Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Version of Black Sabbath

Go down 
+25
nevermore
Leatherface
Witchfinder
journeyman
Boris2008
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
manny
BearOnUnicycle
mc666
SAHB Healer
corplhicks
Dark Horseman
exact33
Lari
candlemass
ultmetal
brokentulsa
akeldama
Sword Of The Heretic
Shawn Of Fire
MetallicSeminarian
bass63
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 5:09 pm

James B. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
I'm curious as to why Appice is generally looked down on as the unwanted member of the band.

Boring, predictable, no swing, and playing behind/following the band is lame in my book, especially in regards to Sabbath. Ward was just as an integral ingredient as any of the other 3 original members to Sabbath's unique sound.  Even though Sabbath is a metal band, IMHDO they fail with the traditional metal drummer playing with them.

I can understand this. I wonder if they would have benefited from Carmine's playing.
Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 6:58 pm

bass63 wrote:
Hey folks I'm new here so if this subjects been covered before I'm sorry.

What version of Black Sabbath is your favorite? For me it is the Iommi, Butler, Dio, Appice version. As you guys & gals respond I'll tell you why I like that version best....

Don't be fooled....This is Arttie in disguise [even if he does not know it yet...].
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 7:20 pm

bass63 wrote:
Chrome Locust wrote:
bass63 wrote:
Hey folks I'm new here so if this subjects been covered before I'm sorry.

What version of Black Sabbath is your favorite? For me it is the Iommi, Butler, Dio, Appice version. As you guys & gals respond I'll tell you why I like that version best....

Wow, now that is a risk thread, brother.  Fair play to you for having the bollocks to start a thread like that. If I had done that it would have ended in mayhem laughing 

One, much as I'd love to go with your line up, as I utterly love Dio, the King of rock and roll who enabled Sabbath to do things musically that would not have been possible under Ozzy, I have to go with Ward, Butler, Godfather and Ozzy for the sheer reason that they (that line up) invented metal and influenced literally thousands of metal bands.  Heaven & Hell also saw metal move in a more progressive direction when Ronnie put a growl to the vocal that went in hand in hand with the melodic standard metal vocal at the time - he took it to new levels; and seems only real talent can play our music, other singers quickly copied this style, AND I AM NOW waffling and going way off whatever it was I was talking about  Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 3 82702 

Welcome to the forum, brother - I began my apprenticeship here last November, its a great forum.    
Thanks I love talking music with anybody. I love my music man.     
 Dio  Dio RULES    Dio

You've found a forum here so, brother. Loads of cats here know their metal (way more than I ever will), and you get to hear about tons of bands you might not of heard of. I've picked up about twenty bands to my cd collection since joining here, I would not of otherwise heard of. Its a great community. Where you from, matey - I'm from Dunlaoghaire, south co Dublin, Ireland.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 9:58 am

James B. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
I'm curious as to why Appice is generally looked down on as the unwanted member of the band.

Boring, predictable, no swing, and playing behind/following the band is lame in my book, especially in regards to Sabbath. Ward was just as an integral ingredient as any of the other 3 original members to Sabbath's unique sound.  Even though Sabbath is a metal band, IMHDO they fail with the traditional metal drummer playing with them.

Its funny when I was younger, I had no real apprecation to what Bill Ward brought to the table. I had no backround on jazz, I knew he was different, but I did know why he stood out. I like Appice more then you do, but I agree the man has no swing. You can hear it when those old Black Sabbath tunes are played by Appice as opposed to Ward. Cozy Powell had a bit a swing in his drummer, and with Appice the songs just sound plodden, at least IMO.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 10:19 am

corplhicks wrote:

I can understand this. I wonder if they would have benefited from Carmine's playing.

That would of been a trainwreck too (IMHDO)

Cozy was the better fit after Ward, even though he was only on those Iommi solo albums.

What I'm looking forward to (with all the sarcasm I can muster) is Carmine and Vinnie drum wars tour they mentioned on TMS. I know some folks here are 'Too Metal For That Metal Show". I enjoy it and if too many quit watching it, we won't have nothing. More viewers=more money and bigger/better things, are one would hope.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 10:31 am

James B. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Cozy was the better fit after Ward, even though he was only on those Iommi solo albums.

What I'm looking forward to (with all the sarcasm I can muster) is Carmine and Vinnie drum wars tour they mentioned on TMS.  I know some folks here are 'Too Metal For That Metal Show". I enjoy it and if too many quit watching it, we won't have nothing.  More viewers=more money and bigger/better things, are one would hope.

The show has improved a great deal this year and I have actually being enjoying more then I have in the past.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 2:44 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
I like all sabbath, but I'd have to say: ozzy/iommi/butler/ward.

I have the same Opinion. headbanger

Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 3 BLACK-SABBATH-original-19-007
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Quote :

You've found a forum here so, brother. Loads of cats here know their metal (way more than I ever will), and you get to hear about tons of bands you might not of heard of.  I've picked up about twenty bands to my cd collection since joining here, I would not of otherwise heard of. Its a great community. Where you from, matey - I'm from Dunlaoghaire, south co Dublin, Ireland.  

Im from North Platte Nebraska which is right in the middle of the state. I alreay got 1 cd on its way because of this forum.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 5:24 pm

bass63 wrote:
Quote :

You've found a forum here so, brother. Loads of cats here know their metal (way more than I ever will), and you get to hear about tons of bands you might not of heard of.  I've picked up about twenty bands to my cd collection since joining here, I would not of otherwise heard of. Its a great community. Where you from, matey - I'm from Dunlaoghaire, south co Dublin, Ireland.  

Im from North Platte Nebraska which is right in the middle of the state. I alreay got 1 cd on its way because of this forum.

this forum will cause you to spend $$$. I sending my cd bills to Toho and SD later this month.

corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 11:38 pm

manny wrote:
James B. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

What I'm looking forward to (with all the sarcasm I can muster) is Carmine and Vinnie drum wars tour they mentioned on TMS.  I know some folks here are 'Too Metal For That Metal Show". I enjoy it and if too many quit watching it, we won't have nothing.  More viewers=more money and bigger/better things, are one would hope.

The show has improved a great deal this year and I have actually being enjoying more then I have in the past.

Always been a fine show, though Don Jamieson is a douche. Otherwise, they have their hearts in the right places and are going for the lighthouse effect, which I can appreciate. I would say this show deserves little to no flak.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 2:31 pm

exact33 wrote:
bass63 wrote:
Quote :

this forum will cause you to spend $$$. I sending my cd bills to Toho and SD later this month.

That's what I do with my time is listen to music all day. I had a stroke last year that set me back in life. So I not working. But I'm letting Rock n Roll heal my soul       headbanger Dio Cool happy
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 4:34 pm

bass63 wrote:
exact33 wrote:
bass63 wrote:
Quote :

That's what I do with my time is listen to music all day. I had a stroke last year that set me back in life. So I not working. But I'm letting Rock n Roll heal my soul       headbanger Dio Cool happy

Exactly what I would do. headbanger Here's to recovery through music! cheers Oh and I never said welcome, so welcome to the gutter; we weren't expecting YOU! \'arry \'eadbanger 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Version of Black Sabbath
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3