Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?

Go down 
+12
nevermore
Lurideath
Fat Freddy
Rex
ultmetal
AchrisK
Smindas
krokus
mc666
spiritoradio
sovdat
Required Fields
16 posters

The Exorcist
Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Vote_lcap69%Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Vote_rcap
 69% [ 11 ]
Pentagram
Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Vote_lcap0%Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Burning in Hell
Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Vote_lcap0%Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Evil Warriors
Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Vote_lcap6%Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
Seven Churces
 0% [ 0 ]
Satan's Curse
 0% [ 0 ]
Holy Hell
Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Vote_lcap6%Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
Twisted Minds
 0% [ 0 ]
Fallen Angel
 0% [ 0 ]
Death Metal
Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Vote_lcap19%Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Vote_rcap
 19% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 16

AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Empty
PostSubject: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 7:00 pm

Spinning this 1985 album right now.

I vote "The Exorcist" as the best track here. I love the part where Beccera shouts "I will escape your wrath...666!" Awesome!

"Death Metal" and "Burning in Hell" are the runners-up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 7:56 pm

I voted for Death Metal, although the legendary riff in The Exorcist totally kills !!!

Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Normal_Possessed_16
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 8:26 pm

I have not heard the album, but it's awesome that Jeff Becerra still sings after being paralyzed and having to be on stage in a wheelchair 🤘
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2007 12:20 am

Death Metaaaaaaaaal!

krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2007 4:29 am

THE EXORCIST. Also i like to say that BEYONG THE GATES and EYES OF HORROR are underated. They dont have the brutality like SEVEN CHURCHES but the songs are still great.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2007 7:46 am

I know I'm derailing the topic a bit, but my friend who just got back from Wacken met Jeff. Apparently at Heathrow, on the way, Jeff randomly asked him if he was going to Wacken and they ended up sitting next to each other having a laugh on the entire plan journey. Apparently Jeff was a very talkative man.

Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2007 11:27 am

Evil Warriors.

This songs owns!

A close second would be:

Deeeeaath Metaaaaaaaal

\m/
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2007 11:58 am

Smindas wrote:
I know I'm derailing the topic a bit, but my friend who just got back from Wacken met Jeff. Apparently at Heathrow, on the way, Jeff randomly asked him if he was going to Wacken and they ended up sitting next to each other having a laugh on the entire plan journey. Apparently Jeff was a very talkative man.

Cool. For shore your friend looks metal if not Jeff would not have known that he was going to WACKEN. We metal people always find each other because we are the best, F*** THE REST🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 10:50 am

Listening to this CD right now. Still can't figure out how these guys are often called "The First Death Metal band.". They sound like straight up thrash metal with proto-death style vocals. Vemon on speed, if you will.

I honestly think DEATH were the first true death metal band.

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 10:53 am

I agree. SBG was the first real death metal album. But like Venom has a song named "Black metal" and influenced that genre, Possessed's "Death Metal" song coined that genre.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 10:53 am

I bought this album a few years ago after seeing all the hype on the boards, and man, I thought it was TERRIBLE. I was scratching my head so hard trying to figure out what people saw in that album, and still do. I'll never understand it I guess.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 10:58 am

Rexorcist wrote:
I bought this album a few years ago after seeing all the hype on the boards, and man, I thought it was TERRIBLE. I was scratching my head so hard trying to figure out what people saw in that album, and still do. I'll never understand it I guess.

I guess it's appeal was that it was so much more aggressive and raw than any other thrash band from that era (1985). As I said, Venom on speed. There are some great riffs and solos as well. I read that Larry LaLonde was a student of Joe Satriani, which would explain some of the odd guitar licks.

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 11:00 am

Actually old Bathory is Venom on speed. In fact, Quorthon has a few songs titled the same as Venom's.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 12:51 pm

I went with "The Exorcist" because it just sets the tone for the album. I also like "Satan's Curse" just as much, as well as "Burning In Hell" for it's verse flow. When I was in high-school, I devised an early (and very sucky) band with friends. I named the group "Satan's Curse" from the song of the same name on "Seven Churches." I thought it was "metal" and all...lol I drew an awesome logo for it with the "T" as a knifeblade with the rubber grip handle (you should have seen it, Rex...you'd be proud...lol) I made a huge banner with it. Anyhow, I trashed it years later when I thought about how stupid it sounded as I grew into my mid-20's.

Rex, you mentioned how let down you were when you heard "Seven Churches." I can relate a story about some friends of mine. I found the "Seven Churches" record on vinyl in the 80's in Chapel Hill (down the street from UNC). I loved the record as a teen. Well, later on down the line, 3 friends and I got together and went to see METALLICA/QUEENSRYCHE on the "Justice" tour in Greensboro. So I had taped off some of my records to play on the trip to G'boro. "Seven Churches" was one of them. I told my friends, "Hey, this is POSSESSED. I really like 'em." All 3 of these guys were looking around like, "What the &#$@ is this #@&%?" lol I was insulted that they didn't like it. But looking back I can understand why. It was definitely for the 80's. It's very raw and the band had yet to really gel.

