Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RUSH - The *official* thread

Go down 
+21
Wrecked Neck
chewie
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
mr.electric39
Runicen
QuothTheRaven
thejokeriv
Alex Dee Rokket
Svengo
stepcousin
MetallicSeminarian
Red Kitty
Dark Horseman
manny
corplhicks
Wurthless
exact33
James B.
journeyman
brokentulsa
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 6:46 pm

I had no idea bands were releasing their live material unadulterated. I've really been missing out.

Although I guess it's funny saying that since I have no problem with my favorite live albums which received more than a fair amount of studio manipulation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 7:06 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I had no idea bands were releasing their live material unadulterated. I've really been missing out.

Although I guess it's funny saying that since I have no problem with my favorite live albums which received more than a fair amount of studio manipulation.
The recent concert DVD of Opeth - Live At Royal Albert Hall contained all the mistakes, including broken guitar strings on a few songs and also a 5 minute section where the guitar amp had to be repaired so Mikael raps with the audience while the technicians fix the problem.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 8:08 pm

I was thinking about getting this boxset...

RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 81n3XRdEz-L._SL1500_
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 10:23 pm

the new Vapor trails is pretty good!

QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 12:18 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
I was thinking about getting this boxset...

RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 81n3XRdEz-L._SL1500_
I bought it because I wanted the new Vapor Trails and I didn't have any of the other late 80s early 90s output, and I really wanted the covers album. It's not a bad box though it doesn't have a lot of extras; however, the Amazon price works out to about $5 a disc, which made it economically viable for me. The enclosed booklet is lyrics only and the discs are only in the cardboard sleeves. The CDs themselves are good quality with whatever the most recent masterings are as their basis.

My first thought when hearing the Vapor Trails remix is that it sounds so clean. There is a depth to the mixes that was missing on the original. I only recently purchased the original VT after finding it in a used CD store so I don't have the songs ingrained like I do for some of the classics like Moving Pictures or 2112. I want to take some time and do a track by track comparison, but "clean and clear" was my first thought.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 2:54 pm

Has anyone spent more time with the remix vs. the original version of Vapor Trails? I picked it up when it was a new release and got kind of blasted by the levels, even if I couldn't have told you that at the time (probably would have shrugged and said, "Didn't do anything for me.").

It was never a bad album, but it never quite stuck with me. A few cursory listens to the remix have me feeling it's a really strong album that suffered from a really bad mix. Kind of a shame, even if I do have a nostalgic attachment to the original sound of it... You know, for the five minutes I can stand to listen to it.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 5:31 pm

The biggest complaint about Vapor Trails was the mastering which was way too loud.... red zone across the board....

this new version is better but I really had hoped they would have used Nick Raskulinecz who did those fabulous remixes on the Retrospective release....

Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 5:40 pm

I would throw money around just to get the classic albums remastered by Steven Wilson.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 8:25 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I would throw money around just to get the classic albums remastered by Steven Wilson.

Yeah, that guy is a master at remastering/remixing albums.  His version of Aqualung sounds like a whole new album to my ears.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 4:41 pm

corplhicks wrote:

I'll second this. He's actually rehabilitated dark horse albums by bands I really dig.

Lizard by King Crimson was a TOTAL enigma to me until he straightened out that mix. Ditto for the recent A Passion Play remix/remaster for Jethro Tull. He's definitely doing the remaster/remix thing right. It's not hurt at all by the fact that the DVD or Blu-Ray that comes with the reissue also gives you the option to play the original mix. That is about as good as you can make a reissue without also tossing in EVERY piece of audio ephemera with it (I can dream, right?).

I just picked up the "Power and the Glory" remaster Wilson did for Gentle Giant. Since I already loved that album, I'm really stoked to fire that up in the Blu-ray.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 2:55 pm

Well you learn something new everyday... and this is something I wasn't aware of.... scrolling through EBay and I found someone selling a copy of Permanent Waves which was a japanese import... sounds innocent enough....

But it's on the EPIC label!!!! Here they're on (or were for that matter) Mercury.... but in Japan EPIC....
was aware they were part of the same company (i understand different divisions, conglomerates ect...)
but this was just a big surprise....

Not exactly Earth shattering by any stretch.. but there it is....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUSH-PERMANENT-WAVES-JAPAN-25-8P-5075-EPIC-IMPORT-CD-USED-/321488713992?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item4ada387908
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 3:46 pm

Weird to think that it wasn't so long ago that it meant something to have one imprint distributing a record in the US and another in the UK and Europe...

At this point, it's just a different rubber stamp on the packaging doled out by the same staffer in one factory.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2015 3:42 pm

Rush has announced the dates for their R40 summer tour, celebrating the 40th anniversary of the band.

