Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Seven Ages Of Rock!

Go down 
+5
Smindas
spiritoradio
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Wargod
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Seven Ages Of Rock! Empty
PostSubject: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 7:53 pm

Has anyone been watching this? Started mon and is basically a history of how it started, first episode has Stones, The Who, Cream, Kinks, Mamas & Papas........

It is a 7 part series on VH1 classics!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 8:02 pm

Huh...never even seen mention of it. But they'll replay it nine gazillion times, so I should be able to check it out. Right on!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37636

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 8:06 pm

Shoot! I wanted to start recording this when it started on Monday night but forgot all about it. Dang.

But like Eyesore sez, they'll probably re-run it a gazillion times so I'll have to keep an eye on the listings. More than likely once the initial run is done, they'll run all the episodes on a Saturday or Sunday in a marathon.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 9:29 pm

I've been recording it, but I haven't watched any yet. I think the "metal" episode is Thursday.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 12:10 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Shoot! I wanted to start recording this when it started on Monday night but forgot all about it. Dang.

But like Eyesore sez, they'll probably re-run it a gazillion times so I'll have to keep an eye on the listings. More than likely once the initial run is done, they'll run all the episodes on a Saturday or Sunday in a marathon.

They re-run each episode before the next one, like tomorrow is the third episode which starts at 8pm central, but they replay episode one and two before it, so it initially starts at 6pm central. I'm pretty sure this will be the pattern until it ends.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 6:13 am

I'm pretty sure they played this over here a couple of months ago - does yours have British voice overs or did they redub it? It's a good show, I especially enjoyed the episodes about prog-rock and metal.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 10:34 am

Ive been recording it too, I just finished the first one. It is fitting that they emphasized The Who and Cream. But no Beatles scratch. anyhoo, I like watching these things VH1 does but they always only talk about the popular bands and rarely any of the underground bands that helped shape rock. Still, it is cool to watch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 10:42 am

I would like to see just one VH1 Documentary without Rolling Stone magazine's David Fricke as an "expert". That guy believes his views are the be all end all.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 8:42 am

I caught the last half of last night's episode (Punk Rock) of "Seven Ages of Rock," it was pretty cool. The Ramones were well represented (YAY!), as were the Clash, the Sex Pistols, etc. Lookin' forward to seeing tonight's chapter on Heavy Metal! 🤘

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 8:44 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I caught the last half of last night's episode (Punk Rock) of "Seven Ages of Rock," it was pretty cool. The Ramones were well represented (YAY!), as were the Clash, the Sex Pistols, etc. Lookin' forward to seeing tonight's chapter on Heavy Metal! 🤘

FF did you see the Ramones 2 hour special on VH1 Classic last night? I almost called and told you, but then I realized I don't know you that well. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 8:49 am

spectrefate wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

FF did you see the Ramones 2 hour special on VH1 Classic last night? I almost called and told you, but then I realized I don't know you that well. Smile

Shoot, no I didn't. Was it on after "Seven Ages?"

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 8:53 am

I think it was. I didn't watch the Seven Ages show. It was Ramones Raw, you probably have seen the DVD.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 8:55 am

spectrefate wrote:
I think it was. I didn't watch the Seven Ages show. It was Ramones Raw, you probably have seen the DVD.

Ahh, OK, yes, I have that DVD. Phew! I was about to start pounding my head on my desk like "Dammit dammit dammit DAMMIT!"

Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 10:03 am

it was a bbc programme that aired on a sunday i think in and around july. the heavy metal episode feautres black sabbath heavily and has interviews with none other than tony iommi
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 10:31 am

I saw this on last night. I opted for a movie instead (saw Wonderland with Val Kilmer on the Independent Movie channel). I want to see these though ... tonight is the metal one .. hmmm.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 11:14 am

blackieboy wrote:
I saw this on last night. I opted for a movie instead (saw Wonderland with Val Kilmer on the Independent Movie channel). I want to see these though ... tonight is the metal one .. hmmm.

The wife and I watched Wonderland last night too on IFC. Kooky.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 11:52 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
blackieboy wrote:

lol!

Yeah - that's a good word for it. I can't really say that I liked it, but it was a good watch. Worth seeing once. It's also a true story, and I find stuff like that interesting. That guy John Holmes was kinda messed up heheh.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 12:16 pm

blackieboy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
blackieboy wrote:

lol!

Yeah - that's a good word for it. I can't really say that I liked it, but it was a good watch. Worth seeing once. It's also a true story, and I find stuff like that interesting. That guy John Holmes was kinda messed up heheh.

I liked it. My wife swore she never saw it before, but I know I rented it when it first came out on dvd and we watched it together. And yea, Holmes was a train-wreck. Val Kilmer playing him was taking some real Hollywood liberties there. The real Johnny Wadd may have had a giant schween, but he was not a very good looking guy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 3:39 pm

I want to see it. Thankfully VH1 Classic can always be counted on to replay the programs to death, so I'll try to catch some of the episodes when I can.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 2:48 pm

VH1 Classic ran three episodes of the show back to back (the punk rock one, the metal one, and I believe the "Stadium Rock" one) so I recorded them all... now all I have to do is find some uninterrupted time to watch them!!

By the way, I believe that all seven episodes are available for viewing on-demand at VH1 Classic's web site as well.

Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 3:00 pm

Episode 4 is Heavy Metal with Sabbath, Deep Purple, Priest, Iron Maiden all essential in the birth of heavy metal IMO.

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 3:46 pm

Wargod48 wrote:
Episode 4 is Heavy Metal with Sabbath, Deep Purple, Priest, Iron Maiden all essential in the birth of heavy metal IMO.

Wargod48

i already said that
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 6:47 am

The Art rock one was ok, without the Pink Floyd stuff it was kinda boring. The Punk episode was hard to watch the whole thing. I dig the beginnings of Punk, the rawness and attitude, but it does get old after 15 minutes. And Patty Smith? Ive never seen the reason why she was popular, kind of a Allanis Morrisette-on qualludes-thing going on there....

The Metal episode was cool, pretty much the same stuff ive seen on every other metal history documentary. With Metallica, there was too much emphasis on The Black Album and not enough on Ride The Lightning(the album maybe the most responisble for changing the metal scene forever). just my $.02.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 9:43 am

VH1 Classic's showing 6 of the 7 today. I have no excuse not to see it now. Very Happy

(well, with the exception of the Memphis-Georgetown game....)
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 7:30 pm

I've watched a bit of it. Honestly, I think it's kinda boring. Which really surprised me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seven Ages Of Rock!   Seven Ages Of Rock! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seven Ages Of Rock!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next