Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Judas Priest - Nostradamus

Go down 
+19
candlemass
MetalRob331
Shawn Of Fire
Cliffy
Dark Horseman
ultmetal
manny
Wayne
mc666
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
Lari
corplhicks
Witchfinder
Orion Crystal Ice
MoonChild
Boris2008
bass63
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Wayne wrote:
I'll go on record as saying that I quite liked Nostradamus. Not priests best but solid enough and I quite liked the symphonic parts. If that means I've got bad taste in music so be it, it's my taste and it works for me.

Lets get this thread back on track or let it die. No point turning into a slagging match of whose taste in music is good/bad.

There's nothing wrong with the way you think. I started this thread. I don't like Nostradamus. You do. Like I said... nothing wrong with that. I just wanted to know what you guys thought. No name calling....it ain't cool.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 2:42 pm

I like my share of Priest songs and I never said Nightwish were a better band bcuz quite frankly I dont feel any band is better than the next. I just like more Nightwish songs than I do Priest songs, especially with how big their discography is.

I put on Nostradamus and here is what i think of the record...

First off the interludes between each song ruins the flow of the disc for me. Some of my fav bands have done this and it never works ie. Iced Earth and Elvinking.. Musically on disc one it gets too slow between tracks 5-12.. Which makes the record drag along IMO... Fav tracks are Prophecy and the KILLER STANDOUT TRACK IMO.. Persecution which IMO has one of Priests best solos...

Disc 2... Sleep sigh Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 352445 

This album has its moments but gets painful at times. It's not Priest's best but it's far from their worse IMO... I love Symphonic arrangements in metal, that classical feel adds a vibe Priest hadn't done before. The songs just aren't that strong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 2:51 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:

So this means a band is better than another, based on album sales?  

It only means that if you're too dumb to read my entire quote.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 3:06 pm

S.D. wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

So this means a band is better than another, based on album sales?  

It only means that if you're too dumb to read my entire quote.

Why quote a bands album sales if you're not trying to promote it? Laughing very hard 

Im well passed the bickering, but if you wanna keep going, more power to ya Razz 
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 8:28 pm

I'm glad to see so many people care about their music. We're never all gonna agree. I can tell you I've been on this site 3 weeks and there is music you guys listen to that I HATE. But also there is music talked about here that I LOVE. wrote:

You're in the cornfields of Nebraska so you're forgiven.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 9:18 pm

So it's really funny that this topic came up again now because I just listened to both CDs again last week.

I think some of the strongest material is on (and most consistent disc overall is) the second disc.  Having said that, I can understand why Priest fans didn't have the attention span to make it that far because it really does require a listening commitment and they were never really known as that kind of band before.  I wasn't crazy about it before and now I like it a lot more than I did.

I think the orchestration (which usually in metal sounds cheesy, forced and inappropriate) on this stuff is really great.  Really, the whole production is great.  Travis' playing is good and tasteful.  The title track is one of the best songs they ever wrote, and doesn't rely solely on vocal histrionics to make it work either (like some of their old stuff).  The middle classical part of the song I consider to be utterly brilliant.

They should've condensed it down to 1 CD and had the 2 CD version be part of some deluxe ultra-fanboy edition.  It would've been pretty much as good as "Angel of Retribution" then.

I don't blame them one bit for trying something very different.  There is still a level of quality here that is well above most metal bands.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 9:24 pm

In the end for me its not something i pull out to listen to very often.

Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 10:33 pm

They should've condensed it down to 1 CD and had the 2 CD version be part of some deluxe ultra-fanboy edition. It would've been pretty much as good as "Angel of Retribution" then. wrote:

Definitely would've been better. I've listened more too and i'm enjoying it.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 2:46 am

bass63 wrote:
Wayne wrote:
I'll go on record as saying that I quite liked Nostradamus. Not priests best but solid enough and I quite liked the symphonic parts. If that means I've got bad taste in music so be it, it's my taste and it works for me.

Lets get this thread back on track or let it die. No point turning into a slagging match of whose taste in music is good/bad.

There's nothing wrong with the way you think. I started this thread. I don't like Nostradamus. You do. Like I said... nothing wrong with that. I just wanted to know what you guys thought. No name calling....it ain't cool.

Cannot for the life of me understand this post scratch 

For a start I wasn't calling you or anyone any names. Second my post wasn't even a response to the OP. I've already posted my thoughts on Nostradamus earlier in the thread. My post quoted above was more in response to the silly bickering that started a few posts previous with the "your taste in music is lousy" stuff.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 2:49 am

One thing this thread has certainly done and that's made me want to listen to Nostradamus lol.

Listening to it now headbanger 
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 1:52 pm

Wayne wrote:
One thing this thread has certainly done and that's made me want to listen to Nostradamus lol.

Anything or any reason that makes you listen to music is okay in my book!    humble
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 6:59 pm

bass63 wrote:
Wayne wrote:

Anything or any reason that makes you listen to music is okay in my book!    humble
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 4:20 pm

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/k-k-downing-on-leaving-judas-priest-i-just-wasnt-enjoying-it-anymore/

KK Downing:
Quote :
"If you consider an album like [JUDAS PRIEST's much-maligned conceptual effort] 'Nostradamus', then if that had been released in 1978, then it would have been another 'Dark Side Of The Moon', but it is all about the timing.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 4:32 pm

Lari wrote:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/k-k-downing-on-leaving-judas-priest-i-just-wasnt-enjoying-it-anymore/

KK Downing:
Quote :
"If you consider an album like [JUDAS PRIEST's much-maligned conceptual effort] 'Nostradamus', then if that had been released in 1978, then it would have been another 'Dark Side Of The Moon', but it is all about the timing.
wut
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 4:58 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Lari wrote:

KK Downing:
Quote :
wut
Well, I wouldn't go that far, but perhaps he's making the point that fans and radio were more open (re: stoned) to more conceptual and/or experimental sounds back then. And Judas Priest weren't locked into the heavy metal genre yet either. They were just starting their journey into what we now know as heavy metal so doing something more experimental would have been more acceptable.

I can see his point. Kinda sorta.

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 5:22 pm

Sorry, but Nostradamus would have been just as hamfisted in 1978 as it is now.  Plus I think KK needs to check his history because most of the well-recieved concept records came from the early 70s (including Dark Side), very few bands were still doing that in 1978.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 8:17 pm

S.D. wrote:
Sorry, but Nostradamus would have been just as hamfisted in 1978 as it is now.  Plus I think KK needs to check his history because most of the well-recieved concept records came from the early 70s (including Dark Side), very few bands were still doing that in 1978.
Maybe he meant The Wall? Plus most of those concept albums were pretty whacked out i.e. lacking a cohesive narrative. Even Tommy and Quadrophenia had bizarre twists and turns.

Nostradamus plays out like a History Channel special.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 6:50 pm

Some lp's are "growers", this one seems to be a "shrinker" for me, the more I listen to it, the less I like it. So it has nothing to do w/my attention span, or lack of commitment to really listen, as I love many conceptual pieces, like Saviour Machine's "Legend" series. It just doesn't flow very well, it's not cohesive, and it really doesn't take you anywhere, perhaps this was a little too ambitious for them...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Judas Priest - Nostradamus
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3