Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal's Most Important Instrument

Go down 
+19
sam
James B.
Thrasher73
mc666
MoonChild
TheGooch
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
brontotex
caniplaywithmadness?
scottmitchell74
ghost
MetalRob331
GrandNational
Vordul
7thSecond
Troublezone
rattpoison
DallasBlack
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Metal's Most Important Insturment
Guitars
Metal's Most Important Instrument Vote_lcap61%Metal's Most Important Instrument Vote_rcap
 61% [ 19 ]
Bass
Metal's Most Important Instrument Vote_lcap0%Metal's Most Important Instrument Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Drums
Metal's Most Important Instrument Vote_lcap10%Metal's Most Important Instrument Vote_rcap
 10% [ 3 ]
Vocals (in a way they are an instrument)
Metal's Most Important Instrument Vote_lcap29%Metal's Most Important Instrument Vote_rcap
 29% [ 9 ]
Keyboards
Metal's Most Important Instrument Vote_lcap0%Metal's Most Important Instrument Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 31

AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Metal's Most Important Instrument Empty
PostSubject: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 1:12 am

IYO, what is the most important instrument in metal? Obviously all are important, but if you had to choose which one would you pick and why?

While drums are very important, they don't necessarily need to be mind blowing drummers to get the job done.

Keyboards, no self respecting metal head would ever pick this one. While I like keys, they are most definatly not necessary for metal. If tomarrow, all keys were taken out of metal, I'd be disappointed, but I would survive.

Bass, while bass is sort of the often overlooked backbone of the music, apart from certain bands (i.e. Maiden, Sabbath, Overkill, Mortification, etc.) I barely notice the bass playing that much.

Vocals, while I am a vocalist and love to sing I still can't say that this is the important instrument (and yes a vocalist's voice is his instrument). That is why there are so many good instrumentals in metal.

This leaves the guitar which IMO is the most important instrument in metal. The guitar is what drew me into the world of metal. From rhythm to lead I love the guitar most of all (I wish I would have had patience and learned to play it). A guitarist can make or break a band for me. For the most part I love solos and unless I hear some decent solos I usually don't like it which is what turns me off of a lot of nu-metal and modern metal bands (the only exception I can think of is Fear Factory which is not nu). While I love to sing, I love to do air guitar even more. Guitar rulz!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 1:19 am

The Triangle
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 1:23 am

Vocals. Unless we're discussing an instrumental band, of course. But if you have a bad vocalist, or one that can't write a good melody, you might as well have nothing at all.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 1:25 am

I don't know with some of this new stuff coming out, maybe the keyboards. Laughing Guitars always!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 2:17 am

Eyesore wrote:
Vocals. Unless we're discussing an instrumental band, of course. But if you have a bad vocalist, or one that can't write a good melody, you might as well have nothing at all.

Quite a valid point. Vocals are definatly my second choice. That being said, in death, black, and thrash the vocalist doesn't necessarily have to have melody, range, or perfect pitch.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 665

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 2:28 am

Definitely the vocalist. This is no-brainer for me, though the rest can definitely either enhance the music or detract from it.
Back to top Go down
Vordul
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Vordul

Number of posts : 322

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 3:32 am

Oboe Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 3:38 am

I voted for drums. Everytime I hear metal music, that's the first thing that I concentrate on.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 4:30 am

Vocalist of course, when the music is killer and ur waiting to hear the singer and he just blows u, that is such a great feeling.
Back to top Go down
Vordul
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Vordul

Number of posts : 322

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 4:46 am

scratch blows u scratch
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 4:46 am

For me it is the guitar.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 7:45 am

I voted for vocalist 'cause yeah, a crappy vocalist can ruin otherwise great tunes.

Guitar is close, though. One man and a guitar combining forces can stand alone and make great music. However, as much as we all love bass and drums I've never heard many bass or drum solo albums or bass and vocals or drums and vocals albums.

All the instruments are integral but the vocalist/guitar rule - imo.
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am

vocals can make or break a band for me. a bad vocalist or a vocalist that doesn't fit with the band can totally kill it, even if the musics cool

in flames for example
Back to top Go down
brontotex
brontotex

Number of posts : 446

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 7:56 am

Any one is worthless without the others. So, none of the above.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 8:18 am

It's hard to pick only one. Metal is basically guitar driven, but without a quality rhythm section behind that guitar and a vocalist that works with the music, it's worthless. I guess being in a band for nearly half my life, I see how vital each member is to a band and how each can affect a band's sound.

ult

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 8:49 am

Vocals. The best riff ever written can be ruined by Ozzy Osbourne.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37652

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 8:50 am

COWBELL!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 11:03 am

the guitar. thats what heavy metal is about: the power of the riff!!!
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 12:48 pm

"Let there be sound", and there was sound
"Let there be light", and there was light
"Let there be drums", and there was drums
"Let there be guitars", and there was guitars
"Let there be rock
"

I guess that explains it all...... as much I love drums and bass, I believe the guitar is what makes metal metal...... but my vote for VOCALS, since a bad (unsuiting) vocals can be a major turn down, howmuchever good other play.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 1:20 pm

GrandNational wrote:
I voted for drums. Everytime I hear metal music, that's the first thing that I concentrate on.
same here. it controls the whole speed of the song.

Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 3:08 pm

I voted Guitar.Without the distortion of guitars its not metal.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12622

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 3:26 pm

instruments are integral but mean nothing without a good song. I know alot of players who are great players and can't write a song for the life of them. For example... you have Holy Rite... good musicians...average singer...weak songs. They form a band without the singer called "Iron Wrath" good musicians...better singer... a lil better songs.
Then the singer joins up with a song writer and forms Final Axe. Better songs with above average musicians...still a better overall product.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 3:28 pm

drums are important as well i feel as they add intensity to the guitar
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 4:46 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
...and he just blows u, that is such a great feeling.
Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 4:56 pm

Flute - if you ask the Grammy's people.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal's Most Important Instrument   Metal's Most Important Instrument Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal's Most Important Instrument
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next