Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Haven't I heard this song before?

Go down 
+11
Eyesore
Wurthless
tohostudios
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
metalken
chewie
holydiver97595
ultmetal
kmorg
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Haven't I heard this song before? Empty
PostSubject: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 2:19 pm

Or the original-version-of-semi-famous-covers thread!

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 2:29 pm

Never actually heard this original version before. Needless to say, I like Maiden's cover better.

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 3:54 pm

Oh yeah, Maiden killed on that.
Back to top Go down
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 9:35 pm

Maiden's cover was definitely better (IMO).
Happens a lot with songs (Iron Savior's cover of This Flight Tonight and Hammerfall's cover of My Sharona).
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:47 am

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 3:44 pm

Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 12:23 am

kmorg wrote:

Being Canadian, I was a aware and had heard this version before Qeensryche did their take on it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 9:50 am

Hmmmmm, I think I'll stick with Great White. Sorry, DeathCult Razz

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 9:52 am

Iron Maiden covered this one during the NO PRAYER FOR THE DYING era:

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 1:45 pm

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 2:26 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 2:32 pm

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 12:51 am

Nektar - King of Twilight, also another Maiden cover that I like better than the original.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 2:47 am

metalken wrote:
kmorg wrote:

Being Canadian, I was a aware and had heard this version before Qeensryche did their take on it.
I really dig this version, too. I like Ryche's version, but I kind of prefer the original.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 2:58 am

Oh, how about Ednaswap:

That was on their self-titled debut in 1995. They re-recorded it for the follow-up, Wacko Magneto, in 1997. A bit more raw than the original:

Then they put out the Chicken EP and once again re-recorded the song, this time a bit more stripped down and mellow.

Anyone else ever heard of Ednaswap? Yeah, didn't think so. That song sure did make one girl rich, though. It had to suck to be in Ednaswap. Haha. To write this song, know it had potential to be a hit, and put it on three albums in a row...and nothing. Then someone sticks a little programmed beat behind it and...money falls from the sky! Haha.

After Ednaswap broke up, the two main songwriters went on to be industry songwriters. Guess they learned a sad lesson about today's music industry. Hopefully they've finally found success.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 5:02 am

Not sure how many of you are familiar with Evergrey, and their cover of this song:

I love both versions, and even have the original as a CD-single. For those of you unfamiliar with the cover version, here's Evergrey:

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 5:11 am

Eyesore wrote:
Oh, how about Ednaswap:

That was on their self-titled debut in 1995. They re-recorded it for the follow-up, Wacko Magneto, in 1997. A bit more raw than the original:

Then they put out the Chicken EP and once again re-recorded the song, this time a bit more stripped down and mellow.

Anyone else ever heard of Ednaswap? Yeah, didn't think so. That song sure did make one girl rich, though. It had to suck to be in Ednaswap. Haha. To write this song, know it had potential to be a hit, and put it on three albums in a row...and nothing. Then someone sticks a little programmed beat behind it and...money falls from the sky! Haha.

After Ednaswap broke up, the two main songwriters went on to be industry songwriters. Guess they learned a sad lesson about today's music industry. Hopefully they've finally found success.

Cool! Never knew the original version. Natalie Imbruglia even used the same music video footage, only in color!!

Here in Norway we are most familiar with this version, recorded a year or so before Natalie broke the song worldwide:

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 6:44 am

Wow, I never knew 'Torn' was a cover. It's a great song but it's so ubiquitously associated with Imbruglia, it's got to bite to be in Ednaswap.

The only relevant thing I can think of adding is this;

I think the story is Alice and Zodiac Mindwarp wrote the song together and they both recorded it. It's not surprising that Alice's got a little bit bigger though.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 2:50 pm

Yeah, worse for Ednaswap, Natalie Imbruglia never said it was a cover; she always talked about how she wrote it, which kind of infuriated the band members. Pretty shady.

Kurt, I didn't know there was another cover of that tune! Crazy.

And that's the Natalie Imbruglia video with the original song edited over it. YouTubers are confusing twats sometimes. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 9:22 pm

chewie wrote:

I had no idea Tesla's version was a cover.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 5:48 am

Eyesore wrote:
Yeah, worse for Ednaswap, Natalie Imbruglia never said it was a cover; she always talked about how she wrote it, which kind of infuriated the band members. Pretty shady.
Yeah, it was very much covered up. I posted the original on Facebook and suffice to say, a few friends have had their worlds redefined by discovering it's a cover ;P

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 11:03 am

Up until about a month ago, I had no idea that Santana's version was a cover originally done by Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. Can't find a studio version, so a live performance will have to suffice...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 4:54 am

Cool to hear the Zodiac Mindwarp version of "Feed my Frankenstein"! Never knew this existed.

Here's another original (live though, could not find a studio version) you might recognize:

Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 5:31 pm

This one surprised me when I first found out it was a cover:

https://youtu.be/xnZD61tynS4

I think I prefer the Anacrusis version myself
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 11:33 am

Different lyrics, but still the same song.

PostSubject: Re: Haven't I heard this song before?   Haven't I heard this song before? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Haven't I heard this song before?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next