Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel]

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel] Empty
PostSubject: Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel]   Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 4:36 pm

As of late I have been listening to a lot of different late 60s / 70s prog-rock bands and I need help trying to track down an album I saw in stores many years ago.

I don't remember the band's name or the album title, or song titles lol I just remember the album cover: all pink with some black, band logo is very angular. The album cover looks like a mix between Uriah Heep's Demons and Wizards and The Magician's Birthday. However it is not multi coloured like those. The predominant colour is pink (like a the glazing on a donut or a strawberry milk shake)

Last edited by Alex Dee Rokket on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel]   Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 5:22 pm

This is probably a crapshoot, but I'm going through the custom charts on rateyourmusic for Heavy Psych, Progressive Rock, Psychadelic rock, and symphonic prog looking for the characteristics you gave.

Do you have any more specifics about it?
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel]   Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 7:13 pm

Not sure how relevant this is - but one thing which surprised me is the album was not from the 60s or 70s but from the 1980s. I was quite surprised because the artwork closely resembled the style of late 60s / early-mid 70s bands (as seen on the album covers of Rush / Uriah Heep).

Again, maybe not so relevant, but the packaging was somewhat different than anything I had previously seen at the time. At first I thought it was a vinyl record, but actually it looked like an over-sized digibook. In fact, the size and packaging quality almost felt like a children's story book.

From memory there are mountains, and there is some sort of a wizard flying and very close to the logo. These were drawn in a black and white comic book style mixed with this creamy (Pink Panther like) background.

Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel]   Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 7:21 pm

Yes! Finally my mind is at rest:

http://www.ferhiga.com/progre/portadas/pallas-sentinel2.jpg

It wasn't quite as I remembered it - the black and white is there but not as I had remembered it...

there is that pink donut strawberry glazing around the cover but the background is actually in colour - I kept thinking about that horse looking creature and how it is illustrated in black and white (though I thought it was a wizard lol)
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel]   Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 7:28 pm

I remember Pallas but not what they sounded like. (Never would have got that one though)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel]   Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 7:33 pm

Pallas is still around, in fact they are in the process of recording a new album right now. I've talked with the bass player on facebook several times, he's a real nice guy and he really loves talking about all things progressive rock.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel]   Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 7:33 pm

I am just listening to this album on Spotify now. It sounds great if you are into 70s prog-rock (along the lines of Camel and Rush). Quite a lot of synth work, mythical fantasy lyrics, vocals sound very British.

I like it but it certainly doesn't "belong" in the 1980s scene. I just mean that when you listen to this album you'll instantly think 1978 Hemispheres era Rush.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel]   Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 7:37 pm

Yeah, there was a mini prog revival in the mid 80's in the U.K Marillion, IQ, Pallas and others, I took very little notice because it wasn't heavy or lightning fast or both!
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel]   Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Yeah, Neo-prog has some really great stuff, Pallas included. Marillion is easily the standout band for me, though.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel]   Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel] Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:30 pm

I came to this party late! Love me some Neo Prog. Marillion is the standout band. Check out Twelfth Night as well. I have that Pallas album on LP and cd. Great Stuff!!!

I managed to find Pallas, Twelfth Night and IQ doing the Live From London show on DVD.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel]   Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel] Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 1:33 am

Pallas's most recent album, XXV was a sequel to The Sentinel.  I haven't actually heard the original so I don't know how much it links back to the original, but it was one of my favourite prog albums of the last couple of years.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel]   Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help me identify this band / album [SOLVED Pallas - Sentinel]
Page 1 of 1