 10:32 am

I met Eddie Kramer (Pack Is Back producer) at a KISS Expo in the early 1990s. I was tempted to ask him about this album and why it turned out to be such a mess... but eventually decided not to, cuz I figured he probably didn't have very pleasant memories of The Pack Is Back, if he even remembered it at all. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 10:46 am

I've always loved this record. At the time I was perfectly fine with bands trying to appeal to the masses and chase hits. Everyone seemed to be doing it and I went happily along with them. I'll admit it might be more of a nostalgia listen these days. But honestly I've never had a problem with this record.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 11:15 am

Never heard it. I only own Wiped Out.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 11:17 am

Lari wrote:
Never heard it. I only own Wiped Out.

A good album, but you should check out Rock Until You Drop and All for One.

Metal is Forever
Lari

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 11:25 am

Yeah, I think I could get All for One at least.

But, I discovered the band late, and just take a wild guess why I don't already own it.

Clue #1: original pressing

The Pack is Back? Ravenorg
original pressing

Clue #2:
The Pack is Back? Raven
re-issue
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 11:26 am

Wow! What the heck?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 11:30 am

Lari wrote:
Yeah, I think I could get All for One at least.

But, I discovered the band late, and just take a wild guess why I don't already own it.

Clue #1: original pressing

The Pack is Back? Ravenorg
original pressing

Clue #2:
The Pack is Back? Raven
re-issue

affraid I've never heard a cd that was worth that much!!!
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 11:49 am

Get Architect of Fear then.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 11:59 am

That one I've seen cheap.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 12:24 pm

Damn. I had no idea All For One was goin' for such crazy prices. Glad I got it on CD when Spitfire reissued it back in 99 or '00.

Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 10:32 am

Well these prices are of course far from reality. Here's a couple of examples of actually sold CDs on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAVEN-1983-All-For-One-CD-1999-Japan-Re-Issue-OBI-3-Bonus-Tracks-NWOBHM-Neat-/251371055082?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item3a86e1e7ea

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAVEN-All-For-One-reissue-EXCITER-LOVERBOY-STREETHEART-/261332844415?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item3cd8a6bf7f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAVEN-ALL-FOR-ONE-CD-1999-NEAT-RECS-RARE-HTF-OOP-UK-IMPORT-NWOBHM-/231084557761?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item35cdb685c1
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 10:50 am

^^ OK, so those prices are a little more in the realm of reality (though I am disturbed that one seller used Loverboy and Streetheart (?) as comparison bands....hahaha)

I'm friends with John Gallagher (Raven's bass/vox) on Facebook so just as a goof I sent him the link to those Amazon sellers with the crazy prices. I sez "Time for a reissue on these?" and he replied "Jeez! Time for me to start printing them up myself!" Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Pack is Back? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pack is Back?   The Pack is Back? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Pack is Back?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next