Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.  Empty
PostSubject: Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.    Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.  Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 11:31 am

Toby Driver & co just released the teaser trailer for their new album.

Quote :
This is a teaser trailer for the upcoming 95-minute Kayo Dot album, HUBARDO. These clips are UNMASTERED, which means that the final version of the recordings will be louder and clearer. Please listen to this mix as loud as possible and on good speakers to get all the details and low end.

We're still running a pre-order for this album over at kayodot.bigcartel.com
We need to raise a lot more money in order to pay for mastering and manufacturing (about 200 copies), so please don't hesitate to preorder now, and share this widget, so that we can get the album out in time for our tenth anniversary in Autumn 2013. Thanks for your support!

Soundcloud Link

It's definitely got some of maudlin of the Well's sound in it this time around; the first that's been evident since Choirs of the Eye. I can't wait!

For people that haven't heard anything from either band, here's a few samples.

Probably a bit weird, or "out there" for a lot of people here, but a few people might enjoy them.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.    Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.  Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 11:47 am

If anyone here enjoys progressive metal, the first 3 maudlin of the Well albums are completely, completely, completely essential. 'Leaving Your Body Map' is INCREDIBLE. I don't care if you have hangups on growling vocals, don't like horns, whatever your issue may be. \'arry \'eadbanger

I got a little weary of Kayo Dot after the first two because they actually seemed to stuck in a formula, and it wasn't a very interesting one...but I'll listen to the clip.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.    Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.  Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 12:56 pm

I personally like all of maudlin of the Well's stuff, and I enjoy almost all of Kayo Dot's stuff to varying degrees.

This new album seems promising with the more obvious extreme metal influence back in the fold. At times on the past few records, it seemed as if they were just trying to weird for the sake of being weird. That's my only gripe with Kayo Dot, really.

The teaser is really diverse and it sounds like it's got potential to be one of my favorites of the year, if Toby made all of this stuff work cohesively.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.    Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.  Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 2:19 pm

It wasn't really weird or progressive to me though, it was just some kind of amalgam of indie rock/chamber music with little direction.. I didn't care if there was metal or not as long as it was good. But, just proof any band can get stuck in a rut. The side projects (Tartar Lamb and so on) didn't do much for me either.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.    Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.  Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 2:38 pm

I liked the first Tartar Lamb album, never listened to the second one.

I understand what you're saying with "little direction" though, the compositions have a tendency to meander quite a bit (especially on Blue Lambency Downward). I'm listening to Coyote right now though, and I gotta say, I really like the atmosphere it has. Really slow, and heavy on the bass and brass/woodwinds.

I don't know how you feel about chamber music, but that genre can be really interesting when pulled off well.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.    Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.  Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 3:21 pm

Yep, there are a lot of examples of good stuff there. Actually let me recommend to you this record: 'Light Upon Light' by Wadada Leo Smith. It's in the Composer series on Tzadik, same as the first Kayo Dot. He's a veteran trumpeter and bandleader who comes from a jazz and blues background into some extremely avant-garde, creative music. That particular record has a lot of chamber classical in it and some quirky things here and there like spoken word in the third track. It's a really amazing record, not too many soundbytes online but there are some clips of two pieces on this page (scroll down):

http://www.wadadaleosmith.com/pages/l_upon_l.html

It doesn't really begin to kind of clue you in to the whole of the record, though.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.    Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.  Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 3:49 pm

Thanks! I'm gonna look into that. It's somewhat cheap on amazon, I might snag it.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.    Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.  Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 8:03 pm

Ok, from the trailer.... this isn't as ughhh as some of the others but there are parts which are still mulling about in "that Kayo Dot chord that Toby moans over" land. I really dig the part where the drums go into these fills and there's the piano crescendos and such in ... I think the second song of the preview. Would like more interesting stuff like that. I'd really prefer to stream a full song or two with a record like this, ultimately.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.    Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.  Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 8:29 pm

I don't know if anyone cares, but I've jammed this one 3 or 4 times now, and I'm really impressed with it overall. As usual though, it's very dense, so I expect it to grow on me over the next couple of weeks.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.    Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kayo Dot -- new album, "Hubardo" to be released this fall.
Page 1 of 1