Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rock of Ages

Go down 
+9
Citanul
manny
Required Fields
Thrasher73
Boris2008
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
SpectreFate
corplhicks
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Rock of Ages - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Rock of Ages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 3:51 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
I've been told from many sources that the musical itself is nowhere near the level of hyperactivity and tastelessness that carried over to the adaptation. What I did expect was an appropriate homage to the rock and metal of the 1980's, nothing more. Instead it was a poorly executed and erroneous slice of camp and bad taste. What seals this for me is that the filmmakers put this package together in absolute sincerity and earnest. Had John Waters directed it, I would've understood the intentions and gone with it, but this movie was made with the intention of catharsis, no matter how goofy they had to be to get there. Good Broadway does not do this. It's either satire or its not, and Rock of Ages couldn't make up its mind.

EDIT: forgot to say about the OTT performances; I don't mind OTT when it's done with some level of artistic method such as choreography. This was nothing but jumping about aimlessly. I guess the one scene that stuck out for me to say this is the Hit Me With Your Best Shot sequence in the church. After seeing Zeta in the wonderful Chicago, this was a shock. There was choreography, but it was amateur night. All they could do was wiggle and writhe around like a bunch of preschoolers, all to end with Zeta pole dancing a doorway endlessly while making funny faces.

A good example of where tongue-in-cheek works is Hairspray. Not this movie.

Fair enough. Don't have a stroke. It's just a bad movie. Wink

LOL the funny thing is I've never gotten so worked up over a movie I didn't like! Not even Michael Bay's work. I think part of me hates to see such a good era for music get raped with such naivete. K I'm off to take my Metoprolol now... Wink
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Rock of Ages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 4:44 pm

But teh audience wouldn't accept it with million$ of dollar$ if it dared treat heavy music of that decade in a favorable, non-parody light. \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Rock of Ages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
But teh audience wouldn't accept it with million$ of dollar$ if it dared treat heavy music of that decade in a favorable, non-parody light. \'arry \'eadbanger
You're right. My friend's dad, who graduated HS in the early 80's, loved it because it was so ridiculous. Oddly enough, he said to me--with firm absolution in his voice--that bands like Foreigner, Journey, and Quarterflash were the "heavy metal of the day for kids like us."

What. The. Shocked .
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Rock of Ages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 1:57 am

corplhicks wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
You're right. My friend's dad, who graduated HS in the early 80's, loved it because it was so ridiculous. Oddly enough, he said to me--with firm absolution in his voice--that bands like Foreigner, Journey, and Quarterflash were the "heavy metal of the day for kids like us."

What. The. Shocked .

Guess he had never heard of Black Sabbath, UFO, Ozzy or Judas Priest?

Quarterflash was always a pop band(albeit, one that I really liked).
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Rock of Ages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 8:48 am

corplhicks wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

What. The. Shocked .

I know Foreigner was consider metal by a few clueless journalist, and I would go as far as to say they had influence on the pop metal scene ( songs aimed for radio play, ballads etc) but even during metal's commerical heyday I never heard any of those three bands being called heavy metal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Rock of Ages - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rock of Ages
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2