Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sabbath Poll

Go down 
+28
ElectricEye93
journeyman
SAHB Healer
DevZor
SpectreFate
metalinmyveins
tohostudios
Lari
80s Metal Lady
thejokeriv
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
MetallicSeminarian
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
Spiner202
TheGreatDuck
Addy
BearOnUnicycle
manny
mc666
MoonChild
Boris2008
candlemass
Orion Crystal Ice
Wurthless
corplhicks
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Which is your favorite Sabbath album?
Black Sabbath
Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap16%Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 16% [ 6 ]
Paranoid
Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap18%Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 18% [ 7 ]
Master of Reality
Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap24%Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 24% [ 9 ]
Vol. 4
Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 5 ]
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 5 ]
Sabotage
Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap16%Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 16% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 38

AuthorMessage
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 3:14 pm

We need some more votes for sabotage! Come on, you can't go wrong with "hole in the sky" or "symptom of the universe!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 3:37 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
We need some more votes for sabotage! Come on, you can't go wrong with "hole in the sky" or "symptom of the universe!"
..or Megalomania or The Writ.  

I could easily have picked any of the first 6 albums as my favorite depending on what mood I'm in that day.

As far as the Ozzy/Dio thing, the band with Ozzy were bona fide originators, so unique that no subsequent lineup regardless of how great they were (and the Dio lineup was great) are anywhere near as important in the overall history of the music.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 4:09 pm

Which I understand and I have so much respect for them and enjoy those albums but Dio era is the one I personally like best.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 5:51 pm

Vol. 4 for sympathetic reasons and also because I really like it.  It is solid. It was one of the first albums I ever had.  I got it at a thrift store on 8-track. 

I remember the handles on my dresser sounded like some of the sounds in the song "FX" when I lifted them and let them "knock."  I would try to mimic the song with them.  It's one of those albums that brings back a lot of childhood memories.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 6:15 pm

Favourite is Heaven and Hell, but for some reason there's only six options? H&H is in my top ten albums of all time by any band ever, for sure.

If we're talking greatest Sabbath album (which you specifically said we weren't), then I'd go with the debut. Or Paranoid. Either one is a good choice. The debut was ground breaking and had that "holy shit what am I listening to?" factor in it. Paranoid took it to another level, improved and enhanced the music, had more focused (and commercial) songs, and most importantly had the SOUND. That thick, heavy metal guitar sound. It wasn't as unique though.

So... in my summary I think Paranoid is my favourite Ozzy era album, though the first six are all awesome, but since my absolute favourite (Heaven and Hell) is not listed, I'll just take this poll as a "greatest" Sabbath record vote and place my vote on the debut.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Lari wrote:
Favourite is Heaven and Hell

Same here.

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 6:29 pm

I believe the point of this poll was "original" Black Sabbath, I'm assuming the OP decided to leave off Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die because he figured nobody would vote for those.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 6:32 pm

Same here. Which is what makes this poll quite difficult. Wink

EDIT: Messed up here. I was referring to S.D.'s earlier quote: "I could easily have picked any of the first 6 albums as my favorite depending on what mood I'm in that day."

Last edited by corplhicks on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 7:00 pm

It would be "Vol. 4" for me. A decade ago, I probably wouldn't even have given this album the time of day, as it was way too mature of an album for me to appreciate. In many ways my love for this album mirrors that of let's say a Led Zeppelin III, another mature record.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 7:07 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
It would be "Vol. 4" for me. A decade ago, I probably wouldn't even have given this album the time of day, as it was way too mature of an album for me to appreciate. In many ways my love for this album mirrors that of let's say a Led Zeppelin III, another mature record.
I like vol 4 quite a bit (almost voted for it), and III is easily my favorite Zep album.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 7:19 pm

I left off Tech and Die as well as later eras not because I thought no one would vote for them but because I wanted to focus on the most successful albums of Sabbath's career. The first six represent their strongest attributes as a band and also were a consistent force of songwriting. Most of us can agree that Tech and Die, while both being decent albums, were somewhat of a shadow of decay in the Sabbath catalog.

