Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.

Go down 
+15
chewie
bgsully
tohostudios
Orion Crystal Ice
snooloui
akeldama
corplhicks
ZombieHavoc
DallasBlack
Shawn Of Fire
cruedevil71
bass63
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
Dark Horseman
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 6:21 pm

It's not "adult" and has never been adult, it's "album".

Album-oriented rock (abbreviated AOR) is an American FM radio format focusing on album tracks by rock artists.

There is Adult Contemporary but that's another animal entirely.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 6:23 pm

I don't agree. We are talking about different things here. For me it means 'Adult Orientated Rock' and has nothing at all to do with radio.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Laughing very hard 

That's hilarious. Guess I better call up the college I went to and inform them that they can no longer use that term that has been in constant use since the 1970s.

If "this" AOR really does stand for adult-oriented rock then it's even dumber than I thought it was.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 6:35 pm

Believe it or not, the terms can co-exist. If you are referring to a genre as is the case here, it is Adult Orientated Rock. Don't believe me? Argue your case here Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 6:40 pm

Can we all agree to just stop using AOR for any music, anytime, ever, and use some other term that actually makes sense?
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 6:42 pm

Better still, let's just stop using descriptors altogether. After all, there are only two types of music, good music and bad music Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 6:46 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Can we all agree to just stop using AOR for any music, anytime, ever, and use some other term that actually makes sense?
MOTRCFSM&S

"Middle Of The Road Crap For Soccer Moms & Suburbanites"

Razz 
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 7:01 pm

Yeah, but today's soccer moms refer to grunge as the golden era, so that won't work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 7:03 pm

I'll just shorten it to Middle Of The Road Crap, works for all eras.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 7:11 pm

S.D. wrote:
I guess that's why you're so keen to distance the term AOR from the style of music referred to here. Wouldn't want MOTRC getting confused with your 60s/70s grandad rock now would you?

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 7:14 pm

I have to agree with SD.  I always understood AOR to mean "Album Oriented Rock",as in songs that weren't necessarily radio-friendly because they were longer than (as Billy Joel stated) "3:05".

It was also a radio format where the DJ would basically drop the needle on an album and just play whatever was there whether it was the "single" or not. That's how I discovered the genius of Queen. Back in the day my local AOR FM radio station decided to play "Great King Rat" instead of "Keep Yourself Alive" from Queen's S/T.

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 7:34 pm

snooloui wrote:
S.D. wrote:
I guess that's why you're so keen to distance the term AOR from the style of music referred to here. Wouldn't want MOTRC getting confused with your 60s/70s grandad rock now would you?

Spoiler:
Plenty of MOTRC from that era as well.  After all, look at the record sales for The Eagles and Bread.

lol!
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 8:31 pm

cruedevil71 wrote:
"you know whats lacking in death metal?..there is not enough songs about bunnies"
Best. Quote. Ever.  lol!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 9:29 pm

From Wikipedia:

"Noted DJ "Kid Leo" Travagliante of influential station WMMS in Cleveland observed the changes in a 1975 interview: "I think the '60s are ending about now. Now we are really starting the '70s. The emphasis is shifting back to entertainment instead of being 'relevant'...In fact, I wouldn't call our station progressive radio. That's outdated. I call it radio. But I heard a good word in the trades, AOR. That's Album-Oriented Rock. That's a name for the '70s."[2] The term "album-oriented rock" was coined by Radio & Records editor Mike Harrison, who developed the format while program director at KPRI in San Diego from 1973 to 1975.[3]"

AOR is...what the F*ck happened to my font?...AOR is an abbreviation originally coined in radio. It's never been a genre, but a method of programming for FM radio when the FCC mandated that they stop AM duplication. Somehow it became an unofficial genre tag. There never has been an Adult Oriented Rock, and many DJ's an Program Directors scoff at the term.
Back to top Go down
cruedevil71
Metal student
Metal student
cruedevil71

Number of posts : 104

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 10:49 pm

I have issues with the whole genre deal as well. I prefer Rock,Metal,Country,Blues,Jazz,Prog, and Classical. Plenty for me.

Last edited by cruedevil71 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cruedevil71
Metal student
Metal student
cruedevil71

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 10:53 pm

[/quote]I remember being VERY STONED the first time I heard that album. It didn't help it none. And then straight. I never listened to that album...again. You're right in the biggest let down department. angry[/quote]
Ready To Strike is one of my all time favorites from the mid 80's. Mark/Marcy's vocals are f*cking phenomenal and the tunes.....damn, no filler, all killer. They don't make 'em like that anymore. Although, Signal came close as far as songwriting and musicianship.

Last edited by cruedevil71 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 12:16 am

The band Trillion is put into the pomp category.
Back to top Go down
cruedevil71
Metal student
Metal student
cruedevil71

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 12:56 am

bgsully wrote:
cruedevil71 wrote:
"you know whats lacking in death metal?..there is not enough songs about bunnies"
Best. Quote. Ever.  lol!
I was baked.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 2:43 am

What I call AOR is recent Michael Bolton and crap like that. One of my fave bands "Ten" gets called AOR, and I don't have a problem with that because Gary Hughes always has about two Bolton-like songs on every album (extremely skip-worthy despite the excellence of the rest of his stuff). The AOR songs are just pure pap with no hooks or riffs, just pure sentiment. You have to have something wrong with you such as being in love to enjoy those songs. The power ballads on the other hand have riffs and hooks despite being mellow or slow so I call them melodic rock or melodic hard rock. Bolton's first s/t album was probably less AOR than melodic rock though. It's his only album that I ever listen to.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 6:19 am

Bolton's frst two albums were AOR.The third still has a share of AOR tracks, but is mostly known for soft rock/adult contemporary/blue-eyed soul stuff Bolton became known for. The fourth album was mostly in that style, but still had an AOR song or two.

Also

AOR = Album-oriented rock = radio format
AOR = Adult-oriented rock (aka melodic rock) = music genre
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 8:24 am

I used to loathe AOR bands, other then Journey and Foreigner, but honestly the genre name makes no sense, every band we listen to on this board for the most part are album oriented bands, the exception being bands like Journey and Foreigner who really seemed to push for hit singles.

As I have gotten older I have somewhat appreciate bands such as Jefferson Starship that featured Mickey Thomas, Boston (if they count) but overall not a genre I spend a lot of time listening to.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 8:30 am

S.D. wrote:
It's not "adult" and has never been adult, it's "album".

Album-oriented rock (abbreviated AOR) is an American FM radio format focusing on album tracks by rock artists.

There is Adult Contemporary but that's another animal entirely.
Depends on who you ask, honestly...Adult Oriented Rock may have never been an official, chartable format, but neither has Hair Metal.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 8:31 am

S.D. wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
MOTRCFSM&S

"Middle Of The Road Crap For Soccer Moms & Suburbanites"

Razz 
Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Tong1

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 8:32 am

manny wrote:
every band we listen to on this board for the most part are album oriented bands, the exception being bands like Journey
I wonder, without even being alive just yet at the time, if Journey got put in this category based on their actual music at the time, before they start producing radio hits.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 8:33 am

Journey had hit singles, but they also produced varied, layerd records that were solid all the way through...

PostSubject: Re: Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.   Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record.  The unashamed look at melodic rock. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modern AOR needs to learn from the first Giant record. The unashamed look at melodic rock.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next