Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Judas Priest - Nostradamus

Go down 
+19
candlemass
MetalRob331
Shawn Of Fire
Cliffy
Dark Horseman
ultmetal
manny
Wayne
mc666
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
Lari
corplhicks
Witchfinder
Orion Crystal Ice
MoonChild
Boris2008
bass63
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 3:11 pm

I culled the best songs off it and put together a disc but I still hardly listen to it.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 7:39 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I culled the best songs off it and put together a disc but I still hardly listen to it.
Just curious, what songs did you pick for your disc?

I came up with an LP length track list, and it's this:

SIDE ONE (~21mins)
1. Nostradamus
2. Alone
3. Shadows in the Flame
4. Visions

SIDE TWO (~22mins)
5. Dawn of Creation
6. Prophecy
7. The Four Horsemen
8. War
9. Sands of Time
10. Pestilence and Plague

Total running time 43:27
Back to top Go down
Cliffy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Cliffy

Number of posts : 415

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 8:56 pm

I was excited for this album with all the build up to it. Upon listening to it, I couldn't believe it was priest and that it was the follow up to the mighty Angel Of Retribution (which is simply glorious from start to finish). Nostradamus sounds like a bunch of awful, awful demos.

Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 12:43 am

My songs:

Revelation
War
Pestilence and Plague
Death
Persecution
Exiled
Alone
New Beginnings
Nostradamus
Future of Mankind
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 3:43 am

Cliffy wrote:
I was excited for this album with all the build up to it.  Upon listening to it, I couldn't believe it was priest and that it was the follow up to the mighty Angel Of Retribution (which is simply glorious from start to finish).  Nostradamus sounds like a bunch of awful, awful demos.

Angel was quite an album.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 11:40 am

Angel of Retribution, to me, sounded a little too 'safe'. Prior to that Priest were always exploring new approaches to their metal. And Halford sounded a little strained, after having gotten used to Owens.

Dark Horseman wrote:
My songs:

Revelation
War
Pestilence and Plague
Death
Persecution
Exiled
Alone
New Beginnings
Nostradamus
Future of Mankind

Surprised there's no Visions?!?

Amazing track

Visions in the night show me what is right
Help me through the maze of mystery
I would sell my soul if only I could know
What the future holds and what will be
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Had to go back and listen to the album to hear that song. You're right, how'd I miss that?
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 4:19 pm

I think they played Prophecy, War and Nostradamus live when I saw them last.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 8:43 am

I never even listened to enough of it to truly judge it until I got the Complete Albums Collection box. So I went straight to it and I have to say it's not nearly as bad as everyone says it is, IMO. From all the badmouthing, I was expecting Priest's 'St. Anger' and it's nowhere near that bad. Some of the intros and segues orchestral parts could be a little dragged out at times, but that doesn't make it "bad"...just a little over-indulgent. The actual songs on the album are cool, IMO. Maybe Priest should not have attempted a double-concept album this late in their career, but on the other hand I think they have more than earned the right to do what they want.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 8:53 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I never even listened to enough of it to truly judge it until I got the Complete Albums Collection box. So I went straight to it and I have to say it's not nearly as bad as everyone says it is, IMO. From all the badmouthing, I was expecting Priest's 'St. Anger' and it's nowhere near that bad. Some of the intros and segues orchestral parts could be a little dragged out at times, but that doesn't make it "bad"...just a little over-indulgent. The actual songs on the album are cool, IMO. Maybe Priest should not have attempted a double-concept album this late in their career, but on the other hand I think they have more than earned the right to do what they want.

They also earned my admiration for not playing it safe, and trying something so ambitious. My opinion on the album like I said before is mixed, still not sure how I feel about the album overall, but I am impressed that at this stage of their career they attempt not only a concept album but a concept album so grandiose.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 9:46 am

[quote="Witchfinder"][quote="Wayne"]
Witchfinder wrote:
 Priest is a straight-ahead, down-the-middle, unpretentious Metal band.  Leave the concept album fruitery for lesser bands like Nightwish and their ilk.  

What makes any band lesser than another?

I'll take Nightwish over Priest any day....
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 12:44 pm

[quote="MetalRob331"]
Witchfinder wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
 Priest is a straight-ahead, down-the-middle, unpretentious Metal band.  Leave the concept album fruitery for lesser bands like Nightwish and their ilk.  

What makes any band lesser than another?  

