Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is the EP overtaking the album?

Go down 
+14
journeyman
tul
Fat Freddy
nevermore
Shawn Of Fire
corplhicks
jstate
Dark Horseman
manny
thejokeriv
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
DevZor
kmorg
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Is the EP overtaking the album? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is the EP overtaking the album?   Is the EP overtaking the album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 2:22 pm

I'm reading a book right now that points to the Beatles Sgt. Pepper as the first BIG album that was sold/promoted as a whole album, not just a collection of singles. Other bands starting picking up on that and the trend continued into the 70's with bands like Zep & Floyd that avoided the singles market as best they could.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Is the EP overtaking the album?   Is the EP overtaking the album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 2:39 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm reading a book right now that points to the Beatles Sgt. Pepper as the first BIG album that was sold/promoted as a whole album, not just a collection of singles. Other bands starting picking up on that and the trend continued into the 70's with bands like Zep & Floyd that avoided the singles market as best they could.

That's the album I would have pointed to as well...The Beatles did everything first. \'arry \'eadbanger

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Is the EP overtaking the album?   Is the EP overtaking the album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 3:00 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

That's the album I would have pointed to as well...The Beatles did everything first. \'arry \'eadbanger

I would too I would give that honor to 'Rubber Soul' which inspired artist as diverse as The Doors, Pink Floyd, Jefferson Airplane, Jimi Hendrix, and even their old rivals The Rolling Stones.

The Beatles of course where influenced by Bob Dylan who treated albums as far back as 1962 (Freewheelin' Bob Dylan) as not just a random collection of songs but as an album with a unified musical theme.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Is the EP overtaking the album?   Is the EP overtaking the album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 3:05 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Pretty much. Laughing

As I understand it, they tried with Rubber Soul and Revolver too, but they still had touring commitments and couldn't spend as much time in the studio as they wanted. By the time writing started for Sgt. Pepper, they stopped touring and just spent all their time in the studio. They also had enough power by that time to tell the record company to go scratch while they worked.

I can't imagine that format (no touring, endless studio time, no singles) would fly too well today, but it will happen someday in some fashion and the artists will take back control, releasing and profiting from their music.

PostSubject: Re: Is the EP overtaking the album?   Is the EP overtaking the album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 3:34 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

That applies to rock & pop music but other genres were already thinking in terms of albums in the late 50s. As soon as the 12-inch LP became common jazz artists starting putting together focused "albums" that were designed to be listened to all the way through to create a thematic whole. This was a genre that (rarely) released singles at all, so it was definitely an LP form of music.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Is the EP overtaking the album?   Is the EP overtaking the album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 3:47 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I can't imagine that format (no touring, endless studio time, no singles) would fly too well today, but it will happen someday in some fashion and the artists will take back control, releasing and profiting from their music.

They actually still recorded singles too...they just released them apart from the album. Many of The Beatles' singles are not on any albums.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Is the EP overtaking the album?   Is the EP overtaking the album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 4:12 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

They actually still recorded singles too...they just released them apart from the album. Many of The Beatles' singles are not on any albums.

Oh yea, of course. They recorded and released singles all throughout their career. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't want to, but the record company said otherwise. I was just saying that they thought of Sgt. Pepper as a full album, not just a collection of singles.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Is the EP overtaking the album?   Is the EP overtaking the album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 4:25 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Oh yea, of course. They recorded and released singles all throughout their career. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't want to, but the record company said otherwise. I was just saying that they thought of Sgt. Pepper as a full album, not just a collection of singles.

Right.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Is the EP overtaking the album?   Is the EP overtaking the album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 4:51 pm

And that is where I think the difference lies in what I predict for the future. In the past, and up to the present, singles and ep's have existed alongside the albums. But I think the ep's will take over, and albums will be somewhat gone.

PostSubject: Re: Is the EP overtaking the album?   Is the EP overtaking the album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 4:56 pm

If you look at current trends the biggest increase in sales is from digital singles. Sales of full-length albums continue to decrease and I don't see EPs filling that gap either.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Is the EP overtaking the album?   Is the EP overtaking the album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 10:54 pm

I don't see the majority of the metal scene gravitating towards EPs anytime soon.

Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Is the EP overtaking the album?   Is the EP overtaking the album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 1:40 am

IQ's also continue to decrease, major coincidence there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the EP overtaking the album?   Is the EP overtaking the album? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is the EP overtaking the album?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3