Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

KISS or SABBATH poll

Go down 
+14
manny
Big Rich
tohostudios
Troublezone
nevermore
Wrecked Neck
Required Fields
James B.
Gilbert
Leatherface
glassprison
Lari
Glower
18 posters

You wanted the best
KISS ( plus any solo releases )
KISS or SABBATH poll Vote_lcap22%KISS or SABBATH poll Vote_rcap
 22% [ 6 ]
Black Sabbath ( plus Ozzy solo releases )
KISS or SABBATH poll Vote_lcap78%KISS or SABBATH poll Vote_rcap
 78% [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 27

AuthorMessage
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

KISS or SABBATH poll Empty
PostSubject: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 8:45 am

I remember reading Kiss opened for Sabbath.
Ozzy was amazed all the girls in line outside hotel rooms for Kiss.
No girls were outside the Sabbath hotel rooms.
But who was the best band !
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 8:49 am

I don't think KISS will do well in this poll. Cultural impact etc, maybe. When it comes to music, I don't find it particularly close. And I do enjoy KISS every now and then.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 9:21 am

I like KISS more than Sabbath, but I concede that Sabbath is objectively a better band.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 9:28 am

Sabbath
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 9:36 am

Sabbath.

I still enjoy Kiss from time to time and have recently regained some interest in them. As a matter of fact, i purchased Music From The Elder on cd last weekend.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 9:39 am

Lari wrote:
I don't think KISS will do well in this poll. Cultural impact etc, maybe. When it comes to music, I don't find it particularly close. And I do enjoy KISS every now and then.

Despite owning a fair number of Kiss cds in my collection, i always thought of them as being a best of kind of bands.

All you'd really need would be a couple of good compilations and that should do.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 9:50 am

Don't get the inclusion of solo releases? Plenty of music through the decades by each band to compare. So I am strictly doing band vs band.

So does best band mean recorded output, onstage, musicianship, or who you personally like better?

70's recorded output goes to Sabbath 70's onstage goes to KISS, the 2 DIO fronted albums pretty much blow all 80's KISS out of the water, though I'll take CREATURES & LICK IT UP over the rest of the 80's Sabbath.

Don't care for any Sabbath in the 90's or beyond. Then and KISS were both chasing their own tails by the mid to late 90's. I do enjoy UNPLUGGED from KISS, but after the REUNION TOUR, they pretty much sucked onstage and on record.

All of this is...(IMHDO), of course. And after all fuss above, I can't get past that only the 70's really matter in the impact each band had on music respectively.

I like them pretty much the same, everything balances out.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 11:25 am

KISS for me. If course, Sabbath is no slouch either.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 1:26 pm

Black Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 1:37 pm

God, I thought this was some sort of joke, but it's real? Kiss is terrible, and doesn't even compare to Sabbath. Like someone said above, kiss can be summed up in a best of compilation, most of their music is crap. This is coming from someone that used to worship Kiss. First concert I went to was Kiss. Listening to them these days is a chore though. Their good songs are really good, but most of them are filler.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 4:45 pm

I love both bands. But KISS gets my vote.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 4:54 pm

Are you kidding?

Sabbath!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 5:15 pm

if we're defining "better band" by musicianship then obviously Sabbath is light years ahead of Kiss.  But you know what?  I like a lot more songs by Kiss than I do songs by Sabbath.  So if "better band" means who's music do you enjoy more then it's easily Kiss for me.

Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2020 10:36 am

Sabbath is better but I probably listen to KISS more. Especially early KISS.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2020 7:24 am

I love both bands and I am a fan of all eras of both bands career, but to this is easy, Black Sabbath
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2020 7:42 am

Kiss for me.
I like both bands but I've been a Kiss fan way longer than I've been into Sabbath, so sentiment wins out.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
oldschooldoom
Metal novice
Metal novice
oldschooldoom

Number of posts : 80

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2020 3:58 pm

Black Sabbath is metal, this is a metal forum. DUH
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2020 8:34 pm

I thought this would be a tough call, but about 10 seconds later I chose Sabbath. Five different lead vocalists and I've enjoyed them all and that says a lot for me. I usually hate when bands change their vocalist. I think 70's stuff is pretty even for me, but I prefer Sabbath in the 80's and 90's is sort of a wash.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2020 11:01 pm

Black Sabbath are better musicians, obviously. Plus, they had Tony Martin behind the mic headbanger headbanger headbanger.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2020 8:00 pm

When I was a teenager I would have said Kiss. Now I have to go with Sabbath!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2020 8:23 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
I thought this would be a tough call, but about 10 seconds later I chose Sabbath. Five different lead vocalists and I've enjoyed them all and that says a lot for me. I usually hate when bands change their vocalist. I think 70's stuff is pretty even for me, but I prefer Sabbath in the 80's and 90's is sort of a wash.

