Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The New Guy Covering The Classics

Go down 
+16
Thrasher73
Boris2008
BearOnUnicycle
corplhicks
journeyman
jettafiend
ultmetal
bass63
MetallicSeminarian
manny
Orion Crystal Ice
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
MoonChild
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Who Covered the Classics Best?
Sammy covering DLR-classics
The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Brian Johnson covering Bon Scott-classics
The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Vote_lcap34%The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 34% [ 10 ]
Ripper covering Halford-classics
The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Vote_lcap31%The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 31% [ 9 ]
Blaze covering Bruce-classics
The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Sollinger covering Skid Row-classics
The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Bush covering the Joey Belladonna classics
The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Vote_lcap17%The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 17% [ 5 ]
Other
The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 14% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 29

AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 9:31 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Bush was a better singer than Turbin or Belladonna and I really love "The Greater of Two Evils" probably my fav Anthrax record.

I have to agree with this, I sort of liked Anthrax before, but was never a Joey Belladonna fan
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 10:47 am

It's between Owens and Brian Johnson. I thought both did a great job. Consider it a split vote.

I entered my vote for Owens, because I thought he wouldn't get many anyway, but looking at the poll now I guess I was wrong.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 11:45 am

Ripper has a few fanboys here. I think he sounds, with the Priest stuff, like the stereotype of what people think they sound like. Make sense? Plus he is called Ripper.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 11:55 am

Other: Steve Augeri covering Journey

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 11:56 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
I think he sounds, with the Priest stuff, like the stereotype of what people think they sound like. Make sense? Plus he is called Ripper.
It's a full-blown parody, not even Monty Python or the dudes from Spinal Tap could come up with something as absolutely ridiculous as the guys in Priest hiring a dude named "Ripper".  Razz
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 11:57 am

And yet, it works. I liked him before Priest so I was kind of glad he got the shot.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 12:05 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I like this guy, but prefer Arnel, not sure if it has to do with Arnel, and like it better because the newer albums with him as a vocalist are more guitar centric. Arnel also seems to be able to nail those classic Journey songs perfectly, well almost perfectly.

Last edited by manny on Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 12:09 pm

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I like this guy, but prefer Arnel, not sure if it has to do with Arnel, and like it better because the newer albums with him as a vocalist are more guitar centric. Arnel also seems to be nail those classic Journey songs perfectly, well almost perfectly.
Good thing he dropped the nickname "Open Arms" Arnel before taking the gig. What a joke that would have been, huh? Cool 

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 1:15 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I like this guy, but prefer Arnel, not sure if it has to do with Arnel, and like it better because the newer albums with him as a vocalist are more guitar centric. Arnel also seems to be nail those classic Journey songs perfectly, well almost perfectly.
Good thing he dropped the nickname "Open Arms" Arnel before taking the gig. What a joke that would have been, huh? Cool 
Laughing very hard 

I prefer Arnel over Augeri too
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 1:17 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Good choice. I loved him singing with them. Saw them live in 2004 & he was awesome.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 1:37 pm

bass63 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Good choice. I loved him singing with them. Saw them live in 2004 & he was awesome.
Saw them in 1998 and 1999 and he sounded brilliant...crowd ate out of his hand the whole night.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 2:54 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
bass63 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Saw them in 1998 and 1999 and he sounded brilliant...crowd ate out of his hand the whole night.
What ever happened to that guy? Did he go back to working at GAP?

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 3:01 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
bass63 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
What ever happened to that guy? Did he go back to working at GAP?
He puts out his own music and tours playing it as well as Journey songs. He's playing Melodic Rock Fest in Chicago in September as is LINE OF FIRE. Smile

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 3:04 pm

Have you heard it? Any good?

Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 12:00 pm

Quote :

He puts out his own music and tours playing it as well as Journey songs. He's playing Melodic Rock Fest in Chicago in September as is LINE OF FIRE.  Smile
That would be a great show. We're having a show here in North Platte in October called Skull Fest. Same type of line up. I'll be moved to Wyoming by then. I'd really like to see Rhino Bucket & Black & Blue.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 12:24 pm

I went with La Torre covering Tate
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 12:02 pm

I just thought of someone else who should be on the list, but may not be top choice: Mark Tornillo. Only thing for me is I've never heard him sing the Udo material. Anyone here can testify?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 4:06 am

Well, I guess no one has seen them live then.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 11:12 am

corplhicks wrote:
I just thought of someone else who should be on the list, but may not be top choice: Mark Tornillo. Only thing for me is I've never heard him sing the Udo material. Anyone here can testify?
I heard a bootleg with Mark and he sounded pretty darn good on the old classics. Now I'm not the biggest Accept fan and didn't recognize allot of the older material aside from the hits, but they sounded good enough to me. Someone that's a bigger fan might have a different opinion.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 12:48 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
I heard a bootleg with Mark and he sounded pretty darn good on the old classics. Now I'm not the biggest Accept fan and didn't recognize allot of the older material aside from the hits, but they sounded good enough to me. Someone that's a bigger fan might have a different opinion.
A response! I knew there was life out there Laughing . Obviously Mark is a much better vocalist than UDO in a technical sense, but he still has the nasty gargle going on that I would assume to match the songs closely. I should take a look at some youtube videos. There's some fan-made clips on there.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 12:52 pm

Gonna have to go with Ripper, followed by Todd LaTorre and Brian Johnson.

The rest I feel didn't do justice to the original guy's material, but in most cases excelled at their own material.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 1:01 pm

corplhicks wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
A response! I knew there was life out there Laughing . Obviously Mark is a much better vocalist than UDO in a technical sense, but he still has the nasty gargle going on that I would assume to match the songs closely. I should take a look at some youtube videos. There's some fan-made clips on there.
They did an web-cast of an entire show live from the Key Club in Hollywood back in 2010, after Blood of the Nations, but before Stalingrad. I'm basing my opinion on the audio of that performance.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 1:06 pm

And of course I haven't heard a whole lot, but maybe Deep Purple MkIII?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYxu-70ixQo

And I'd say Gillan in Sabbath did a good job with the Ozzy stuff, even if he forgot some of the words! haha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The New Guy Covering The Classics   The New Guy Covering The Classics - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The New Guy Covering The Classics
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2