Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween?

Go down 
+8
Fat Freddy
A Handful of Wayne
MoonChild
Dark Horseman
exact33
tohostudios
Lari
12 posters

Which band do you prefer?
Kai-fronted Gamma Ray
Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Vote_lcap32%Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Vote_rcap
 32% [ 6 ]
Deris-fronted Helloween
Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Vote_lcap68%Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Vote_rcap
 68% [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 19

AuthorMessage
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Empty
PostSubject: Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween?   Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 7:47 pm

Here we have two europower giants. Two heirs of the original Keepers-era Helloween.

And the recent Gamma Ray discography thread got me thinking about this topic.

Helloween of the late 80s was the undoubted ruler of the European melodic power metal scene. But then the creative team of Hansen and Weikath split up. Which "spinoff" do you prefer? For the sake of coherence, we'll skip the two pop-metal albums Helloween did after Kai left and start with 1994's heavy metal comeback Master of the Rings. And for Gamma Ray, to not give them an unfair advantage in diversity, let's leave out the formative years with Scheepers and start with Land of the Free. The album that not just coincided with Helloween's return to power metal, but signified the return of Kai Hansen as a lead vocalist. AND semi-solidified their lineup.

Since then, I feel, it's been a constant game of one-upmanship between the two bands.

So it's...

Master of the Rings
The Time of the Oath
Better than Raw
The Dark Ride
Rabbit Don't Come Easy
Keeper of the Seven Keys - the Legacy
Gambling with the Devil
7 Sinners

VERSUS

Land of the Free
Somewhere out in Space
Power Plant
No World Order!
Majestic
Land of the Free II
To the Metal!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween?   Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 7:53 pm

I can't stand Kai's vocals; he sounds like a castrato IMO. So obviously my vote is for Deris-era Helloween.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23270

PostSubject: Re: Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween?   Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 9:39 pm

Deris. I love his Helloween output.

Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween?   Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 10:16 pm

Deris era Helloween is some of my favorite music.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween?   Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 1:08 am

Deris-fronted Helloween
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40551

PostSubject: Re: Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween?   Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 10:19 am

As much as I like both bands, Deris-fronted Helloween is much better of the two.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween?   Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 1:53 pm

Yea Helloween for me as well. Gamma Ray hasnt been consistent in their releases.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37868

PostSubject: Re: Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween?   Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 1:55 pm

I like Gamma Ray better with Kai on vox than I did with Ralf, but if forced to choose I'd have to go with Deris fronted Helloween. I certainly listen to them more than I listen to Gamma Ray.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween?   Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 4:17 pm

I'm a bit surprised at the margin here. Helloween is winning in a landslide.

I also voted for Deris-era Helloween, but it's a very close decision for me. I love Gamma Ray, and they are definitely a top band in my books. I even think Kai Hansen is the better vocalist here. And make no mistake, he was AMAZING already on Walls of Jericho - I can't believe people here don't like his balls to the wall shrieks.

Both bands make incredible tunes filled with memorable melodies and both rock hard, but what makes the difference for me is the overall sound of Deris-era Helloween compared to Gamma Ray. Gamma Ray has a more clinical, traditional heavy metal sound. Quite generic, actually. Helloween is dirtier, the rhythm section isn't as precise, and that makes it more edgy and gritty and unique. Everyone talks about Dan Zimmermann, but the drumming on the Helloween (especially with Uli Kusch) records has been great.

In short, Helloween just has more character, while Gamma Ray is a little faceless and tasteless (apart from Kai's unique and amazing lead vocals). I do like Henjo Richter, but lately for some reason Helloween has even had the better solos. Gambling with the Devil had some tasty lead guitar work.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween?   Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 4:44 pm

What it really is, is look at the line up since Deris has been vocalist. Helloween has 2 drummers come and go as well as guitar players. I really hope this line up stays, but who knows. I really think thats what has helped Helloween evolve into what they are today. If they were to stay with the original line up I honestly don't think they would still be around today. If they were I doubt they would be doing anything that theyre doing now or even close.

Gamma Ray has had the same line up since Somewhere Out In Space (I think?) until now with their drummer leaving. Maybe with the new drummer they can get out of the rut they seem to be in but I doubt it.

who knows... Sometimes new musicians bring fresh life into a band and other times it can send them into the grave. Its worked well for Helloween though.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween?   Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 7:51 am

"Land of the Free" is much much better than "Master of the Rings". There's only one good song on the latter. After that both bands went "faceless and tasteless" for me, so I vote for Rays. Now I'm gonna listen to "Heading for Tomorrow".
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween?   Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 6:59 pm

Love both but Helloween is one of my top 10-15 bands and Deris dominates my Helloween discography.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween?   Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 1:25 am

voted for Kai, to go against the grain.

i like...
The Time of the Oath
Better than Raw
The Dark Ride
Rabbit Don't Come Easy

and...
Land of the Free
Somewhere out in Space
Power Plant
No World Order!

but that's about it from both. i've kinda fell out of touch with power metal.

Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween?   Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 4:42 pm

Prefer deris behind the mic.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween?   Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 7:04 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
"Land of the Free" is much much better than "Master of the Rings". There's only one good song on the latter. After that both bands went "faceless and tasteless" for me, so I vote for Rays. Now I'm gonna listen to "Heading for Tomorrow".

What is the "one good track" on Master of the Rings? Still We Go?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween?   Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kai-sung Gamma Ray or Deris-era Helloween?
Page 1 of 1