Also, like Scott, I don't call this "death metal." It's Speed/Thrash along the lines of VENOM. Back then I remember mags/fanzines calling it Black Metal (the earliest form). Anyway, I don't want to get into a genre war with anyone, so I'll leave it at that.

Larry Lalonde was actually a student of Joe Satriani. In fact, that was one of the arguments I used with my friends who didn't like them that day. I said, "Hey, this guy took lessons from Satriani." They weren't convinced...lol I actually saw Larry with BLIND ILLUSION on "The Sane Asylum" tour...

HALLOW'S EVE/BLIND ILLUSION/AT WAR
Wednesday, September 21, 1988
The Switch
Raleigh, NC

It's amazing that I don't even listen to this band anymore, but as I type this stuff out, I can "sing" the lyrics to "The Heretic" word for word. Music and lyrics are more powerful than most people think. I also thought their EP The Eyes Of Horror from '87 had some excellent tunes like "Confessions" and "Swing Of The Axe."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 1:06 pm

The Exorcist for me. But the whole album kills.

Also...

It was mentioned elsewhere in this thread that it's debatable as to whether "Seven Churches" should really be noticed as the first death metal album and that the honor should go to "Scream Bloody Gore."

I'd rather go with "Bloody Vengeance" from 1986 by Brazil's Vulcano.

Far more intense and aggressive (than SBG) and overall much scarier. The vocals absolutely slay. The production is iffy and has that horrendous echoey '80s sound but in my opinion it only adds to the overall vibe.

Still though I give the honor to "Seven Churches."
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 1:34 pm

I guess so George. I suppose I'm one of those "just a tad to late for the 80's" but wish I could have been there for some of it" guys. lol (Although I still think I would have thought this album sucks)
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 1:42 pm

This is one of my brother's all time favorite albums. I thought the music was pretty rippin' but I could never get past the WOOOOARRRRGH vocals.

It was kinda funny a few years later when Larry LaLonde turned up in Primus, all the old thrashers were like "EEK! This is the guy from POSSESSED? WTF?" Hahaha.

I know a guy who went to a Primus show and he actually brought his old SEVEN CHURCHES LP for Larry to autograph. He said when Larry saw it he actually laughed and said "Wow, I don't see too many of THESE anymore"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 3:07 pm

My vote went for The Exorcist.

You know, back in the day there was no such thing as death metal. Possessed, Death, etc were all thrash. Although Chuck Schuldiner used Possessed's vocals and music as a blueprint for Death and was stated in many interviews in the past.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 3:23 pm

I'll have to go with The Exorcist. That song kills! Death Metal is also a great track and would be my second choice.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 10:39 pm

I vote "The Exorcist". This is actually one of my favorite albums of all time, I love it. True classic. I agree with Ult on it being more thrash though. Death truly was the first death metal band, I have their early demos and what they were doing was amazingly innovative for 84/85.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 5:17 am

i voted for the exorcist. i must dig it out as i have not listened to it since i went to my cousins wedding of all places
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 6:12 pm

The Exorcist is my favorite. I truly enjoy every song on that album though. In The Exorcist I love when Jeff sings

Words of insanity
Scream out the final plea
Evil voices scream out
Help me!
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2020 8:49 am

I’ve heard this album mentioned over and over - everywhere.
It arrived. The photo of the guitar play is awesome in the inner sleeve.
Has that gothic “ Celtic Frost “ sound. The 1985 riffs are great. Fact.
I guess, the Exorcist, referred to the 1973 horror movie.
Seven Churches refers to the Bible’s last book. Says it somewhere.
Anyways - the guitarist is great. He really drives the ship.
What’s their next best ?
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2020 9:54 am

Glower wrote:
I’ve heard this album mentioned over and over - everywhere.
It arrived. The photo of the guitar play is awesome in the inner sleeve.
Has that gothic “ Celtic Frost “ sound. The 1985 riffs are great. Fact.
I guess, the Exorcist, referred to the 1973 horror movie.
Seven Churches refers to the Bible’s last book. Says it somewhere.
Anyways - the guitarist is great. He really drives the ship.
What’s their next best ?
They only have three full length albums, and an ep. Seven Churches is their best but can't go wrong with any of them. Their newest one was just released a couple years ago, and though the only original member is Jeff, it's an amazing album. But I would definitely get Beyond the Gates next, then the ep Eyes of Horror, and then their latest effort Revelations of Oblivion.

My vote went to Holy Hell. That song kills, and is not only my favorite on the album, but one of my all time favorite songs period. Really surprised the vote went the way it did, thought the title track would have won it and it didn't even get one vote lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches?   Best song on Possessed - Seven Churches? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1