Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where were you when u first heard this song?

Go down 
+16
MetalRob331
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
corplhicks
manny
Citanul
mc666
stormspell
brokentulsa
James B.
bass63
MoonChild
BearOnUnicycle
Boris2008
Chrome Locust
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

Where were you when u first heard this song? Empty
PostSubject: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 8:16 am

The memories are a killer.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 9:25 am

In my bedroom, my cousin had the 12" picture disc. We both thought that the song was boring but when the guitars kicked in, we were in heaven. I used to start that disc half way through. After a few years and a bit of growing up, I realised that it's all great! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 9:35 am

While Playing GTA San Andreas. To be honest, GTA was one of the main music influences for me Very Happy Cum on Feel the Noize, I Wanna Rock, Peace Sells and a lot more I heard for the first time while doing some antisocial nonsense ingame.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 10:26 am

In 1977, I just joined kindergarten, and here in India this song was not common to be heard in those days. I heard it once I got myself into Rock after 1984. I do not remember when though.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:06 am

Man, I bled when I first heard this song in a country disco (we had a holiday home) - this chick is so much older than me, sticks her tongue in my ear to tease me - I was only 11 and ached for her. Had that chick on my mind for years afterwards until I met her again when I'm all grown up and she really lost her looks. Total fatty lol. I got an offer, I refused. Irony.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 3:00 pm

One of my older brothers put it on when it first came out. I've been sick of hearing this song since the 80's. In fact when I was playing bands I always tell the other members that I refuse to play Freebird or Sweet Home Alabama.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm

I know I heard it on FM radio when it came out but I diidn't get to the know the song or the band untill an older siblings boyfriend kicked me down some 8 tracks to jam to while slingin' out the news on my paper route.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 5:37 pm

Soooo long ago...I have wasted so many brain cells since the first time I heard this song I can't remember. scratch
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 6:47 pm

Here on the forum reading this topic...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 7:04 pm

No idea, probably at some redneck party in West Virginia as a teen. I hated it then and hate it even more now!

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 8:03 pm

At home when I was little. Can't remember how old though, but early for sure. My father was a HUGE Skynard fan.

Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 3:32 am

It would have been at home. I had it on a compilation called A to Z of Rock, which featured an artist starting with each letter of the alphabet, and Lynyrd Skynyrd was "L". It was also probably the first time I'd heard anything by Rush, Kansas and Journey.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 5:13 am

My local radio station used to play it every once in awhile, I am sure they would play so sneak a smoke of a spliff while it was on
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 11:20 am

I think I liked it once upon a time, it's certainly a good song. Radio didn't sustain the enjoyability factor though. What really killed it was this one guy who would show up to every concert my band--we were metal--held in the late 90's: "PLAY FREEBIRD! FREEBIRD!" Every. Damn. Time.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 12:34 pm

Probably on the radio - not a Skynyrd fan (nor am I fan of southern rock), never liked the song
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 12:47 pm

No clue. I've never been much for Skynrd or for Southern Rock in general so I don't have any deep personal relationship with that song....

Quote :
What really killed it was this one guy who would show up to every concert my band--we were metal--held in the late 90's: "PLAY FREEBIRD! FREEBIRD!" Every. Damn. Time.

Have you ever heard this version by the death/thrash band "Disarray?" They covered it purely as a response to all the morons who constantly yell out "FREEBIRD!" during live shows. Laughing very hard

The band said the first time someone in the crowd yelled "Freebird!" and they busted into this version, "you could've heard a f*ckin' pin drop" in the place when they finished. Hahahahaha!!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 1:13 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
^^ What Joker sez. Never been much for Skynrd or for Southern Rock in general.

Quote :
What really killed it was this one guy who would show up to every concert my band--we were metal--held in the late 90's: "PLAY FREEBIRD! FREEBIRD!" Every. Damn. Time.

Have you ever heard this version by the death/thrash band "Disarray?" They covered it purely as a response to all the morons who constantly yell out "FREEBIRD!" during live shows. Laughing very hard

The band said the first time someone in the crowd yelled "Freebird!" and they busted into this version, "you could've heard a f*ckin' pin drop" in the place when they finished. Hahahahaha!!!

Laughing very hard Awesome. Wish we would have done the same. Especially since I played with a wireless unit and would have been able to go right up to the guy and smack him in the head with my headstock during the solo.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 3:11 pm

God only knows. I've heard that thing ad nauseum throughout the years that it all has been a blur.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 3:19 pm

I've said this before but I think that the fact that I'm English, have never been to a redneck party and have never met an actual Hillbilly has a lot to do with me liking some southern rock stuff (well CCR, Allman Brothers and LS really)
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 3:21 pm

I love southern rock. LS have never been my thing though, except for a few songs (not this one).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 3:44 pm

The only southern rock band I can appreciate are the early Allman Brothers albums while Duane was still alive.  Amazing improvisational band that mixed in lots of jazz/fusion with the normal southern influences.

and another thing, The Outlaws "Green Grass and High Tides Forever" blows away Free bird...
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 3:56 pm

S.D. wrote:

and another thing, The Outlaws "Green Grass and High Tides Forever" blows away Free bird...

Yes, an excellent song. And I'm a bit of a Skynyrd to boot. I think that's the only Outlaw's tune I know.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 4:36 pm

S.D. wrote:
The only southern rock band I can appreciate are the early Allman Brothers albums while Duane was still alive.  Amazing improvisational band that mixed in lots of jazz/fusion with the normal southern influences.

Well said about the Allman bros.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 4:40 pm

One of the best songs ever recorded IMO!! Skynyrd will always be a favorite band of mine. Just straight from the heart Southern Rock Music... I have no idea where I heard this from first but it rly doesn't matter. It's just as amazing now as it was when it first came out...
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 8:15 pm

I was flipping stations and found this on WMGK in 1992.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where were you when u first heard this song?   Where were you when u first heard this song? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where were you when u first heard this song?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next