In other words, the first six albums were all equally masterpieces, which is why it's interesting to explore everyone's favorite in that group. Just look at the numbers so far; it could easily end up being a six-way tie.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 7:44 pm

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath for me, but if I were asked when I was a teenager I would have said SBS sucked. I didn't quite understand it at that point.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 8:12 pm

Mad  Aaargh!!! Can't decide Mad
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 8:40 pm

It's like trying to pick a favorite child! (actually, it's more like having to admit that you have a favorite child!)
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 1:44 am

Sabotage and Sabbath Bloody are not only 1 & 2 on this list, but 1 & 2 of any albums by any artist at any time for me.
Vol 4 is also a top 10, and the first three no longer contenders only because I played them absolutely to death back when, so I obviously loved them as well. I consider them sort of like teddy bears with the ears and eyes worn off. Sometimes those old albums make a comeback as has happened with Machine Head, these are from the days when I only owned maybe 25 albums so it was easy to wear them out.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 2:01 am

Old albums CAN have that effect. For instance, Number of the Beast was one of my worn out teddy bears back in the day, but recently I pulled it out and it just felt fresh and new to me. I was headbanging like a fifteen-year-old in denim and patches. Same with Zepplelin. Pulled out my worn vinyl of IV that I hadn't heard since the late 90's and it was pure magic. As for Sabbath, I'm always revisiting those albums at least a couple times a year. I should give them some time so I can revisit them with that same feeling.

In any case, you have a great analogy there. cheers
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 10:27 am

I went with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath with Sabotage next. Hard to pick since I really like all of the Ozzy era.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 12:59 pm

Just thought I'd post an example of this shadow of decay!

Funny, cause it sounds flipping brilliant to these ears Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 1:01 pm

Never Say Die especially is a great, mature record but tends to get lambasted because it doesn't sound like Master Of Reality Part 2.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 1:55 pm

Again, they weren't bad albums, IMO they were decent and, contextually, highly experimental. By "shadow of decay" I mean that one could tell the band was falling apart because the songs were so disjointed and erratic in trying for different styles. The tension in NSD is more than noticeable, which in fact contributes to the moodiness of the record. Regardless, things got a little awkward there. The first six albums would progressively become more experimental but not as abrupt as the last two. And again, the first six albums were solid, full of airtight compositions and continuity in style. They were all equally great albums, which is why it's so difficult to choose the best one.

I'll say it again: no Sabbath album is a bad Sabbath album, at least in my mind.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 2:19 pm

I just think that both albums get a unfairly bad rep (I much prefer TE myself) I also love keyboards with the original Sabbath line up.

I do get where you are coming from though, to be honest, I'll defend all of the Ozzy/Dio Sabbath records as they are all great! (not the two live offerings though)

Last edited by Boris2008 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 2:22 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I just think that both albums get a unfairly bad rep (I much prefer TE myself) I also love keyboards with the original Sabbath line up.

I do get where you are coming from though, too be honest, I'll defend all of the Ozzy/Dio Sabbath records as they are all great! (not the two live offerings though)

And rightfully so you should. Those two albums do get a lot of unfair criticism because, as SD said, they just don't sound, shall we say, "Sabbath-y." I say whatever to the critics, 'cause they do rock. cheers

As for the live albums, it's just like Roth-era VH; when in God's name are we gonna get a decent live album?!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 3:05 pm

You want a great Black Sabbath live album?  Search for "Asbury Park, 1975", it's a bootleg soundboard recording from the Sabotage tour.  3 songs made it onto the "Past Lives" release but they should have just reissued the full concert.  

Killing Yourself To Live
Hole In The Sky
Snowblind
Symptom Of The Universe
War Pigs
Megalomania
Sabbra Cadabra (a 20-minute extended jam)
Supernaut
Iron Man
Iommi Improvisation (including an early jam on the Rock 'N' Roll Doctor riff)
Black Sabbath
Spiral Architect
Children Of The Grave
Paranoid
Back to top Go down
ElectricEye93
Metal novice
Metal novice
ElectricEye93

Number of posts : 53

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 3:57 pm

Screw it, I'l do all of em'

1. Master of Reality
2. Black Sabbath
3. Paranoid (might be 2 or 1 if I wasn't a bit tired of it)
4. Sabotage
5. Vol. 4
6. 13
7. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
8. Never Say Die
9. Technical Ecstasy
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 4:16 pm

Oh btw Corplhicks. If I ever form my own doom metal band (which I won't) I'm stealing 'Shadow of Decay'Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sabbath Poll   Sabbath Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sabbath Poll
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next