Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NLTM Aug '13 Update

Go down 
+21
Alex Dee Rokket
Fat Freddy
chewie
Vexer6
BearOnUnicycle
Hadley
mr.electric39
TheGreatDuck
jettafiend
Eyesore
Dark Horseman
Sutekh
Troublezone
mc666
Chairman_Smith
Required Fields
Boris2008
corplhicks
MetalRob331
Orion Crystal Ice
ultmetal
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 12:33 am

Anyone who missesd the Sepultura days with Max in the band will probably love the last three Soulfly albums. I'm expecting the upcoming album to be great as well.

Of course, I've enjoyed all their albums, but really...

Who ever expected that after those first few albums?
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 1:02 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Anyone who missesd the Sepultura days with Max in the band will probably love the last three Soulfly albums. I'm expecting the upcoming album to be great as well.

Of course, I've enjoyed all their albums, but really...

Who ever expected that after those first few albums?

I liked the "nu-metal" albums as well, especially the first one. But the since Prophecy he's really been been stepping up his game. Ever since he got Marc Rizzo in the band, it's been excellent.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 3:35 pm

Ugh, the first Soulfly album is what turned me off to the band. I probably should revisit it now though.

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 4:34 pm

I really liked the first Soulfly album it when it came out, in fact I thought it was much better than "Arise". I haven't heard it in probably a decade, not sure how it would strike me now.

I was so completely burned out on anything remotely "thrash" during that era that I of course gravitated toward Soulfly because they were doing something different.

Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 4:57 pm

On the King Kobra review:

So who would expect King Kobra to reform decades later and release something goof?

I think you meant good?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 5:10 pm

jettafiend wrote:

So who would expect King Kobra to reform decades later and release something goof?

I think you meant good?

Goof would more accurately describe King Kobra however. lol! 
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 8:16 pm

S.D. wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

I think you meant good?

Goof would more accurately describe King Kobra however.  lol! 

You might actually like this album. It's a bluesy rock and roll record with great vocals.

Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 10:50 am

Ult, have you got any Kane Roberts solo CDs?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 6:56 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Ugh, the first Soulfly album is what turned me off to the band. I probably should revisit it now though.
To me, the first album sounds like what we would have gotten from Sepultura following Roots, had Max stayed in the band. Not a bad album, but definitely their weakest. Just as Roots is Sepultura's weakest imo.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 7:23 pm

mc666 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
To me, the first album sounds like what we would have gotten from Sepultura following Roots, had Max stayed in the band. Not a bad album, but definitely their weakest. Just as Roots is Sepultura's weakest imo.

I'm not a huge fan of Roots, but I love the title track.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 1:42 am

ultmetal wrote:
mc666 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of Roots, but I love the title track.

The only Sepultera album that really clicked with me was Chaos A.D. and Prophecy from Soulfly. Granted, I have to be in a certain mood to listen to those albums, but when I am absolutely nothing else fits the mood. Both are very talented bands, they have just never been my cup of tea.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 2:01 am

Sooooo ult...Halford?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 10:04 am

corplhicks wrote:
Ult, you had mentioned Halford's voice and Painkiller and I was wondering if you noticed Halford's struggle through The Sentinel on Epitaph. He's always had a hard time with the song live, even during the original tour, and now he's resorted to a quasi-spoken word chorus; when he does hit the high notes, I feel his pain. As much as I LOVE the song, I sometimes wonder if that's one they should box up for their sake.

Good entries all around, as usual.

Sorry, I missed this post. I didn't really notice any really bad struggles. He's been struggling with some of the higher parts for years, but who can blame him. The man is in his 60's and he's singing better than most 20 year olds. I'll have to pay closer attention to that particular song.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 1:13 pm

ultmetal wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Ult, you had mentioned Halford's voice and Painkiller and I was wondering if you noticed Halford's struggle through The Sentinel on Epitaph. He's always had a hard time with the song live, even during the original tour, and now he's resorted to a quasi-spoken word chorus; when he does hit the high notes, I feel his pain. As much as I LOVE the song, I sometimes wonder if that's one they should box up for their sake.

