Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord

Go down 
+8
Shawn Of Fire
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Dark Horseman
manny
Fat Freddy
Lazlo Toth
brokentulsa
12 posters
AuthorMessage
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Empty
PostSubject: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 11:53 pm

Here is one of the first rerecord releases...

Back to top Go down
Lazlo Toth
Metal novice
Metal novice
Lazlo Toth

Number of posts : 25

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 9:08 am

Sounds OK. I'm not sure what the guys are trying to prove.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 9:10 am

Lazlo Toth wrote:
Sounds OK. I'm not sure what the guys are trying to prove.

From what I understand, their back catalog is tied up in red tape with their former record company and isn't available through most online music retailers (iTunes, etc.) so they're "re-recording" their greatest hits to release digitally.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 9:11 am

They are only re-recording them so they can keep more of the money by licensing these versions to movies, games , etc then the original versions released thru Polygram/Mercury label
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 12:14 pm

It makes sense to me. I know how it happens but it seems crazy that artists can't control their own music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 12:34 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
It makes sense to me. I know how it happens but it seems crazy that artists can't control their own music.

The issue here is access to the original "recordings" (master tapes, etc) which are owned by the record label. Very few bands own their own masters.

The labels can essentially charge whatever they want for licensing them.

Jeff Lynne from E.L.O. is doing the same thing, re-recording some of their biggest hits for use in movies, TV and commercials...because he is unable to get access to the original versions at a decent price.

I forsee that re-recordings will increase.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 3:00 pm

Yep, it's going to happen.

Ok, in that video is it just me or do the drums sound triggered? Like really badly done?
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 4:18 pm

The whole point of these re-recordings is for what everyone else has said, because of their old record label. Also the band wanted to re-record these songs and make them sound almost identicle to their originals. They aren't trying to update the sound of these songs, they just want to be able to use these songs for itunes etc... and who wants to download a re-recorded version that will most likely sound like crap when bands try and do things like this. I actually like they they are doing it this way. I can't see them making these songs better than they were so why try.

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 4:27 pm

That's the approach Jeff Lynne took on the ELO re-recordings as well, he's attempting to duplicate the original, not enhance it.

It's a shame artists are forced into this route, but I can understand it.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 8:25 am

Foreigner has done the same thing. As far as I know Def Lep is one of the few bands whose original songs are not on iTunes. Styx, Foreigner, Loverboy, Journey, Kiss etc. have all re-recorded hits to own rights to those particular recordings to not have to deal with the record companies. However the bands above have the originals and re-treads for sale on iTunes. Still no AC/DC on iTunes either.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 9:09 am

mikeinfla wrote:
Foreigner has done the same thing. As far as I know Def Lep is one of the few bands whose original songs are not on iTunes. Styx, Foreigner, Loverboy, Journey, Kiss etc. have all re-recorded hits to own rights to those particular recordings to not have to deal with the record companies. However the bands above have the originals and re-treads for sale on iTunes. Still no AC/DC on iTunes either.

AC/DC do not want their albums looked at just a random collection of songs but as part of an album, so that is why they have so far refused, its also another reason no Greatest Hits set have been released despite desparte pleas from their various record labels. Those guys own their own masters.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 9:31 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
Ok, in that video is it just me or do the drums sound triggered? Like really badly done?

Def Leppard has used nothing but triggered drums on recordings since Pyromania...

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 12:22 pm

I know but the sound quality here, and my ear isn't finely tuned, sounds really bad. Like they put it through and old casio keyboard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 6:19 pm

manny wrote:

AC/DC do not want their albums looked at just a random collection of songs but as part of an album, so that is why they have so far refused, its also another reason no Greatest Hits set have been released despite desparte pleas from their various record labels. Those guys own their own masters.

King Crimson as well, Fripp bought back all their masters in the 90s and he refuses to deal with any online stores.

Tool, Bob Seger, The Smiths and Garth Brooks are some other artists who declined to sell their music in non-physical formats.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 6:27 pm

In a way i find this is disrespectful to any now-deceased artists who originally performed on these songs (in this case steve clark), since these may end up becoming the "definitive" versions (or the most widely available version), therefore destroying any legacy the deceased artist had via these songs.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 10:17 am

manny wrote:
mikeinfla wrote:

On the point of AC/DC greatest hits - not until recently. What about the Iron Man 2 soundtrack? I don't believe there are any original songs on there.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 3:25 pm

I found it refreshingly honest when Joe Elliott came right out and said they're doing it for the money. Most bands try to spin it around and make it sound like they're doing it for far more noble reasons. It's for "for the fans" or "we have better technology now", blah, blah, blah. Not Joe.

He just gets right to the point. If someone's gonna make money off of their recordings, it should be the band. Right on.

Quote :
Tool, Bob Seger, The Smiths and Garth Brooks are some other artists who declined to sell their music in non-physical formats.

So did the Beatles and Pink Floyd. They'll all cave eventually. They just haven't been presented with the right offer yet.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Quote :
So did the Beatles and Pink Floyd. They'll all cave eventually. They just haven't been presented with the right offer yet.

...or they'll all be dead, and their next of kin will be more than happy to cut the digital deals on their behalf.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6330

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 5:49 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I know but the sound quality here, and my ear isn't finely tuned, sounds really bad. Like they put it through and old casio keyboard.
I thought it sounded good. They were going for the vintage sound. I'd call that a success.

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

On the point of AC/DC greatest hits - not until recently. What about the Iron Man 2 soundtrack? I don't believe there are any original songs on there.
I just looked at the tracklist for Iron Man 2... how could a greatest hit compilation not have the biggest hit the band ever recorded? But I guess if you combine Iron Man 2 and Who Made Who, you do sort of get an AC/DC "best of" compilation.

Anyway, back to Def Lep. Like metalguy mentioned earlier in this thread, it is sort of admirable to re-record old stuff and honestly say you're doing it for the money. Admirable in a "I admit I did pay that homeless man to blow me" kind of way. It's good you're being honest, but it's not something we necessarily like hearing. It's especially awkward if you volunteer that kind of information without someone even asking.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 6:55 pm

The songs on the Iron Man 2 soundtrack were chosen by the producers of the film, as possible tracks for use in the movie (some were used, some weren't). So it's not a greatest hits collection, it's just all the songs the producers licensed for possible inclusion.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord   Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Def Leppard Rock of Ages rerecord
Page 1 of 1