Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How important is track order to you?

Go down 
+18
SpectreFate
thejokeriv
jettafiend
Required Fields
Witchfinder
journeyman
ultmetal
Eyesore
Fat Freddy
metalheaded
manny
MetalGuy71
Boris2008
DevZor
corplhicks
MetallicSeminarian
Hadley
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 9:55 pm

Never thought of it before. I burn the CD to wav and from there they either get added to iTunes and/or ssd/flash depending on purpose. Wav files don't carry any info with them so I set the metadata. In the case of wasp I just deleted the song since I didn't like it to begin with. In most cases I follow the listing on the CD. I'm usually on a band trip, so I cycle through their albums (hence the reason for flash drives). I carry anywhere from 5 to 10 flash drives dedicated to a band, which is easier while driving. I travel a lot and most rentals handle USB, and I don't feel so bad when I go off and leave it in the car.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:06 pm

journeyman wrote:
Never thought of it before. I burn the CD to wav and from there they either get added to iTunes and/or ssd/flash depending on purpose. Wav files don't carry any info with them so I set the metadata. In the case of wasp I just deleted the song since I didn't like it to begin with. In most cases I follow the listing on the CD. I'm usually on a band trip, so I cycle through their albums (hence the reason for flash drives). I carry anywhere from 5 to 10 flash drives dedicated to a band, which is easier while driving. I travel a lot and most rentals handle USB, and I don't feel so bad when I go off and leave it in the car.

I'm just curious why wav instead of mp3 or AAC? Wav's are huge files that take up some serious space.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:14 pm

They sound better and flac usually needs an encoder.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:21 pm

Track order on an album is a lost art. Many bands will screw up their track order and front or back load an album with the good tracks, which means you either only listen to the first couple of tracks and that's it, or you never get to the good material if the album is back loaded. I blame the CD which totally did away with the concept of album sides and changed the track order dynamic. Pre-cd albums usually have a much better flow to them. So yes, track order matters very much to the enjoyment of an album.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:25 pm

It depends on the album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:30 pm

journeyman wrote:

Ahhhh, you go for quality over quantity. Good man.

Witchfinder wrote:
Track order on an album is a lost art. Many bands will screw up their track order and front or back load an album with the good tracks, which means you either only listen to the first couple of tracks and that's it, or you never get to the good material if the album is back loaded. I blame the CD which totally did away with the concept of album sides and changed the track order dynamic. Pre-cd albums usually have a much better flow to them. So yes, track order matters very much to the enjoyment of an album.

Spot-on. I really miss having a side 1 and a side 2.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Hadley wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
How about when a ballad comes too early? One example is Iced Earth, Something Wicked. Technically it's not a ballad, but Melancholy being the second track after such a pummeling starter is just too abrupt a change early on. Great song, and I understand it being a concept album may vindicate this choice, but I would have preferred it later it on.

Stryper did this too, can't remember if it was Devil or Yellow Black. Can't remember the song. Stryper was a looooong time ago for me. Except for Against the Law but that's beside the point.

The second track on yellow and black attack is "From Wrong to Right" which isnt a ballad but it is significantly lighter than "Loud N Clear".

I always thought that l'n'c and from wrong to right was a great one two punch to kick off YABA. At least on the original mix (that I have thx to cliffy) from Erin to right crunches along nicely. I haven't listened to the neutered 86 mix in a long time though, so it might come off less rockin there.

And I don't think I'll ever outgrow stryper. It's not something I listen too all the time but stryper will always have a special place in my cd collection. They have aged well too (as performers the records are as 80's as it gets Razz), and sound as vital and energetic today as they ever have. In fact I think they sound better now than in there heyday, even if the new material isn't as strong as before.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:38 pm

DevZor wrote:
Hadley wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
How about when a ballad comes too early? One example is Iced Earth, Something Wicked. Technically it's not a ballad, but Melancholy being the second track after such a pummeling starter is just too abrupt a change early on. Great song, and I understand it being a concept album may vindicate this choice, but I would have preferred it later it on.

Stryper did this too, can't remember if it was Devil or Yellow Black. Can't remember the song. Stryper was a looooong time ago for me. Except for Against the Law but that's beside the point.

The second track on yellow and black attack is "From Wrong to Right" which isnt a ballad but it is significantly lighter than "Loud N Clear".

I always thought that l'n'c and from wrong to right was a great one two punch to kick off YABA. At least on the original mix (that I have thx to cliffy) from Erin to right crunches along nicely. I haven't listened to the neutered 86 mix in a long time though, so it might come off less rockin there.

And I don't think I'll ever outgrow stryper. It's not something I listen too all the time but stryper will always have a special place in my cd collection. They have aged well too (as performers the records are as 80's as it gets Razz), and sound as vital and energetic today as they ever have. In fact I think they sound better now than in there heyday, even if the new material isn't as strong as before.

Okay, I'm all mixed up and had to go listen to track samples. I'm thinking of Devil, the track "Calling on You." Just a strange contrast to To Hell with the Devil.

I totally understand Stryper fans, but it was just bad timing for me to be introduced to them. At the time, my favorite album was Taking Over (Overkill). My mom was trying to get me on a Christian music kick, and she got all these Stryper tapes from an old church friend (he was praying for me). So you can imagine this angry fifteen-year-old going from Overkill to Stryper...forget it. I thought they were the pussiest band around until I found Against the Law on tape. For the record, Soldiers Under Command was their best glam-era CD.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:39 pm

journeyman wrote:

If you already use iTunes then I recommend going with Apple Lossless (Alac), same sound quality as .wav, much smaller and can handle metadata.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:41 pm

corplhicks wrote:
DevZor wrote:
Hadley wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Okay, I'm all mixed up and had to go listen to track samples. I'm thinking of Devil, the track "Calling on You." Just a strange contrast to To Hell with the Devil.

