Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy

Go down 
+4
Glenn Rogers
A Handful of Wayne
ultmetal
manny
8 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy Empty
PostSubject: John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy   John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 3:28 pm

I really do not consider Thi Lizzy without Phil to be a legit Thin Lizzy but here is the band's statement:

Thin Lizzy have parted company with guitarist/vocalist John Sykes.

Thin Lizzy guitarist and mainstay, Scott Gorham, has issued the following statement:
“It’s been a very tough time of late for myself and the band, firstly with drummer Tommy Aldridge’s injury and now the subsequent decision for John and the rest of the group to go their separate ways.
“I can only apologise to everyone who has supported us over the years, but we will be back up to full speed soon.”
Scott Gorham intends to announce future plans for Thin Lizzy shortly. All Thin Lizzy shows confirmed for 2009 will be cancelled or postponed until further notice.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy   John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 3:45 pm

I saw the Sykes/Gorham version of Thin Lizzy and quite enjoyed them, but they will never truly be Thin Lizzy without Phil. However, I do think it's great that they are keeping the music alive.

It's unfortunate to hear that the band split. Perhaps Gorham can get Brian Downey and Brian Robertson back, or maybe do something with Gary Moore.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy   John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 8:06 pm

I never bothered to check this version of Lizzy out. Usually I dont mind when bands have line up changes but this one just seemed pointless to me.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy   John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 9:14 pm

AC/DC did it... Alice In Chains did it...Riot did it...I don't know? I say give them a chance.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy   John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 9:45 pm

Yea but those bands moved on and wrote new songs and put out new albums. That I can understand. But to tour and just play the older songs I dont get. Its nice and everything to do a tribute to the band but why not make it into a whole new band using a Thin Lizzy song as the bands name. Then they could build on that. That would make more sense to me. I dunno maybe if I was there age and in this situation I would do the same thing, but I would like the possibility of making new songs be there.

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy   John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 9:56 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I saw the Sykes/Gorham version of Thin Lizzy and quite enjoyed them, but they will never truly be Thin Lizzy without Phil. However, I do think it's great that they are keeping the music alive.

It's unfortunate to hear that the band split. Perhaps Gorham can get Brian Downey and Brian Robertson back, or maybe do something with Gary Moore.

Me too. Sykes, the human, blew my illusions out of the water as he turned out to be a total dick. But they were tight and enjoyable. This version of TL has never been anything more than a tribute to Phil, anyways. I am surprised they have let it live this many years, to be honest.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy   John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 2:46 am

Glenn Rogers wrote:
AC/DC did it... Alice In Chains did it...Riot did it...I don't know? I say give them a chance.

Yes true Glenn, but like Phoenix pointed out all these acts created new music, I have the Thin Lizzy album this line up recorded, which in all honesty is very good but I do wish they had written some new songs.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy   John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 4:33 am

manny wrote:
I really do not consider Thi Lizzy without Phil to be a legit Thin Lizzy but here is the band's statement:

Thin Lizzy have parted company with guitarist/vocalist John Sykes.

Thin Lizzy guitarist and mainstay, Scott Gorham, has issued the following statement:
“It’s been a very tough time of late for myself and the band, firstly with drummer Tommy Aldridge’s injury and now the subsequent decision for John and the rest of the group to go their separate ways.
“I can only apologise to everyone who has supported us over the years, but we will be back up to full speed soon.”
Scott Gorham intends to announce future plans for Thin Lizzy shortly. All Thin Lizzy shows confirmed for 2009 will be cancelled or postponed until further notice.

Chit that means they are canceling their Moondance Jam appearance then that sucks.

Wargod50
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy   John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 4:38 am

Sykes did a fantastic job of keeping the music alive but it was bound to end sooner or later.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy   John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 5:25 am

Getting together once for a tribute performance...I can see that. Continuing to play shows as Thin Lizzy when Lynott WAS THIN LIZZY...it's blasphemy.
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy   John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 6:04 am

Sykes is a talented guitarist though lol!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy   John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 6:09 am

Sykes should get Blue Murder back together.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy   John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 6:19 am

Troublezone wrote:
Sykes should get Blue Murder back together.

That sounds like a real recipe for financial disaster.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy   John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 7:03 am

UNCLE SAXON wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Me too. Sykes, the human, blew my illusions out of the water as he turned out to be a total dick. But they were tight and enjoyable. This version of TL has never been anything more than a tribute to Phil, anyways. I am surprised they have let it live this many years, to be honest.

I, too, got to see the Sykes/Gorham version of the band. I met Sykes and then bassist Marco Mendoza that night and both were very nice. Scott Gorham and Tommy Aldridge had a cab waiting for them in the parking lot and soon as the show was over they got off stage went straight to the cab and high tailed it out of there. Sykes and Mendoza stayed, signed stuff, took pics and hung out with fans for quite awhile.However, I'm glad they have kept Phil's music alive and would go see them again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy   John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 6:51 pm

nevermore wrote:
UNCLE SAXON wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I, too, got to see the Sykes/Gorham version of the band. I met Sykes and then bassist Marco Mendoza that night and both were very nice. Scott Gorham and Tommy Aldridge had a cab waiting for them in the parking lot and soon as the show was over they got off stage went straight to the cab and high tailed it out of there. Sykes and Mendoza stayed, signed stuff, took pics and hung out with fans for quite awhile.However, I'm glad they have kept Phil's music alive and would go see them again.

Wish I would have see THAT show. Just the opposite here. Sykes was on stage one sec [bitching about EVERYTHING - the lights, the sound....saying that the Surf was the worst place he had ever played in his whole life] - in the bus 6 seconds later. gorham stayed outside in 5 degrees and snow until every single person left. Sykes was my fav guitarist since Slide it in. That night a guy named Eric Sardinas opened for TL and took his place [ask anyone whom has seen my music room! haha].

But, yeah, dude is a mega-talent for sure.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy   John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 6:56 pm

It sucks when some of the best musicians turn out to be pricks. Makes you want to think twice about meeting them in person.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy   John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

John Sykes leaves Thin Lizzy
Page 1 of 1