Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Venom - Possessed

Go down 
+8
Vexer6
nevermore
krokus
corplhicks
manny
ZombieHavoc
Boris2008
ultmetal
12 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Venom - Possessed Empty
PostSubject: Venom - Possessed   Venom - Possessed Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 11:45 am

So why is it fans hold the first three VENOM albums up in high esteem but don't see Possessed in the same light?

Venom - Possessed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom - Possessed   Venom - Possessed Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 11:46 am

Because it's awful? Razz 

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Venom - Possessed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom - Possessed   Venom - Possessed Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 12:28 pm

Because it's vastly inferior to the first three.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Venom - Possessed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom - Possessed   Venom - Possessed Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 1:03 pm

I like most of Venom's mid to late 80s/early 90s catalog as much, or more than the first three.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Venom - Possessed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom - Possessed   Venom - Possessed Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 1:28 pm

S.D. wrote:
Because it's awful?  Razz 

In comparison to the first three?

Boris2008 wrote:
How so? Can you explain?

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Venom - Possessed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom - Possessed   Venom - Possessed Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 1:47 pm

ultmetal wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Because it's awful?  Razz 

In comparison to the first three?

Boris2008 wrote:
How so? Can you explain?
Yeah, songs.

The first two albums (I'm not mad keen on AWWS either if truth be told) had great songs, Welcome to Hell, Witching Hour, Sacrifice, Countess Bathory, Buried Alive, these are songs that I still go back to now, Possessed had nothing, sure the musicianship was up to the same standard as ever Laughing very hard but I thought that the songs were boring, made even more disappointing by the fact that it had an awesomely creepy cover that made me think that it was going to be great.

I think that the fact that bands like Slayer, Celtic Frost, Bathory, Sodom and even Bulldozer had released records that were heavily influenced by Venom at that point meant that they really had to up their game to stay relevant. I feel that they never came close to doing this and Possessed is a step back.
Back to top Go down

Venom - Possessed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom - Possessed   Venom - Possessed Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 2:32 pm

Honestly, At War With Satan ain't that hot either. There are a couple decent tracks on side two but overall it's a pretentious dud, a band reaching FAR outside their musical grasp. The b-sides from that album are better than most of the stuff that made it.

Possessed wasn't any fun. The great part about the first couple Venom albums is they're just amazingly goofy and the absolute lack of anything resembling musical talent just makes it work all that much better. Possessed sounds like they wanted to be serious, but once you removed the humorous aspect all you're left with is an album of mediocre songs, performed barely adequately, recorded very poorly.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Venom - Possessed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom - Possessed   Venom - Possessed Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 4:40 pm

I actually love 'At War With Satan', well at least the 20 minute title track, thou S.D. is right, they went way outside of their musical grasp, but I love it.

My favorite Satanic bastards 'Possessed' album was possessed by medicore songs and a production that made the first three Venom albums sound like their produce by John 'Mutt' Lange in comparison.

Not only that they branched out from singing just about Satan and hell, to adding loft lyrical ideas such as Satan, Hell and Mayhem. How did these guys they were becoming, Tom Waits?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Venom - Possessed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom - Possessed   Venom - Possessed Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 4:41 pm

I thought it was brilliant. Had no idea it has been seen as inferior.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Venom - Possessed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom - Possessed   Venom - Possessed Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 5:01 pm

Great album. I just saw them live last week and they didnt play any song by POSSESSED if i remember right. A lot from the first 3 albums and the title tracks from RESURRECTION, HELL and CARVED IN STONE by my surprise. All great songs. They also played HEADBANGER from their new album FALLEN ANGEL.
An other album i love is CALM BEFORE THE STORM or PRIME EVIL.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

Venom - Possessed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom - Possessed   Venom - Possessed Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 9:28 pm

I like the Possessed album. But I do agree with what the other guys mentioned that the songs don't quite live up to the previous albums material.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

Venom - Possessed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom - Possessed   Venom - Possessed Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 11:16 pm

I think Possessed is every bit as good as they're first three albums.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Venom - Possessed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom - Possessed   Venom - Possessed Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 3:56 am

Possessed sounded "dialed in".

Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

Venom - Possessed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom - Possessed   Venom - Possessed Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 3:59 am

Has anyone on here heard the Tony Dolan era albums "Temples Of Ice" and "Waste Lands"? they're usually pretty rare and expensive

Last edited by Vexer6 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Venom - Possessed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom - Possessed   Venom - Possessed Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 12:14 pm

I like the Possessed album just fine.

The stuff with Tony Dolan is damn good!!!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Venom - Possessed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom - Possessed   Venom - Possessed Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2015 11:50 pm

very good album. picked it up about two days ago and enjoyed playing it a lot.

don't understand why it is seen as inferior.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Venom - Possessed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom - Possessed   Venom - Possessed Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2015 4:27 pm

To answer the question though, they drifted a bit from what made them Venom on the Possessed album. So a lot of the fans drifted a bit from them at the time!

They have never released a bad album though. Just a few that aren't as strong as others.

Someone mentioned At War With Satan and that album is GENIUS!!!

I like Prime Evil and Calm Before the Storm as well!

I didn't care a lot for Metal Black though. Its good but not sure what they were thinking. Not as strong.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

Venom - Possessed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom - Possessed   Venom - Possessed Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2015 4:56 pm

For a band that finally learned how to play their instruments just recently, they're pretty good.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Venom - Possessed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom - Possessed   Venom - Possessed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Venom - Possessed
Page 1 of 1