Good entries all around, as usual.

Sorry, I missed this post. I didn't really notice any really bad struggles. He's been struggling with some of the higher parts for years, but who can blame him. The man is in his 60's and he's singing better than most 20 year olds. I'll have to pay closer attention to that particular song.

No problem, I figured you did. Yeah that's just one tough song since over half of it is originally ear-piercing screams, and IMO his best studio vocal performance. But watch any youtube video from that era to today and you can tell he probably hates singing it live. It's just very demanding, and now he has to speak the verse in a low register instead of sing it. Also, Glenn doesn't seem like he really enjoys playing that one. I dunno, it's like he can't wait to get it over with.

I should say these aren't complaints, they're just interesting. The dudes are in their 60's, anyway.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 2:08 pm

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 2:18 pm

Yeah I should've thought to post that. Smile 
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 7:49 pm

In the Geoff Tates Queensryche you mentioned he posted on Facebook Sept 1, 2013 ....

Did you mean 2012.... as its only August!!

Dig reading your stuff as always....

Happy 
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Fixed. Thanks.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 12:11 pm

I picked up Soulfly - 3 at Goodwill for $3 this weekend. I'm still really diggin' on Enslaved, so hopefully this one will be good as well.

Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 5:25 pm

Hey Ult, what do you think of the Russian glam metal band Gorky Park?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 5:52 pm

I have their CD. I played it a couple times and it came off as fairly generic sounding. I remember them being a big deal back in the day as the first Russian band, or something like that. The band's gimmick was their geographical origins but their sound is very Bon Jovi-ish. Not surprising since Bruce Fairbairn, Richie Sambora and Bon Jovi produced the album and, I am sure, had a hand in the songwriting or at least in the songs compositions. I have a really weird bias against Bon Jovi. Growing up in NJ I hated the dude and his chick rock that was being labeled as heavy metal. It was so not metal and was so generic sounding to me as well. In all, to me I remember Gorky Park as being very cookie cutter and bland. I'll pull it out and give it a few more spins. Perhaps I just have to get beyond the Bon Jovi connection.

Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 6:05 pm

Have you ever checked out Volbeat?
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 6:59 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I picked up Soulfly - 3 at Goodwill for $3 this weekend. I'm still really diggin' on Enslaved, so hopefully this one will be good as well.
I guess 3 could be considered Soulfly's last "nu-metal" album, although it does give hints that they would be moving away from the style, which happened with Prophecy. A lot of it still falls within the nu-metal style, but there are songs like the groove based "Enterfaith" and the somewhat thrash influenced "L.O.T.M.".
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 7:01 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I have their CD. I played it a couple times and it came off as fairly generic sounding. I remember them being a big deal back in the day as the first Russian band, or something like that. The band's gimmick was their geographical origins but their sound is very Bon Jovi-ish. Not surprising since Bruce Fairbairn, Richie Sambora and Bon Jovi produced the album and, I am sure, had a hand in the songwriting or at least in the songs compositions. I have a really weird bias against Bon Jovi. Growing up in NJ I hated the dude and his chick rock that was being labeled as heavy metal. It was so not metal and was so generic sounding to me as well. In all, to me I remember Gorky Park as being very cookie cutter and bland. I'll pull it out and give it a few more spins. Perhaps I just have to get beyond the Bon Jovi connection.
Always liked their cover of "My Generation".

I'd go with these guys for Russian mellower sound (basically straight-forward heavy with some ancient keys), and they're christian:

Soviet glam - never heard, not sure if I really want to. Must be god-awful.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Personally I don't think Gorky Park sound anything like Bon Jovi(who I would not call "chick rock" in any way, I personally think that's a degrading term)

Last edited by Vexer6 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '13 Update   NLTM Aug '13 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NLTM Aug '13 Update
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next