Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Version of Black Sabbath

Go down 
+25
nevermore
Leatherface
Witchfinder
journeyman
Boris2008
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
manny
BearOnUnicycle
mc666
SAHB Healer
corplhicks
Dark Horseman
exact33
Lari
candlemass
ultmetal
brokentulsa
akeldama
Sword Of The Heretic
Shawn Of Fire
MetallicSeminarian
bass63
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 8:57 am

Diiii-O! Diiiii-O! Diiiii-O!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 10:07 am

Ozzy, then Dio, then all the rest.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 1:31 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Ozzy, then Dio, then all the rest.

All that needs to be said.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 2:18 pm

I'm glad I brought up a topic that sparks your interest     headbanger
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 2:22 pm

We have this discussion at least once a quarter. It's in the rules.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 2:23 pm

Just blasting dehumanizer today. What an underrated, killer album!
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 11:30 am

Ozzy
Dio
Gillan
Gillen
Martin

Born Again is my favorite Black Sabbath album, but it's impossible to really compare against Ozzy or Dio since there was only one album. Collectively Ozzy takes it with Dio a very close second and most of that opinion is based on Heaven & Hell. I pretty much only listen to the first 11 studio releases and all the rest get occasional spins at best. 13 has renewed my interest in Black Sabbath in a big way.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 12:05 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:

Love that album!   Dio    headbanger
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 12:10 pm

My fave Black Sabbath album.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 12:26 pm

I guess it would be:

Ozzy then Dio then Gillan then Gillen and then Martin.

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 1:12 pm

Dehumanizer is a good record with some really strong songs, but I don't think it's near the level of quality they achieved on Heaven And Hell and to a slightly lesser degree on Mob Rules.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 3:25 pm

Ozzy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 3:31 pm

S.D. wrote:
Dehumanizer is a good record with some really strong songs, but I don't think it's near the level of quality they achieved on Heaven And Hell and to a slightly lesser degree on Mob Rules.  

Agreed, but still a great album. My favorite Ozzy lead album?...... Never Say Die
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 5:28 pm

bass63 wrote:

After hearing H&H and Mob Rules countless times, I have to say I prefer Dehumanizer to them either. 2nd favorite of mine it might be, actually.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 6:34 pm

Ozzy/Iommi/Butler/Ward
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 12:07 pm

bass63 wrote:
Hey folks I'm new here so if this subjects been covered before I'm sorry.

What version of Black Sabbath is your favorite? For me it is the Iommi, Butler, Dio, Appice version. As you guys & gals respond I'll tell you why I like that version best....

Wow, now that is a risk thread, brother. Fair play to you for having the bollocks to start a thread like that. If I had done that it would have ended in mayhem laughing 

One, much as I'd love to go with your line up, as I utterly love Dio, the King of rock and roll who enabled Sabbath to do things musically that would not have been possible under Ozzy, I have to go with Ward, Butler, Godfather and Ozzy for the sheer reason that they (that line up) invented metal and influenced literally thousands of metal bands. Heaven & Hell also saw metal move in a more progressive direction when Ronnie put a growl to the vocal that went in hand in hand with the melodic standard metal vocal at the time - he took it to new levels; and seems only real talent can play our music, other singers quickly copied this style, AND I AM NOW waffling and going way off whatever it was I was talking about Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 82702 

Welcome to the forum, brother - I began my apprenticeship here last November, its a great forum.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 12:10 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
bass63 wrote:

After hearing H&H and Mob Rules countless times, I have to say I prefer Dehumanizer to them either. 2nd favorite of mine it might be, actually.

Sir, you jest. If nay you jest then I challenge you to a duel Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 395375 

Utter blasphemy, a duel, Sir Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 395375 
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 12:14 pm

bass63 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Agreed, but still a great album. My favorite Ozzy lead album?...... Never Say Die

It was a cobbled together effort by Iommi and Dio - neither were exactly flavour of the month at the time when that was thrown together in 1991 or so, wasn't it? I bought that record and thought it was at best: average.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 3:12 pm

JEFF FENHOLT!!!! TR00 KVLT SABBATH \m/

Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 3:15 pm

We all know that if Ozzy leaves again, the only choice for sabbath would be to reunite with Ice-T.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Why is it that when people are talking about favorite Sabbath singers, poor old Bill never gets a mention?

Oh yeah! Forget I asked! Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 4:31 pm

Chrome Locust wrote:
bass63 wrote:
Hey folks I'm new here so if this subjects been covered before I'm sorry.

What version of Black Sabbath is your favorite? For me it is the Iommi, Butler, Dio, Appice version. As you guys & gals respond I'll tell you why I like that version best....

Wow, now that is a risk thread, brother.  Fair play to you for having the bollocks to start a thread like that. If I had done that it would have ended in mayhem laughing 

One, much as I'd love to go with your line up, as I utterly love Dio, the King of rock and roll who enabled Sabbath to do things musically that would not have been possible under Ozzy, I have to go with Ward, Butler, Godfather and Ozzy for the sheer reason that they (that line up) invented metal and influenced literally thousands of metal bands.  Heaven & Hell also saw metal move in a more progressive direction when Ronnie put a growl to the vocal that went in hand in hand with the melodic standard metal vocal at the time - he took it to new levels; and seems only real talent can play our music, other singers quickly copied this style, AND I AM NOW waffling and going way off whatever it was I was talking about  Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 82702 

Welcome to the forum, brother - I began my apprenticeship here last November, its a great forum.    
Thanks I love talking music with anybody. I love my music man.     
 Dio  Dio RULES    Dio
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 4:41 pm

70's Sabbath for me.

I like Dio's approach but Appice's drumming ruined it for the most part.

Tony Martin fronted line-up are Iommi solo albums as far as I'm concerned

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 4:43 pm

I'm curious as to why Appice is generally looked down on as the unwanted member of the band.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 4:57 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I'm curious as to why Appice is generally looked down on as the unwanted member of the band.

Boring, predictable, no swing, and playing behind/following the band is lame in my book, especially in regards to Sabbath. Ward was just as an integral ingredient as any of the other 3 original members to Sabbath's unique sound. Even though Sabbath is a metal band, IMHDO they fail with the traditional metal drummer playing with them.

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Version of Black Sabbath   Favorite Version of Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Version of Black Sabbath
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next