That's a good thought actually. The Kiss I really like is all from the 70s; once you get beyond that it's pretty meh. Sabbath is the other way round for me; the Ozzy-era stuff is pretty blah to me (mainly because I find Ozzy's voice very irritating) but after that - and especially with Dio - I would have to take Sabbath over the Kiss albums during the same time period.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2020 3:02 pm

tohostudios wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:

That's a good thought actually.  The Kiss I really like is all from the 70s; once you get beyond that it's pretty meh.  Sabbath is the other way round for me; the Ozzy-era stuff is pretty blah to me (mainly because I find Ozzy's voice very irritating) but after that - and especially with Dio - I would have to take Sabbath over the Kiss albums during the same time period.

If I did a side by side comparison of discographies:

Heaven & Hell vs Unmasked/The Elder
Mob Rules vs Creatures of the Night
Born Again vs Lick It Up
Seventh Star vs Animalize
The Eternal Idol vs Asylum
Headless Cross vs Crazy Nights/Hot In the Shade

Since there was more productivity involving KISS that decade, one can't match album for album, but I think I did this correctly, as Unmasked/The Elder get lumped together since they were the maligned albums, with either disheartened or soon to be ex-members. Crazy Nights/Hot In the Shade get lumped together, because they seemed pretty uninspiring towards the end of the decade for the band.

Given these matchups, I'm going with Black Sabbath 5-1, maybe 4-2. I love Creatures of the Night, so it probably edges out Mob Rules, even though it might be on par with Heaven & Hell. The Headless Cross and Asylum are pretty close for me as well, but probably would go with Headless Cross barely. The other matchups would be blowouts for me.

This isn't even adding the Ozzy factor into the mix. If you do that, I think it's not even close.

Last edited by metalinmyveins on Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2020 6:59 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:

That's a good thought actually.  The Kiss I really like is all from the 70s; once you get beyond that it's pretty meh.  Sabbath is the other way round for me; the Ozzy-era stuff is pretty blah to me (mainly because I find Ozzy's voice very irritating) but after that - and especially with Dio - I would have to take Sabbath over the Kiss albums during the same time period.

If I did a side by side comparison of discographies:

Heaven & Hell vs Unmasked/The Elder
Mob Rules vs Creatures of the Night
Born Again vs Lick It Up
Seventh Star vs Animalize
The Eternal Idol vs Asylum

This isn't even adding the Ozzy factor into the mix. If you do that, I think it's not even close.
Headless Cross vs Crazy Nights/Hot In the Shade

Since there was more productivity involving KISS that decade, one can't match album for album, but I think I did this correctly, as Unmasked/The Elder get lumped together since they were the maligned albums, with either disheartened or soon to be ex-members. Crazy Nights/Hot In the Shade get lumped together, because they seemed pretty uninspiring towards the end of the decade for the band.

Given these matchups, I'm going with Black Sabbath 5-1, maybe 4-2. I love Creatures of the Night, so it probably edges out Mob Rules, even though it might be on par with Heaven & Hell. The Eternal Idol and Asylum are pretty close for me as well, but probably would go with The Eternal Idol barely. The other matchups would be blowouts for me.

Wow, you put way more thought into this than I did. headbanger

And I agree with your assessments. But those early Kiss albums still win the poll for me because I really only like a select few of the early Sabbath songs much less entire albums. Doom/Sludge metal just isn't my thing. And then there's Ozzy's voice... Very Happy

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2020 4:31 pm

Having thought more about this, I'm not sure KISS or even their most die-hard fans would be keen to argue that they are "better" than other bands, especially those of Sabbath's caliber. Rather, they just find ways to stand apart from other bands via their image, marketing, fan base, etc. Comparison is almost a moot point at the end of the day.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2020 7:09 am

Thanks everyone for voting !
I’m a big KISS fan - but I feel the pale in comparison to Sabbath.
Even Ozzy solo albums - compared to Ace’s outpouring of cover tunes.
KISS were good but they were NOT the best.
Sabbath and Ozzy are endlessly interesting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KISS or SABBATH poll   KISS or SABBATH poll Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KISS or SABBATH poll
Page 1 of 1