Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NLTM Aug '13 Update

Go down 
+21
Alex Dee Rokket
Fat Freddy
chewie
Vexer6
BearOnUnicycle
Hadley
mr.electric39
TheGreatDuck
jettafiend
Eyesore
Dark Horseman
Sutekh
Troublezone
mc666
Chairman_Smith
Required Fields
Boris2008
corplhicks
MetalRob331
Orion Crystal Ice
ultmetal
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 7:03 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I have their CD. I played it a couple times and it came off as fairly generic sounding. I remember them being a big deal back in the day as the first Russian band, or something like that. The band's gimmick was their geographical origins but their sound is very Bon Jovi-ish. Not surprising since Bruce Fairbairn, Richie Sambora and Bon Jovi produced the album and, I am sure, had a hand in the songwriting or at least in the songs compositions. I have a really weird bias against Bon Jovi. Growing up in NJ I hated the dude and his chick rock that was being labeled as heavy metal. It was so not metal and was so generic sounding to me as well. In all, to me I remember Gorky Park as being very cookie cutter and bland. I'll pull it out and give it a few more spins. Perhaps I just have to get beyond the Bon Jovi connection.
To be fair, I'd say their sound is more like a cross between Crazy World era Scorps and hair era Lepps (Moscow Calling (the song) sounds like something recorded between Pyro and Hys). No keyboard overkill like BJ - and I see you either like or don't mind bands such as Night Ranger, Bad English, Giuffria, Danger Danger, House of Lords, Giant or Autograph - all bands whose sound was pretty close to '80s BJ. I do understand you have a dislike for BJ that goes beyond their music - which is too bad, because the first two albums are killer hard AOR - certainly not metal, but something I could understand being labeled as metal back when it came out. I do like New Jersey and Slippery too, but I understand why a hard rock fan would dislike those.

Back to GP, well, they might be generic, but so were most hair bands anyway - I don't see much difference between them, and say, Slaughter, Warrant or Firehouse. And besides, you wrote a positive review for Trixter, and GP are certainly better than them. Razz

BearOnUnicycle wrote:

Soviet glam - never heard, not sure if I really want to. Must be god-awful.
If you think Lepps, Firehouse, Slaughter, Warrant or the Scorps of that era are god-awful, then they are. If not, they're a pretty decent band.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 9:41 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I have their CD. I played it a couple times and it came off as fairly generic sounding. I remember them being a big deal back in the day as the first Russian band, or something like that. The band's gimmick was their geographical origins but their sound is very Bon Jovi-ish. Not surprising since Bruce Fairbairn, Richie Sambora and Bon Jovi produced the album and, I am sure, had a hand in the songwriting or at least in the songs compositions. I have a really weird bias against Bon Jovi. Growing up in NJ I hated the dude and his chick rock that was being labeled as heavy metal. It was so not metal and was so generic sounding to me as well. In all, to me I remember Gorky Park as being very cookie cutter and bland. I'll pull it out and give it a few more spins. Perhaps I just have to get beyond the Bon Jovi connection.

You should check out the bands Aria or Black Coffee instead!

Aria:

Black Coffee:

Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 4:20 am

Eh, no need for the "instead" part. Razz
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 5:20 am

TheGreatDuck wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:

Soviet glam - never heard, not sure if I really want to. Must be god-awful.
If you think Lepps, Firehouse, Slaughter, Warrant or the Scorps of that era are god-awful, then they are. If not, they're a pretty decent band.
These bands might be not, but their Soviet counterparts are Razz Tbh I've never heard anyone besides GP, but knowing the overall sound of 80's metal here, I'm sure if there were any glam in its true sense, 90% of bands were unlistenable. Gorky Park were definitely an improvement.

chewie wrote:
You should check out the bands Aria or Black Coffee instead!
And First Aid and Master and Aspid (sounds like Vektor they say, from 1992)

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 12:23 pm

Now playing...GORKY PARK.

Bang is a hooky anthem...dah, dah, da-da-da-dah!

"Try to Find Me" is ehhhhhhh, cheesy 80's ballad. Might have been more tolerable at the end of the album, but should not have been track #2. It breaks up the momentum the band built with the big anthem that opens the album.

"Hit Me With the News" would have been a better follow-up to "Bang".