I totally understand Stryper fans, but it was just bad timing for me to be introduced to them. At the time, my favorite album was Taking Over (Overkill). My mom was trying to get me on a Christian music kick, and she got all these Stryper tapes from an old church friend (he was praying for me). So you can imagine this angry fifteen-year-old going from Overkill to Stryper...forget it. I thought they were the pussiest band around until I found Against the Law on tape. For the record, Soldiers Under Command was their best glam-era CD.

I've always found both soldiers and against the law superior to to hell with the devil. In fact, I've probably listened to in God we trust more than to hell with the devil.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:47 pm

Hell with the Devil was a weird, weird platter. production and lyrically it was just cheap to me. I remember thinking, "To Hell with the Devil? F*ck you! Deny the Cross (deny the crawwwws)!!!!!" Total anarchy blah blah.

Also, clean singers with minimal rasp or edge to their voice have never been my pint of stout.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 11:24 pm

Lol, I understand. Moms are sweet but clueless aren't they. I always laugh when I hear abou people trying to turn metalheads who are into the super heavy stuff onto Christian music with stryper. Apples to super heavy, hella aggressive oranges people!!! Razz
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 11:29 pm

DevZor wrote:
Lol, I understand. Moms are sweet but clueless aren't they. I always laugh when I hear abou people trying to turn metalheads who are into the super heavy stuff onto Christian music with stryper. Apples to super heavy, hella aggressive oranges people!!! Razz

Yeah it was around then I started getting into the more extreme genres. Thanks to mum. lol!
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 11:42 pm

All this talk of stryper got me to pull out and spin my soldiers lp. To bring things back on topic, that album pretty much has the quintessential lp track list going on. Metallic 1-2 punch, then good mid pace song, a ballad, then a mean (for stryper lol) rocker to finish the side. Good stuff, I love the guitar sound on this album. Though I think micheal sounds better on these songs now that he sings in a slightly lower register.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 12:10 am

Witchfinder wrote:

I agree with this as well.

Sequencing is very important, when done properly it can take a collection of songs and merge them together into a unified artistic whole.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 1:27 am

Sequencing. That's the word we should have been using.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 4:30 am

Seeing as how I usually start out with a bands Greatest Hits, before diving in further, the chronological is almost a must for me. On the plus side, you get to hear how a band changes their sound and evolves, which I love. The history and what went in to the albums at the time they were written is pretty cool back info.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 11:28 am

jettafiend wrote:
Seeing as how I usually start out with a bands Greatest Hits, before diving in further, the chronological is almost a must for me. On the plus side, you get to hear how a band changes their sound and evolves, which I love. The history and what went in to the albums at the time they were written is pretty cool back info.

+1. I remember the first time I did that with Priest. It was cool, hearing all the gradual nuances take shape and the lead work evolving. Also it made Screaming for Vengeance sound as heavy as a Death album.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 11:34 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
unless an album is reissued or re-released with the tracks in a different order than I'm "used" to.

Just thought of another example of this: when Snapper Music remastered the first W.A.S.P. album years back, they stuck "Animal (F**k Like A Beast)" at the top of the running order so that it's now the first song on the album.

I understand that "Animal" was originally intended to be the album's leadoff track till the record label demanded it be cut from the record altogether...so in that regard, I guess it does "belong" there...but dammit, I've been hearing "I Wanna Be Somebody" in the lead-off spot on that album for 20+ years, so when I put that remastered CD on and it starts off with "Animal," it just doesn't sound "right" to me.

Does anyone else ever have this experience or am I just too O.C.D. for my own good?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 11:36 am

Also, when it comes to track order, I rarely listen to the bonus tracks on the end of a reissue at the same time I listen to the album. I prefer to stop the album where it originally stopped.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 12:03 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
unless an album is reissued or re-released with the tracks in a different order than I'm "used" to.

Just thought of another example of this: when Snapper Music remastered the first W.A.S.P. album years back, they stuck "Animal (F**k Like A Beast)" at the top of the running order so that it's now the first song on the album.

I understand that "Animal" was originally intended to be the album's leadoff track till the record label demanded it be cut from the record altogether...so in that regard, I guess it does "belong" there...but dammit, I've been hearing "I Wanna Be Somebody" in the lead-off spot on that album for 20+ years, so when I put that remastered CD on and it starts off with "Animal," it just doesn't sound "right" to me.

Does anyone else ever have this experience or am I just too O.C.D. for my own good?

Nope, you are not alone. I'm trying to remember a cassette I had that had all the tracks in the wrong order. Drove me batty and I threw it away.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 12:05 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Nah, it's not supposed to be the lead off track!!!!
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 1:12 pm

The cassette tape of Sanctuary's Refuge Denied has Die For My Sins as the second track. I played the shit out of that tape only to upgrade to CD and see that the second track is Termination Force.
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 2:25 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

See my previous contribution a few posts above. Exact same issue.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 2:30 pm

metalheaded wrote:

See my previous contribution a few posts above. Exact same issue.

D'oh! Totally missed your post about the W.A.S.P. album... I guess great minds think alike... Haha

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How important is track order to you?   How important is track order to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How important is track order to you?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next