What makes any band lesser than another? The answer to that is personal taste.  I think Nightwish is awful and Priest is godly.  It's that simple.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 12:48 pm

Judas Priest - 40 year career, innovators, 50 million albums sold worldwide.

Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 12:49 pm

Cliffy wrote:
I was excited for this album with all the build up to it.  Upon listening to it, I couldn't believe it was priest and that it was the follow up to the mighty Angel Of Retribution (which is simply glorious from start to finish).  Nostradamus sounds like a bunch of awful, awful demos.

Pft, just not your cup of tea, certainly nothing like AoR, nor was it intended to be, I think it's a fine effort in it's own right.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
ElectricEye93
Metal novice
Metal novice
ElectricEye93

Number of posts : 53

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 5:47 pm

Personally I think it's just a classic example of an album that shouldn't have been a double album. There is at least 40 minutes of strong material on there but when you listen to it all the way through it kinda gets buries in a lot of so-so tracks.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 9:56 pm

S.D. wrote:

So this means a band is better than another, based on album sales? It's all about taste but throw away the whole album sales bcuz if we were figuring that into the conversation there is a lot of current artists that JP is lesser than LOL!!!

It's just like sports statistics, of course the longer you do it the more your stats increase. Same here... Brett Favre isnt the greatest QB to ever play Football bcuz he has the most Td's all time, is he?

I liked the Symphonic direction JP went with this release, I just never thought of them as great songwriters, so it just didnt work.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 10:46 pm

Did you miss the 40 year career part and the innovator part? Sure there's a lot of opinion with music but it's hard to deny the impact Priest has had.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 7:16 am

This thread has definitely gone a bit WTF!!! affraid 
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 8:28 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
Did you miss the 40 year career part and the innovator part? Sure there's a lot of opinion with music but it's hard to deny the impact Priest has had.

This - they were innovators and the entire genre owes a lot to Priest. They were really the Metal band to call themselves Metal, where as the early metal bands (Purple, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Sabbath) didn't refer to themselves as metal (the press and fans of the time did.) Nightwish? Please - I like some of their albums but they are far from innovators. They aren't doing anything that hasn't been done before
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 8:44 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

So this means a band is better than another, based on album sales?  It's all about taste but throw away the whole album sales bcuz if we were figuring that into the conversation there is a lot of current artists that JP is lesser than LOL!!!  

It's just like sports statistics, of course the longer you do it the more your stats increase.  Same here... Brett Favre isnt the greatest QB to ever play Football bcuz he has the most Td's all time, is he?

I liked the Symphonic direction JP went with this release, I just never thought of them as great songwriters, so it just didnt work.  

You have the worst taste in music or need to get your hearing checked
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 8:59 am

manny wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

So this means a band is better than another, based on album sales?  It's all about taste but throw away the whole album sales bcuz if we were figuring that into the conversation there is a lot of current artists that JP is lesser than LOL!!!  

It's just like sports statistics, of course the longer you do it the more your stats increase.  Same here... Brett Favre isnt the greatest QB to ever play Football bcuz he has the most Td's all time, is he?

lol!  Ahh one of those guys? Bcuz I don't like a band you like, I have bad taste in music? We all have different tastes and there is enough music to go around for everyone.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 10:31 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
manny wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

lol!   Ahh one of those guys?  Bcuz I don't like a band you like, I have bad taste in music?  We all have different tastes and there is enough music to go around for everyone.

Nope plenty of music alot of these guys like I can't stand, and lot of bands I love that my friends loathe, but saying Judas Priest are horrid songwriters!! Christ almighty!!!!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 11:13 am

I think Priest are/were great songwriters, one of my favorite bands, and also I think that Nightwish has had a lot of killer songs too. I think the fact that Rob likes what he likes and it's not even way way out of the league (like if he had said Seether was better than JP) says a lot about his passion for music, and it pisses people off so I have to support him. \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 12:25 pm

I'll go on record as saying that I quite liked Nostradamus. Not priests best but solid enough and I quite liked the symphonic parts. If that means I've got bad taste in music so be it, it's my taste and it works for me.

Lets get this thread back on track or let it die. No point turning into a slagging match of whose taste in music is good/bad.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 12:35 pm

I'm glad to see so many people care about their music. We're never all gonna agree. I can tell you I've been on this site 3 weeks and there is music you guys listen to that I HATE. But also there is music talked about here that I LOVE. I love the lively debates on here. Keep it up. It entertains me.    Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 25679
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Judas Priest - Nostradamus
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next