Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NLTM Aug '13 Update

Go down 
+21
Alex Dee Rokket
Fat Freddy
chewie
Vexer6
BearOnUnicycle
Hadley
mr.electric39
TheGreatDuck
jettafiend
Eyesore
Dark Horseman
Sutekh
Troublezone
mc666
Chairman_Smith
Required Fields
Boris2008
corplhicks
MetalRob331
Orion Crystal Ice
ultmetal
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

NLTM Aug '13 Update Empty
PostSubject: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 5:18 pm

NLTM Aug '13 Update
http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/updates.htm

As usual, any help with typos, mistakes, broken links, etc. are much appreciated.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 5:21 pm

Who else immediately clicked on 'Geoff Tate' just to see what the picture was? (it's a cool pic)
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 5:24 pm

The Magica review says:

"Good thing I did as he played the ENTIRE DISC from start to finish. Thankfully, it did not included track #14 which is Dio telling the story of Magica."

it should be "did not include"
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 5:45 pm

Thank OCI. You are correct.

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 5:51 pm

Nice review on the Nektar album.  

Surprised no mention of how disappointing the recording/mix/mastering on that self-titled Queensryche album is.  I had to wait until I could hear a copy of the LP version, the CD sounded so bad I couldn't listen to more than 2 songs without getting ear fatigue.  Lots of audible digital distortion on the CD.  The LP helps a little bit, but the album was really too hot in the mix and some distortion is also evident on the LP.  

The guitar sounds on that album are atrocious, badly EQ'd, over-processed and too low in the mix.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 6:23 pm

Soulfly has been pretty consistent over the years. If you liked Enslaved their albums before that will be right up your alley.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 6:24 pm

S.D. wrote:

Surprised no mention of how disappointing the recording/mix/mastering on that self-titled Queensryche album is.  I had to wait until I could hear a copy of the LP version, the CD sounded so bad I couldn't listen to more than 2 songs without getting ear fatigue.  Lots of audible digital distortion on the CD.  The LP helps a little bit, but the album was really too hot in the mix and some distortion is also evident on the LP.  

The guitar sounds on that album are atrocious, badly EQ'd, over-processed and too low in the mix.
THANK YOU. Thought I was the only one (especially with the guitars).
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 6:36 pm

That whole record sounds like butt, although at least it sort of has its own voice and sound, can't say the same for most of what Century Media puts out.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 6:49 pm

Yay! My cousin got a mention on the My Silent Wake article Very Happy  (well kind of. He is, or was Thrashing Rage Productions)

He's still got loads of the My Silent Wake vinyls Crying or Very sad  (which is a shame as it's a good record)
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 8:00 pm

I noticed that in your review for Soulfly - Enslaved, you listed the last track as "Revengeane"; "Revengeance" is the correct title.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 8:46 pm

S.D. wrote:

True. The recording is harsh, but I usually just EQ the crap out of it. I'm hoping Cliffy might do some magic to it and offer it to us hardcore fans.

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 9:09 pm

ultmetal wrote:

True. The recording is harsh, but I usually just EQ the crap out of it. I'm hoping Cliffy might do some magic to it and offer it to us hardcore fans.

I (or Cliffy) could definitely improve it, but unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about the digital distortion during the louder segments.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 10:22 pm

The judge allowed the two bands to exist under the same name until their next court date on November 18, 2013, stating that, "I'm sure the market can get these things sorted out."

Think you meant 2012.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 10:29 pm

Now that you've checked out Enslaved from Soulfly, i'd get these albums in this order. Dark Ages, Conquer, Prophecy and Omen.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 10:30 pm

Chairman_Smith wrote:
The judge allowed the two bands to exist under the same name until their next court date on  November 18, 2013, stating that, "I'm sure the market can get these things sorted out."

Think you meant 2012.

Nope, it's not been resolved yet. Ult is right.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 10:39 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Chairman_Smith wrote:
The judge allowed the two bands to exist under the same name until their next court date on  November 18, 2013, stating that, "I'm sure the market can get these things sorted out."

Think you meant 2012.

Nope, it's not been resolved yet. Ult is right.

Oh! For some reason I read that as that being the date the judge said that. Doh.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 11:51 pm

Ult, you had mentioned Halford's voice and Painkiller and I was wondering if you noticed Halford's struggle through The Sentinel on Epitaph. He's always had a hard time with the song live, even during the original tour, and now he's resorted to a quasi-spoken word chorus; when he does hit the high notes, I feel his pain. As much as I LOVE the song, I sometimes wonder if that's one they should box up for their sake.

Good entries all around, as usual.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 1:31 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:
Now that you've checked out Enslaved from Soulfly, i'd get these albums in this order.  Dark Ages, Conquer, Prophecy and Omen.
THIS

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 3:45 am

mc666 wrote:
Chairman_Smith wrote:
Now that you've checked out Enslaved from Soulfly, i'd get these albums in this order.  Dark Ages, Conquer, Prophecy and Omen.
THIS

Of the albums he hasn't heard yet, I like Conquer the best. Dark Ages and Prophecy are good too, but I didn't care for Omen too much (uninspired imo). Don't bother with the first three albums.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 6:56 am

Was Tate ceremoniously or unceremoniously booted from QR? I would go with the latter.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 10:14 am

mc666 wrote:
Chairman_Smith wrote:
THIS

Enslaved is great! Been spinning it a lot in my car.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 9:28 pm

Surprised you didn't like Battlecross more as much as you love Sodom who also incorporate some death metal sounds. I agree they cross the boundaries well.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 9:56 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Surprised you didn't like Battlecross more as much as you love Sodom who also incorporate some death metal sounds. I agree they cross the boundaries well.

I do like Battlecross. I just was disappointed when I first listened to it because it wasn't what was described to me. It's not "blue collar thrash", as the band describes it.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 10:38 pm

Makes sense. I don't even know what that means, blue collar thrash.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 10:59 pm

blue collar usually means simple, straight-forward, etc. This was not that. Still, good stuff. Slightly progressive thrash metal with a big death metal leaning.

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NLTM Aug '13 Update
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next