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 1:11 pm

"Sometimes At Night" is one of my favorite GP songs.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 2:09 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
"Sometimes At Night" is one of my favorite GP songs.
I don't know why but that ballad reminds me of 80's Bad Company.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 2:17 pm

Hey Ult - next time you're fixin' stuff on NLTM you might want to address this... I was just skippin' randomly thru your site and found this in the review of Great White's Back to the Rhythm:

"The tragic nightclub fire that stole the life of guitarist Ty Longley and many fans in Rhode Island, NY will forever haunt this band."

...Rhode Island is not part of New York. It's a whole 'nother state. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 3:10 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Hey Ult - next time you're fixin' stuff on NLTM you might want to address this... I was just skippin' randomly thru your site and found this in the review of Great White's Back to the Rhythm:

"The tragic nightclub fire that stole the life of guitarist Ty Longley and many fans in Rhode Island, NY will forever haunt this band."

...Rhode Island is not part of New York. It's a whole 'nother state. Very Happy
Haha! Good catch. Thanks.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 3:39 pm

I like those youtube clips, BearOnUnicycle!
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 7:28 pm

Found another error. On your review of Messiah's "Final Warning", the song "Keep Searching" is listed twice.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 4:25 pm

Hey, Scott. Given how much you enjoyed the most recent Soulfly album, I am not sure whether or not you were aware a song off of their next album, Savages (due this fall), has been leaked. Here it is:
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 11:14 pm

Thanks.

I've been spinning "3" recently. It seems to be a mixture of Sepultura and the nu-metal I remember from the first album.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 3:26 am

I agree, 3 is very much a mix of mid 90s Sepultura with traces of the nu-metal influences from the first two Soulfly albums. 3 was the album that started the road back for Max towards the sound Sepultura had on Chaos AD. The follow-up is probably the heaviest Soulfly album from Max's 'world music' era. I feel with both 3 and Prophecy, Max concluded the tribal / world music sound he had started on Roots. With those latter albums being the heavier counterparts of the debut self-titled album and Primitive.

Starting with the Dark Ages album , Soulfly's musical direction has changed to a heavier thrash influenced sound. I can't say that any of the recent Soulfly album sound exactly like early 90s Sepultura because they don't but there is a strong influence brought across from those album, and generally from the more aggressive style of thrash of the late 80s / early 90s period. If anything, I find the last four Soulfly albums to be more consistent, more well-rounded than the earlier, Roots-influenced Soulfly albums.

My only observation, and it's not necessarily negative, is that Max is playing it safer than in the past. What I mean is that his songwriting over the last decade has become a tad predictable. For examplle, the pair of albums released by Cavalera Conspiracy don't really bring anything new or different that wasn't written or played on the last four Soulfly albums. I don't find them to be stylistically different, other than perhaps having shorter songs. The upswing however is that Max is still playing thrahsy stuff some 15 years since leaving Sepultura.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 9:02 am

Hey Ult,

this is on an older review; but I happened to be re-reading your review for Haven's "Age Of Darkness" and found this:

"Kevin doesn't sing anything like he did with Haven, dropping completely they high, falsetto vocals and the exaggerated vebratto, instead chosing to sing in a clean, mid-range style. Haven fans may be disappointed, but one it's own this band is actually pretty good."

Just thought I'd run that by you. Smile
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 3:47 pm

thanks.

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 4:05 pm

bgsully wrote:

"Kevin doesn't sing anything like he did with Haven, dropping completely they high, falsetto vocals and the exaggerated vebratto, instead chosing to sing in a clean, mid-range style. Haven fans may be disappointed, but one it's own this band is actually pretty good."

Should be vibrato.

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 4:44 am

S.D. wrote:
bgsully wrote:

Should be vibrator.

Fixed!

Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 6:41 am

Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 3:03 pm

In the index, the site lists "Keufer, Tom"
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 3:21 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Yea, he was the lead singer in Crinderella. What of it?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 4:11 pm

A typo in your Carcass - Swansong review:
"I much preferthis album..."

You forgot to put a space between prefer and this.

By the way, have you heard the new Carcass album yet?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 5:23 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
I'm pretty sure it should be Keifer.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 5:30 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
I'm pretty sure it should be Keifer.
Nooooo, I'm pretty sure it's Tom Keufer of Crinderella-fame. They had a few hits in the 80's. 'Shave Me', 'Not Anyone's Foolish Boyfriend', 'Short, Hot Summer'. They did a few jingles too...

Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 5:34 pm

In the Great White section, Let It Rock (1996) should be placed before Cant Get There From Here (1999).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NLTM Aug '13 Update
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next