TOUR DATES
DATE LOCATION VENUE TICKETS
MAY 8, 2015 TULSA BOK CENTER ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
MAY 10, 2015 LINCOLN PINNACLE BANK ARENA ON SALE SOON
MAY 12, 2015 ST. PAUL XCEL ENERGY CENTER ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
MAY 14, 2015 ST. LOUIS SCOTTRADE CENTER ON SALE SOON
MAY 16, 2015 AUSTIN AUSTIN360 AMPHITHEATER ON SALE SOON
MAY 18, 2015 DALLAS AMERICAN AIRLINES CENTER ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
MAY 20, 2015 HOUSTON THE TOYOTA CENTER ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
MAY 22, 2015 NEW ORLEANS SMOOTHIE KING CENTER ON SALE SOON
MAY 24, 2015 TAMPA AMALIE ARENA ON SALE SOON
MAY 26, 2015 ATLANTA VERIZON WIRELESS AMPITHEATRE ON SALE SOON
MAY 28, 2015 GREENSBORO THE GREENSBORO COLISEUM ON SALE SOON
MAY 30, 2015 BRISTOW (DC AREA) JIFFY LUBE LIVE ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
JUNE 8, 2015 COLUMBUS NATIONWIDE ARENA ON SALE SOON
JUNE 10, 2015 BUFFALO FIRST NIAGARA CENTER ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
JUNE 12, 2015 CHICAGO UNITED CENTER ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
JUNE 14, 2015 DETROIT PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS ON SALE SOON
JUNE 17, 2015 TORONTO (I) AIR CANADA CENTRE ON SALE FEBRUARY 6, 2015
JUNE 19, 2015 TORONTO (II) AIR CANADA CENTRE ON SALE FEBRUARY 6, 2015
JUNE 21, 2015 MONTREAL BELL CENTRE ON SALE FEBRUARY 7, 2015
JUNE 23, 2015 BOSTON TD GARDEN ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
JUNE 25, 2015 PHILADELPHIA WELLS FARGO CENTER ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
JUNE 27, 2015 NEWARK PRUDENTIAL CENTER ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
JUNE 29, 2015 NEW YORK MADISON SQUARE GARDEN ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
JULY 9, 2015 KANSAS CITY SPRINT CENTER ON SALE SOON
JULY 11, 2015 DENVER PEPSI CENTER ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
JULY 13, 2015 SALT LAKE CITY MAVERIK CENTER ON SALE SOON
JULY 15, 2015 CALGARY SCOTIABANK SADDLEDOME ON SALE FEBRUARY 6, 2015
JULY 17, 2015 VANCOUVER ROGERS ARENA ON SALE FEBRUARY 6, 2015
JULY 19, 2015 SEATTLE KEY ARENA ON SALE SOON
JULY 21, 2015 PORTLAND MODA CENTER ON SALE SOON
JULY 23, 2015 SAN JOSE SAP CENTER AT SAN JOSE ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
JULY 25, 2015 LAS VEGAS MGM GRAND GARDEN ARENA ON SALE SOON
JULY 27, 2015 PHOENIX US AIRWAYS CENTER ON SALE SOON
JULY 30, 2015 IRVINE MEADOWS VERIZON WIRELESS AMPHITHEATRE ON SALE SOON
AUGUST 1, 2015 LOS ANGELES THE FORUM ON SALE SOON
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2015 4:46 pm

I'd love to get to Portland for that show.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2015 6:18 pm

I'll be keeping my eye out for tickets the Forum show. Believe it or not, I've never seen Rush in concert, even though I've been listening to them since 1979.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2015 6:42 pm

S.D. wrote:
I'll be keeping my eye out for tickets the Forum show.  Believe it or not, I've never seen Rush in concert, even though I've been listening to them since 1979.

Eh, you're not missing much.

just kidding

I caught them the last time they passed through Philly and I can say that try as I might, I'm just not a fan. I've played their songs and seen them live but it just doesn't click for me. It was an entertaining show though. Seeing Neil live behind that out-of-this-world kit of his is worth the price of admission. The video they play at the beginning of the show was funny.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2015 7:29 pm

Runicen wrote:

I just picked up the "Power and the Glory" remaster Wilson did for Gentle Giant.  Since I already loved that album, I'm really stoked to fire that up in the Blu-ray.   Very Happy 

Well? How did it sound? I love me a bit of GG myself, my first taste being the live album Playing The Fool. That album blew me away!
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 7:38 pm

Has anyone picked up the Rush anniversary remasters on vinyl? Curious if they are really worth the money... Do they sound better.. Rush has such a wealth of music including live recordings I just wonder if the live stuff on these albums is new or previously released and repackaged...
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 11:51 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
Has anyone picked up the Rush anniversary remasters on vinyl? Curious if they are really worth the money... Do they sound better.. Rush has such a wealth of music including live recordings I just wonder if the live stuff on these albums is new or previously released and repackaged...

I picked up the Farewell to Kings vinyl set, and it sounds really good. The live album is nothing I've heard before, so I'm guessing it's not something that has been released before.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2020 8:19 am

brokentulsa wrote:

The only reissue I own is Hemispheres and I gotta say soundwise it is probably the best sounding LP I have. So quiet and flawless. I assume the other reissues are just as good but I already have a ton of the originals on vinyl and don't want to buy them again. I was missing Hemispheres so I picked it up several years ago at Books A Million.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2021 6:47 pm

Just saw this on YouTube. Amazing set list, really wish I could have seen them back then.

Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2022 4:56 pm

This band sounds like they were influenced by RUSH.
Interesting to hear. The voice of course.
But also the song structure and various changes of tempo.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6305

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2022 6:07 pm

Nice interview. Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson talk about Moving Pictures, and stuff. I never really watched Rush interviews, but these guys are good talkers.

EDIT: I also have no idea why Rush is in this "other music" subforum instead of the metal / hard rock forum. These guys are pioneers of the heavy metal genre, and an essential band inside the family tree. Progressive, hard and heavy, you name it.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12528

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2022 10:30 pm

Lari wrote:

EDIT: I also have no idea why Rush is in this "other music" subforum instead of the metal / hard rock forum. These guys are pioneers of the heavy metal genre, and an essential band inside the family tree. Progressive, hard and heavy, you name it.

(IMHDO) Rush ended the hard rock stylings by 1982, and continued down the synth heavy approach whole heartedly untill "Vapor Trails" in 2002 or so. When a band has a majority of output that isn't "hard rock", easy to see how they could be in a "other music" category. If it is specific to their early releases, I would put that in the old "hard rock/metal" section. Of course, mileage will vary.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6305

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2022 12:26 pm

I don't own anything by them after Grace Under Pressure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RUSH - The *official* thread
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next