Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kiske-era or Deris-era?

Go down 
+16
mc666
Temple of Blood
exact33
stepcousin
Eyesore
Lari
Dark Horseman
corplhicks
Boris2008
Orion Crystal Ice
RAIDwarden
BearOnUnicycle
Fat Freddy
MoonChild
MetallicSeminarian
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Deris or Kiske era?
Kiske
Kiske-era or Deris-era? Vote_lcap36%Kiske-era or Deris-era? Vote_rcap
 36% [ 8 ]
Deris
Kiske-era or Deris-era? Vote_lcap64%Kiske-era or Deris-era? Vote_rcap
 64% [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 22

AuthorMessage
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

Kiske-era or Deris-era? Empty
PostSubject: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 12:34 pm

I had not had much luck getting into this band until recently. I was in the mood for some power metal, so I decided to give them another shot. It finally clicked and now I'm searching out all their albums.

My question is, do you prefer the Kiske era of the band or the Deris era? At this point, I'm going for Deris, although I got into the band through the Kiske stuff. Both great vocalists.

I realize that the Deris stuff contains more albums, but you can still have a favorite. Many people like the Dio era of sabbath better, even though they had fewer albums than the ozzy era. In other words, just vote and tell me why Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 12:39 pm

Deris era - definitely. Kiske and Hansen were good enough, but to me, Deris is perfect fit for Helloween!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37868

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 1:01 pm

Kiske's only truly killer album w/Helloween was Keeper Part I (I know, a lot of people prefer Part II for some reason... but they're wrong dammit!) ...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 1:02 pm

Kiske. Keepers are still unmatched, and besides, I simply can't get into Deris aside from "Where the Rain Grows".
Back to top Go down
RAIDwarden
Metal novice
Metal novice
RAIDwarden

Number of posts : 54

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 1:03 pm

DERIS! His voice is soooooooo evil and he's just perfect for Helloween
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40551

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 1:18 pm

Although the Kiske era is considered legendary and perhaps the originators of german power metal (and were truly fantastic), I'm gonna say Deris. After the band stumbled a bit with Pink Bubbles and Chameleon, he stepped in and help bring the band back to prominence and they've been putting out rock solid albums ever since. Deris is the perfect fit for Helloween.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 1:22 pm

You know what? I really can't stand Deris' voice but 'Better Than Raw', and 'The Dark Ride' do have the strongest sets of songs overall IMO. So...
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 1:30 pm

Kai!!! angry 
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40551

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 1:32 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Kai!!! angry 

He's in the Gamma Ray poll. Laughing 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 2:01 pm

Well, all I've heard with Deris is Straight Out of Hell and Metal Jukebox, but what I've heard is miles above Kiske, who's voice irritates me. So I voted Deris. RAID is right; dude has an evil voice, which in my book is always a good thing.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 2:03 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
You know what? I really can't stand Deris' voice but 'Better Than Raw', and 'The Dark Ride' do have the strongest sets of songs overall IMO. So...

I really like Deris' voice, but I can understand how it wouldn't appeal to everybody.

I hear a lot of similarities between Deris and Herbie (can't remember his last name) from seventh avenue/sinbreed.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 2:36 pm

RAIDwarden wrote:
DERIS! His voice is soooooooo evil and he's just perfect for Helloween

headbanger 
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 4:12 pm

Deris is one of my favorite vocalists.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 4:17 pm

Kiske is the better vocalist, but the Deris era albums are more solid. Obviously the original Keepers albums are classics, but that's only two (the other two Kiske albums are forgettable) and Helloween with Deris has been prolific and constantly excellent.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 4:41 pm

Deris-era all the way. While I dig the Kiske-era stuff, even Chameleon and Pink Bubbles to an extent, it doesn't even come close to the great stuff they've done with Deris. And that includes the Keeper albums, which I think are vastly overrated.

I understand how influential they are, but that doesn't necessarily mean later albums can't be better albums. I think a lot of people have a difficult time separating the two. They will never release a more influential pair of albums, but they have released a ton of better albums. Hell, I think Keeper III blows the first two away.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 5:08 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Deris-era all the way. While I dig the Kiske-era stuff, even Chameleon and Pink Bubbles to an extent, it doesn't even come close to the great stuff they've done with Deris. And that includes the Keeper albums, which I think are vastly overrated.

I understand how influential they are, but that doesn't necessarily mean later albums can't be better albums. I think a lot of people have a difficult time separating the two. They will never release a more influential pair of albums, but they have released a ton of better albums. Hell, I think Keeper III blows the first two away.

I'm with Ken on this one, although I haven't heard III. I've never been into the first two Keepers. Walls of Jericho, though, made me wish Kai would have never stopped singing.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 5:25 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Kai!!! angry 

headbanger 
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 5:32 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I'm with Ken on this one, although I haven't heard III. I've never been into the first two Keepers. Walls of Jericho, though, made me wish Kai would have never stopped singing.
Singing in general or singing in Helloween? Just want to make sure you know he sings in Gamma Ray. =)
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Eyesore wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Singing in general or singing in Helloween? Just want to make sure you know he sings in Gamma Ray. =)

Oh yeah, and IMHO Gamma Ray is a far superior band headbanger . I should've said never stopped singing in Helloween.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 7:13 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Oh yeah, and IMHO Gamma Ray is a far superior band headbanger
71% of people disagree with you
Click
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 7:21 pm

Lari wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Oh yeah, and IMHO Gamma Ray is a far superior band headbanger
71% of people disagree with you
Click

Now it's 67%. lol! 
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23270

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 8:44 pm

Deris for me.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 10:14 pm

I'm surprised anyone chose Deris, much less a majority of people here.

Keepers 1 is a masterpiece and I have yet to hear a good song or live performance from Deris.

What are the top 3 Deris-era songs? I need to check these out.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 11:47 pm

This Deris hater is gonna vouch for...

I'd also probably recommend 'Revelation'.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 12:36 am

I'm surprised anyone chose Deris, much less a majority of people here. wrote:

Are you always surprised when anyone doesn't think like you?

I'll take Gambling and Better then Raw over the Keepers albums even though I really enjoy those.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kiske-era or Deris-era?   Kiske-era or Deris-era? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kiske-era or Deris-era?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next