Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore

Go down 
+16
ZombieHavoc
journeyman
Addy
Boris2008
mc666
Wurthless
thejokeriv
Orion Crystal Ice
manny
exact33
Fat Freddy
Sutekh
corplhicks
chewie
Witchfinder
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Empty
PostSubject: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 4:42 pm

Intersting opinion piece in Variety magazine on albums being obsolete:

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/katy-perrys-prism-a-good-example-of-how-albums-dont-work-anymore-1200824933/#
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 4:46 pm

Well it seems that things have gotten back the way it was before the mid sixties(?). When singles were the way to go.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 4:48 pm

chewie wrote:
Well it seems that things have gotten back the way it was before the mid sixties(?). When singles were the way to go.
It seems that way. We are in interesting times.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 5:01 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
chewie wrote:
It seems that way.  We are in interesting times.
But it also doesn't help when you have to listen to a lot of filler on 80minute albums. Need to roll back those albums to 38-45minutes.

I don't know if the current crop of pop stars can come up with that much quality material anyway?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 6:17 pm

chewie wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
chewie wrote:
But it also doesn't help when you have to listen to a lot of filler on 80minute albums. Need to roll back those albums to 38-45minutes.

I don't know if the current crop of pop stars can come up with that much quality material anyway?
Not a fan of epic albums unless the genre calls for it. My favorite albums tend to run less than 40 minutes.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 6:28 pm

corplhicks wrote:
chewie wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
chewie wrote:

Not a fan of epic albums unless the genre calls for it. My favorite albums tend to run less than 40 minutes.
Same here. I find vinyl length (approx. 40 mins) to be ideal. I am also a big fan of Eps.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 8:22 pm

I'm fine with albums being longer if the quality of songwriting is there. But most pop 'artists' fail that test, so 40 minutes is more than enough. Ultimately, though, articles like these are more about the economics, not the art, of music. I believe that there will always be a market (admittedly much smaller than the industry has been used to) for albums of quality music.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 8:42 pm

Some times those longer albums can be a chore to get through. Give me the 40-45 minute albums anytime.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 8:50 pm

I've been saying this for years: bands/musicians need to learn that just because you CAN fit 75 or 80 minutes of material on a CD, doesn't necessarily mean that you SHOULD.

That said, I'm still an "album guy." When I listen to albums, I rarely ever skip tracks, I don't fast forward to the "hit" single on a CD, I start at track 1 and listen to it straight to the end, then I pop it out of the player, put in another CD, and repeat.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 8:59 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I've been saying this for years: bands/musicians need to learn that just because you CAN fit 75 or 80 minutes of material on a CD, doesn't necessarily mean that you SHOULD.

That said, I'm still an "album guy." When I listen to albums, I rarely ever skip tracks, I don't fast forward to the "hit" single on a CD, I start at track 1 and listen to it straight to the end, then I pop it out of the player, put in another CD, and repeat.
i agree. Put quality out instead of quantity.

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 9:15 pm

The most important aspect (that the article doesn't mention) is the age group purchasing pop albums like Katy Perry. Teenagers. These kids have grown up in a post-album world, they grew up with iPods, they gravitate toward singles (as pop fans always have) and I'm sure a surprising number of them may never have owned a physical CD in their lives. The album really doesn't have a meaning to many of them, it's a concept from their parents generation and we all know how much teenagers want to emulate their parents. Right. It's just a different world now.

Many of us here are circling right on either side of 40, what we like is tied to what we grew up with. We bought albums, we traded them, discussed them, made compilation tapes from them, they became a part of who we are and hearing them now conjures up memories of the time we first experienced them. So we are naturally a little horrified by seeing this trend back toward singles and away from physical media, but at the same time we just have to accept that the marketplace is really not interested in people our age. Albums will continue to be made, physical media will still exist, it's just going to be niche going forward.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 9:22 pm

Sadly I agree with everything S.D. stated, excuse me I off to check out some nursing homes. Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore 387733 Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore 387733 Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore 387733 
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 9:51 pm

Because I like being told what to do and how to consume media, by Variety Magazine.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 9:59 pm

[quote="chewie"][quote="Witchfinder"]
chewie wrote:

I don't know if the current crop of pop stars' songwriters can come up with that much quality material anyway?
Fixed it for you....

And I sadly agree with SD..... but who knows, maybe someday it will swing back in the other direction and the next generation will buy full digital albums. Hell, if there are enough of us parents playing full albums, who knows, maybe the next generation will pick it up

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 10:02 pm

I've always preferred albums, but then again, I doubt my musical tastes coincide with the average teenager, haha.

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 1:15 am

I am an album guy all the way, but I don't mind ep's & splits at all.

Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 2:16 am

Surely the perfect length for a Katy Perry record is about 8 seconds no?

