Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now

Go down 
+16
manny
metalinmyveins
akeldama
choosemetal
candlemass
Eyesore
journeyman
bass63
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Chairman_Smith
Shawn Of Fire
Orion Crystal Ice
corplhicks
Temple of Blood
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Empty
PostSubject: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 11:53 pm

as far as I can hear.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/megadeth-fan-filmed-footage-of-heavy-mtl-concert/

This is just wrong. And lame.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 11:57 pm

Not surprising; Dave's voice has really been giving out over the years. As much as I love how he used to sing, anyone can tell he was straining like mad and throwing his voice recklessly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 2:27 am

Countless bands do this, it helps the singers survive the constant touring required to make any money in the music business these days. Give 'em a break.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 8:12 am

I understand all that but it still doesn't sound as good to me.

I didn't mind when JUDAS PRIEST did it because their songs are so tough to sing live but this still seems like a bit of a cop out to me.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 8:44 am

"You can't always play aggressive, thrashy stuff. Sometimes those aren't even songs; they're like musical rams. But because I'm not a pop guy, I'm also not really comfortable playing sing-along songs. To me, 'Super Collider' made sense like a normal song — a verse-chorus-verse-chorus kind of thing. It's written the way a real songwriter would write the song, instead of just taking all these musical twists and turns."

scratch 
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 9:04 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
I understand all that but it still doesn't sound as good to me.

I didn't mind when JUDAS PRIEST did it because their songs are so tough to sing live but this still seems like a bit of a cop out to me.
It may not sound good to you....which is fine...but 90% of the crowd in a given city has no idea it's even happening.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 9:09 am

So it's a lot like the things I do in public restrooms when I travel.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 11:39 am

It does sound off.... I agree.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 12:17 pm

And if it sounded exactly like on the album we'd cry they are using backups tracks and correctors in concert.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 12:25 pm

People who expect live performances to sound exactly like studio albums (and why would you want that anyway? BORING) need to go buy a clue.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 12:27 pm

I think it's this or Dave calls it a day, if people want to hear it then that's fine by me. I think that the criticism is very harsh as he can't sing like he used to, he just can't!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 12:29 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I think it's this or Dave calls it a day, if people want to hear it then that's fine by me. I think that the criticism is very harsh as he can't sing like he used to, he just can't!
He could barely sing in the first place. Let's face it, Dave's talent is guitar playing, his vocals have always been passable at best.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 12:31 pm

S.D. wrote:
Countless bands do this, it helps the singers survive the constant touring required to make any money in the music business these days.  Give 'em a break.  
That's what I say... it's amazing what people find to bitch about these days.    Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 12:31 pm

S.D. wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
He could barely sing in the first place.  Let's face it, Dave's talent is guitar playing, his vocals have always been passable at best.  
True but if you heard the Big 4 sets, he really sounded like he was going to do himself an injury" lol! 
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 2:47 pm

His vocals did sound better though. I don't see it as a huge deal, but I did notice it was off. Maybe if he be D standard instead of E flat it'd sound better.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 2:55 pm

The right key is something that's very important in a composition, and the majority of the time, other keys just won't have the same impact. A song written in two different keys standing side by side will not both carry the same power. It seems pretty simple to me why people would sigh over it regardless of how necessary it may be.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 4:39 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
"You can't always play aggressive, thrashy stuff. Sometimes those aren't even songs; they're like musical rams. But because I'm not a pop guy, I'm also not really comfortable playing sing-along songs. To me, 'Super Collider' made sense like a normal song — a verse-chorus-verse-chorus kind of thing. It's written the way a real songwriter would write the song, instead of just taking all these musical twists and turns."

scratch 
This quote has been thrown out everywhere on the net, and I still have no clue what the F*ck he's trying to say.

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
The right key is something that's very important in a composition, and the majority of the time, other keys just won't have the same impact. A song written in two different keys standing side by side will not both carry the same power. It seems pretty simple to me why people would sigh over it regardless of how necessary it may be.
Dedicated guitarist can understand this, like myself. Even though I don't mind Dave doing it, and it is the best thing for him to do, part of me twitches inside. It's just how we're programmed.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 1:02 pm

This really isn't news. Bands do it all the time and its been the case for years, especially when the vocalist isn't feeling well. Instead of cancelling the show or forcing the vocalist to hurt themselves, the band will try and find a happy medium that works. Key changes are nothing new to performances. A tour can very demanding and getting older only underscores that fact.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 1:21 pm

Transposition is common in other forms of music and nobody complains about it.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 1:48 pm

Fans never seem to understand that musicians get old. Sometimes shit just stops working like it used to.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Fans never seem to understand that musicians get old. Sometimes shit just stops working like it used to.
Thank you. If you're complaining about bands tuning down live, stay home and listen to the album cuz everybody does it.

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 2:04 pm

It's not just age, if your singing style strains your voice a great deal then this practice would even be in place for young singers that just need to survive the tour.

I'd wager that most people complaining about bands tuning down don't even realize that many groups write and perform songs in multiple tunings. I remember having a conversation with Ty Tabor once and I asked him why he had 14 guitars on the side of the stage, he said the songs in the setlist were in 7 different tunings so he needed two of each in case of broken strings.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 2:23 pm

Just sounds like a bloody awful recording to me!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 2:25 pm

If I get any older we're going to have to tune down for me to sing Doors songs! affraid 
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 6:18 pm

I personally don't have a problem with it.
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now   So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So MEGADETH is tuning down their old songs now
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next