Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

new Cynic track

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

new Cynic track Empty
PostSubject: new Cynic track   new Cynic track Icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2013 3:04 pm

I just listened to it and it's interesting to me.  But it might warrant belonging in the non-metal section of the forum.  They've been moving in that direction for a while I guess. I'd suspect some of you will dislike it because it's so different from their old sound, so beware.

I think the new song is brilliant. Pure prog rock with the usual stunning musicianship you'd expect from Cynic.

I hope the rest of the new album sounds like this, because I was really disappointed with the last ep, Carbon-Based Anatomy, which sounded like boring new age style music to my ears.

Here's a link to Metalsucks about the track, along with the new album title and artwork (artwork is awesome, by the way).

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/12/10/cynic-return-mighty-lions-roar/
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

new Cynic track Empty
PostSubject: Re: new Cynic track   new Cynic track Icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2013 6:00 pm

On first listen, I like it. I like everything Cynic to varying degrees, with Traced in Air probably being my favorite. This sounds like that album infused with a hint of Porcupine Tree to me.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

new Cynic track Empty
PostSubject: Re: new Cynic track   new Cynic track Icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2013 6:04 pm

WE CAN HEAR THE BASS AGAIN! YESSSS!!!

I hate that vocal effect on the chorus though, when will bands stop using that dry muffle..thing...whatever it is...

It doesn't feel like it belongs in general though, it suddenly becomes some kind of jangle pop, indie sort of thing at that section....

Song kinda falls apart around the halfway mark......blur of sections that make this mush sound and then the song is over..

Eh...

Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

new Cynic track Empty
PostSubject: Re: new Cynic track   new Cynic track Icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 4:10 pm

Wurthless wrote:
I like everything Cynic to varying degrees

Help me appreciate Carbon-Based Anatomy.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

new Cynic track Empty
PostSubject: Re: new Cynic track   new Cynic track Icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 6:25 pm

man I totally prefer that EP to this song.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

new Cynic track Empty
PostSubject: Re: new Cynic track   new Cynic track Icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 4:59 pm

Tur-Thalion wrote:
Wurthless wrote:
I like everything Cynic to varying degrees

Help me appreciate Carbon-Based Anatomy.

It's not a fantastic EP or anything, but it's a somewhat interesting listen. It's got a different atmosphere to it than the rest of their stuff, and it's not very "metal", which I think is cool.

Although, I'll probably have to listen to it again to really refresh my memory on it.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

new Cynic track Empty
PostSubject: Re: new Cynic track   new Cynic track Icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Did you dig the Portal tapes, Mr. Thalion?
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

new Cynic track Empty
PostSubject: Re: new Cynic track   new Cynic track Icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 7:02 pm

I actually never listened to them until yesterday. I've been meaning to buy them actually. Anyway, I found the tracks on youtube and listened through them and was a bit underwhelmed. I guess I wanted some heaviness, but they was mostly atmospheric. Perhaps a bit similar to Carbon-Based Anatomy.

I don't mind the atmospheric side, but I prefer Traced in Air, where it is constantly alternating with the heavier stuff they mastered on Focus.

What do you think of the Portal tapes?
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

new Cynic track Empty
PostSubject: Re: new Cynic track   new Cynic track Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 12:17 pm

The title track, "Kindly Bent to Free Us," is now online:

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

new Cynic track Empty
PostSubject: Re: new Cynic track   new Cynic track Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 7:46 pm

I didn't really enjoy this one.

:shrug:
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

new Cynic track Empty
PostSubject: Re: new Cynic track   new Cynic track Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 4:49 am

Just a small town girl...... no, no, wrong song..

I like this one way better than the first clip. Definitely can't get enough of the Stick playing. A few of the vocal parts, I'm thinking, you couldn't come up with anything else? But this song sounds more like Cynic to me than even a lot of 'Traced in Air', so...... oh, the video is sort of  scratch 
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

new Cynic track Empty
PostSubject: Re: new Cynic track   new Cynic track Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 10:56 am

more than Traced in Air? wow. How do you mean? To me that is just as quintessential Cynic as Focus.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

new Cynic track Empty
PostSubject: Re: new Cynic track   new Cynic track Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 12:40 pm

Well, for one thing Malone is invisible on that album, although according to the credits he's there...The production is so slick I feel like it kind of makes the tones a bit sterile, which doesn't suit the band... the mix on this stuff seems more natural.... This new song also has that cool floating sounding lead in the middle - nothing on 'Traced In Air' took any chances, it sort of took this template and replicated it, and it was an interesting template but nothing veered away and did something to bring in extra colors. On 'Focus' you had tracks like 'Sentiment' which did that.
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

new Cynic track Empty
PostSubject: Re: new Cynic track   new Cynic track Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 4:22 pm

Interesting analysis. I can't really follow it up, because I don't really catch any of those kinds of details when I listen. I do agree that the bass playing is a much stronger feature on the two new tracks, which is excellent as Malone is awesome. I think this new album is going to be a lot more interesting than Carbon-Based Anatomy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

new Cynic track Empty
PostSubject: Re: new Cynic track   new Cynic track Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

new Cynic track
Page 1 of 1