I love the album, but accept that I'm not the target audience. I think that this kind of thing is cyclical rather than progressive and I'm sure that rags like Variety were writing similar things when punk was "wiping the rock dinosaurs of the cultural map" (which didn't happen but it made for good copy Rolling Eyes )

There will always be people who wan't a bit more meat on the bone musically and there will always be musicians that want to stretch themselves beyond the limits of a catchy little ditty.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 6:24 am

chewie wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
chewie wrote:

thats why theyre claiming that albums dont work anymore.... I disagree with that completely

I would say maybe the evil record execs should be more choosy on who they invest in but we know that aint gonna happen
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 7:44 am

I agree with SD. Not sure if physical media is going to be around much longer. The niche of albums and releasing special packaging media isn't going to last if there isn't a large enough support to sustain it. The single has always been very important in music. We all remember the cassette singles and CD singles and how long they stayed around. The issue I have with LP's is that each time they are played they loose some quality, even with the best turntable. A needle is being dragged across plastic grooves. Tapes and CD's were acceptable alternatives, but at an ever decreasing quality that is greatly accelerated with use. Hence, the need to re-purchase. The sad truth today is that even if I own the media, I find it easier to play the digital copy I made. Right now, I think LP's are the best listening experience, but I usually don't have the luxury of sitting down in my easy chair and listening to one. For my most treasured music, I'm trying to grab up the best representation of the LP and sock it away without listening to it simply so I can preserve the music.

Album length has never really bothered me. If it has filler, then chances are it's not going to be a frequent listen. I have to listen to the album as a whole and kind of look at it as reading a book. Picking a chapter here and there doesn't give me the story. I feel the same way about music. An album is like a book and should be listened to as a whole.

I long for the days when bands released an album every year. Back in the day bands had an album out just about every year. Why things slowed down and albums where 2-5 years apart from each other became the norm is a mystery.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 8:42 am

I agree with all who said the 40 minute length is pretty much the best for an album.

Long ass albums, even from excellent bands, just get boring (although with the power of shuffle now, those tail end songs get heard more from me now, since they can pop up in shuffle).

And there's no denying that most teenagers just buy singles on their iPhone. But it's not across the board. About 2 years ago I was in FYE, perusing the metal section. Their were two kids, who were 15 at the oldest, but probably 13 or 14, looking at the metal section. One kid was "the expert", compared to his friend, and was telling him what metal CDs he should get, and telling him which metal CDs he had at home.

Now, the kid was by no means really an expert. He would point to some cool bands, and as well to some crappy metalcore bands. But I was stoked he was into the CDs. He did, however, inform his friend that Kreator was crappy black metal and to avoid them. Can't win 'em all, I suppose. And as I said, he was young.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 8:48 am

Also, having just read the article...well, I don't think most of the artists we, as a group here, dig on, are expecting to have chart topping singles.

I don't really think your average pop music consumer STOPPED caring only about the singles. It's just that in the 70s, 80s and 90s, they didn't have iTunes to where they could get only the single. So they often bought the full album, listened to only the singles/hits and proclaimed that they were the only good songs on the album.

Then those same people from those decades would later, when revisiting their youth or whatever, just buy the greatest hits album and proclaim that the hits are all you need.

Nothing has really changed aside from the easier access to the single they only wanted to begin with.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Albums all the way.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 1:10 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
I agree with all who said the 40 minute length is pretty much the best for an album.

Long ass albums, even from excellent bands, just get boring (although with the power of shuffle now, those tail end songs get heard more from me now, since they can pop up in shuffle).
Well, do you have to listen to the album in one go?

As a consumer I am very happy with 75 minute long albums. You can always skip tracks you don't like. Or is it better if 30 minutes of the music is tagged as "bonus tracks"? I like the fact I can come back to an album a couple of years later and re-discover those forgotten album tracks - "oh wow they had a song like this in here, too".

I always thought an album is a collection of songs, like a DVD box set is a collection of movies. You just can't have too many songs in there. Assuming the price isn't affected. I'm sure critics hate having to listen through long ass albums, but as a consumer it's all good.

Now, SONGS, on the other hand, they can definitely be too long. A lot of the repetition could be cut out in my opinion, in favour of more songs.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 5:23 pm

I'm perfectly fine with a 75 minute album as long as it's good - I feel like I am getting my money's worth of music. Hell, with bands putting out albums less often, you are STILL getting less material on a 75 minute album every 3 - 5 years than back in the day when you got a 40 minute album every year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 7:27 pm

I don't agree that all albums are just a "collection of songs", some albums are much greater than the sum of their parts and work best when listened to all the way through.  I also have no problems with long songs, depending on the artist and what they do with it.  I would say if I looked through my collection the average song length is going to be around 6:30 per track.  

These days I get terribly bored when I hear a simple 3:30 verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus/chorus song.  I like tracks with long introductions, extended instrumental passages and many different time changes and variations of feel during the course of the track.

Obviously of course that means I don't care about singles and my opinion is obviously in the minority.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore   Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Variety: Albums Don't Work Anymore
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next