Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

John Sykes & Thin Lizzy

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

John Sykes & Thin Lizzy Empty
PostSubject: John Sykes & Thin Lizzy   John Sykes & Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 8:05 am

Thought this was good question for Thin Lizzy fans to ponder:
Quote :
Ult,

I am here watching a documentary on
Phil Lynott (Portrait of a Rocker) and was wondering. What are your
feelings on John Sykes carrying on the Thin Lizzy name, even to this
day?

I kinda think if he was doing it just as a tribute to
Phil, then he would have started it right after Phil died. I guess I
may question his motives at this point. But then, Scott Gorham is
working on it with him so maybe Sykes is sincere in tribute.

Thoughts?

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes & Thin Lizzy   John Sykes & Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 8:08 am

Personally, I think it's cool that Sykes carries on the Thin Lizzy name, along with Scott Gorham. The music is great and deserves to be played. I saw this version of Thin Lizzy, and while they can never replace the original, it was still great to hear.

I don't think anyone would have, or could have done this right after Phil's death. Phil's passing affected a great many people. I could imagine it would have been really hard on any of the former members to go out and play those songs with heavy hearts.

Also, Sykes went on to do great things with Whitesnake after Thin Lizzy. Opportunity was there for him, so I can't see him wanting to do a tribute thing while he was still a major player.

As for Scott Gorham, he was still drying up from his severe drug abuse after the demise of Thin Lizzy. I think he needed the time away from the band to get his life back on track.

Those are some of my thoughts. Anyone else?

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes & Thin Lizzy   John Sykes & Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 8:19 am

I saw them, and Sykes "was" my fav guitarist for about 20 years prior
to that show. He was a total jerk and they played at about
20%. Regardless that they were playing to a couple hundred people
in the middle of Iowa, they completely disappointed me. The music
was tight and sounded good, but they did not want to be there.
Met Gorham and he was super cool. A guy named Eric Sardinas
opened that night, and you have all heard me rant about him ever since.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes & Thin Lizzy   John Sykes & Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 8:24 am

Saxon,
You got to meet Gorham, correct? Man, I'd love to meet him.

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes & Thin Lizzy   John Sykes & Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 8:28 am

I love John Sykes. I loved him when he got the shaft from David Coverdale and love him in Blue Murder. I just think that Thin Lizzy was too associated with Lynott. I have mixed feelings. But a Scott Gorham and John Sykes Thin Lizzy show? I'm there. Smile
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes & Thin Lizzy   John Sykes & Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 8:37 am

I saw the Gorham/Sykes version of Thin Lizzy opening for Deep Purple. It was a great show. DP played the entire "Machine Head" album.

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes & Thin Lizzy   John Sykes & Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 8:40 am

ultmetal wrote:
Personally, I think it's cool that Sykes carries on the Thin Lizzy name, along with Scott Gorham. The music is great and deserves to be played. I saw this version of Thin Lizzy, and while they can never replace the original, it was still great to hear.

I don't think anyone would have, or could have done this right after Phil's death. Phil's passing affected a great many people. I could imagine it would have been really hard on any of the former members to go out and play those songs with heavy hearts.

Also, Sykes went on to do great things with Whitesnake after Thin Lizzy. Opportunity was there for him, so I can't see him wanting to do a tribute thing while he was still a major player.

As for Scott Gorham, he was still drying up from his severe drug abuse after the demise of Thin Lizzy. I think he needed the time away from the band to get his life back on track.

Those are some of my thoughts. Anyone else?

You've just read my mind...exactly how i feel.Just to add that i also liked Gorham in "21 Guns" and Sykes in "Tygers".
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes & Thin Lizzy   John Sykes & Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 11:13 am

i fink its cool that sykes is doing a tribute to phil lynott. i saw them a little while ago and they put on a great show. 'black rose' was the highlight because sykes and gorham nailed it. it was cool to see scott gorham as well because those two are both amongst my favourite guitarists
Back to top Go down
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes & Thin Lizzy   John Sykes & Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 11:31 am

We (Hirax) played on the same day with TL in 2003 at the Bang Your Head Fest. Katon and myself got to hang with Scott G for about an hour... Great guy...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes & Thin Lizzy   John Sykes & Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 7:58 pm

I like Sykes so i have no problem with him carrying on with the band's name. And he is a pretty good singer.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes & Thin Lizzy   John Sykes & Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 1:22 am

Its an interesting topic, personally i'd love to see the Sykes/Gorham Thin Lizzy band because at the end of the day its about the songs and to see some of the guys that had a hand in those songs performing live would be something. I was meant to see them last year opening for Cheap Trick down in Oz but the tour got cancelled, lets just say I was shattered. A few people (mainly older fans) feel strongly against the use of the Thin Lizzy name and have that attitude of 'how dare they', but its great for fans like me who never got a chance to see the band originally. Its like the New York Dolls comeback with only 2 surviving members, i was lucky to see them this year and it was one of the most memorable gigs i've attended. And Saxon, Eric Sardinas is my fav blues guitarist from the last 10 years. Just a huge talent, and quite unique in his playing style.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes & Thin Lizzy   John Sykes & Thin Lizzy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

John Sykes & Thin Lizzy
Page 1 of 1