Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How we discover and listen to metal music

Go down 
+13
jettafiend
Shawn Of Fire
Witchfinder
kmorg
BearOnUnicycle
EmoElmo
SAHB Healer
corplhicks
Dark Horseman
James B.
Boris2008
SpectreFate
Alex Dee Rokket
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

How we discover and listen to metal music - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How we discover and listen to metal music   How we discover and listen to metal music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 5:56 pm

How do you guys feel about the large quantity of albums released these days vs the amount of time realistically available to not only discover but actually listening to music?

Even to this day I am still catching up to more obscure bands from the 80s. I try to buy albums from every era rather than focusing on just today's albums.

This is why I say that for me buying 50 newly released albums during the year is about the amount of time and attention I can dedicate to new albums. Of course I can always revisit a past year later on and collect more albums from that particular year but I am talking about while the year is current.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: How we discover and listen to metal music   How we discover and listen to metal music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 6:00 pm

kmorg wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:

So yeah...thank goodness for the Internet...Discovering music is now a breeze Cool I'm not gonna lie, I download (or steal) FLAC/320kbps rips out there with cover/inlay arts from a Russian site....because it's too impossible for me to acquire those physical copies from where I live

Acquiring physical copies from where you live is just as easy as stealing them. Both can be done online!

Exactly! Downloading music that you didn't buy is the same thing as walking into a store and walking out with CD's you didn't pay for
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: How we discover and listen to metal music   How we discover and listen to metal music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 6:18 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
kmorg wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:

So yeah...thank goodness for the Internet...Discovering music is now a breeze Cool I'm not gonna lie, I download (or steal) FLAC/320kbps rips out there with cover/inlay arts from a Russian site....because it's too impossible for me to acquire those physical copies from where I live

Acquiring physical copies from where you live is just as easy as stealing them. Both can be done online!

Exactly! Downloading music that you didn't buy is the same thing as walking into a store and walking out with CD's you didn't pay for

Tell that to the authorities How we discover and listen to metal music - Page 2 499945
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How we discover and listen to metal music   How we discover and listen to metal music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 6:19 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
How do you guys feel about the large quantity of albums released these days vs the amount of time realistically available to not only discover but actually listening to music?

Doesn't really bother me because I'm insanely picky about what I like. I can listen to songs from 20 different bands in the same general subgenre and maybe 1 will click with me. In the grand scheme of things I buy much less now than I did 20 years ago and still feel satisfied.

Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: How we discover and listen to metal music   How we discover and listen to metal music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 7:12 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

Even to this day I am still catching up to more obscure bands from the 80s. I try to buy albums from every era rather than focusing on just today's albums.

This is why I say that for me buying 50 newly released albums during the year is about the amount of time and attention I can dedicate to new albums. Of course I can always revisit a past year later on and collect more albums from that particular year but I am talking about while the year is current.

It doesn't bother me any more than hanging with Rick James at the China Club in 1983 would bother a cokehead.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: How we discover and listen to metal music   How we discover and listen to metal music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 7:16 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

It doesn't bother me any more than hanging with Rick James at the China Club in 1983 would bother a cokehead.

Maybe I am just developing a degree of OCD about this lol something about owning 50 albums for every year starting with 1980 lol
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: How we discover and listen to metal music   How we discover and listen to metal music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 8:07 pm

To expand further on ADR's original question....the little sticker on the corner of the album that gave popular musical magazines (of the era) rating , sounds like (this band) or for fans of (that band). Did it make ya wanna buy the album ?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: How we discover and listen to metal music   How we discover and listen to metal music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 8:19 pm

James B. wrote:
To expand further on ADR's original question....the little sticker on the corner of the album that gave popular musical magazines (of the era) rating , sounds like (this band) or for fans of (that band). Did it make ya wanna buy the album ?

Actually yes - in fact I experienced this as recently as 2004 (?) when at the time Nile's Annihilation of the Wicked was released. The sticker said something like "recommended for fans of Morbid Angel, Atheist and Death". I knew Nile at the time but I hadn't listened to them in a very long time. Around that time I was getting more into older Morbid Angel and Atheist and I thought "what if...". So I picked up that Nile album without having heard a single note of it ... took it home, placed it in my CD player and I was totally blown away! It was so damn catchy and basically just as the sticker had described.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: How we discover and listen to metal music   How we discover and listen to metal music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 8:23 pm

James B. wrote:

Yes, especially in the mid eighties, I pretty much bought all of my music based on comments like that, well that and Metal Forces magazine. Later on, the tape trading scene meant that I rarely bought a record before hearing the band.

I do miss those days and that way of discovering music, but tbh, life is a lot busier these days and i wouldn't have time to go to that much effort just to hear a band.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: How we discover and listen to metal music   How we discover and listen to metal music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 8:30 pm

To put a slight spin on the nostalgic feeling of discovering music in the 80s ...

There are now distros like Shadow Kingdom and Rockadrome that in some way attempt to fill the void of that feeling people had when discovering bands in the 80s. It's not the same but what these sites do is cater for the older more obscure bands that didn't get much press in the 80s or ever since. For me whenever I visit those sites I feel like I'm back in a music store, and you never know what you're going to find - whether you are impressed by an album cover or are looking for something specific - I always know I will walk away with something in the cart from those sites.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: How we discover and listen to metal music   How we discover and listen to metal music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 9:01 pm

Rise Above Records have captured some of the excitement that I had for MFN, Roadrunner, Steamhammer and Noise Records back in the 80's, their output has been so consistent that I always give their new bands a listen.

I haven't done that in years!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How we discover and listen to metal music   How we discover and listen to metal music - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How we discover and listen to metal music
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2