Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock

Go down 
+11
jettafiend
Lari
SAHB Healer
Orion Crystal Ice
Hadley
tohostudios
brokentulsa
BearOnUnicycle
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock   Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 11:09 am

S.D. wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
Also, general note regarding the Hanoi Rocks cover....it is weird, I suppose, but I will say that "Up Around the Bend" is my favorite Hanoi Rocks recording.
Hanoi Rocks released a video for that cover and it's honestly the only time I ever remember seeing them during the 80s.
As I understand it, they had a few albums out in Europe, but were relatively unknown in the US. Their album Two Steps From the Move was their first big major label release (CBS maybe?) and the CCR cover was the easiest way to ease them into the US market. Then shortly after, the drummer was killed in the car accident with Vince Neil and the band imploded.

Fast forward a few more years and the popularity of GnR coupled with Axl's fan-boy love of Michael Monroe got their old albums re-released through GnR's UziSuicide label.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock   Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 11:21 am

Witchfinder wrote:
S.D. wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
Also, general note regarding the Hanoi Rocks cover....it is weird, I suppose, but I will say that "Up Around the Bend" is my favorite Hanoi Rocks recording.
Hanoi Rocks released a video for that cover and it's honestly the only time I ever remember seeing them during the 80s.
Same here.  I remember that vid and that Vince Neil killed Razzle.  That's it.  Since then, I have gone back and bought several of their albums, but back in the day I paid no attention to them.
I became interested in them actually pretty early in my personal music life, at 11 years old. I was OBSESSED with GN'R. And Axl was in the "Dead Jail or Rock N' Roll" video with Michael Monroe. That was enough to put them dead in the center of my radar, and I was always on the look out from some HR after that.

In my early 20s, the more punk influenced glam bands were my perfect cup of tea, as well, so.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock   Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 11:28 am

Quote :
I was OBSESSED with GN'R. And Axl was in the "Dead Jail or Rock N' Roll" video with Michael Monroe. That was enough to put them dead in the center of my radar, and I was always on the look out from some HR after that.
That's what put them on my radar as well. I'd never heard of them until GnR brought them some attention. A friend of mine at the time made me a comp tape of their stuff from his brother's vinyl collection. I bought up all the UziSuicide re-releases.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock   Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 11:50 am

After listening to most of my playlist for the first disc, I will say that most of the songs on that disc that you think don't belong....don't belong.

I can see how a couple would be included as influences. And some of the songs aren't bad or anything, but just stretching things a bit. And that first song is like a spoken poem set over music. Though I could see how that would be included as specifically being a Marc Bolan influence thing maybe.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock   Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 12:55 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I'll get the nit-pick genre talk started:

Judas Priest, Marylin Manson and Chuck Berry on a "Glam Rock" comp?
Nevermind them, what about the Osmonds?? Shocked 
Puny Human (stoner rock) did a bitchin' cover of this song...

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock   Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 2:30 pm

Actually the Osmond version is pure 70s glam....and so is their look.
Puny Humans version is cool...they rocked it..I had never heard that version before.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock   Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 2:33 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
Puny Humans version is cool...they rocked it..I had never heard that version before.
I agree about the Osmonds.

I also like the inclusion of Bay Cit Rollers, who don't get enough credit I feel. They were essentially an excellent powerpop band.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock   Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 2:45 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock - Page 2 20101022-tows-boy-bands-3-600x411

Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock - Page 2 The-osmonds-the-osmonds-22113048-492-383

More like Graceland was having a yardsale, but yea, they were in the thick of it in the 70's.

PostSubject: Re: Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock   Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2