Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Game of Thrones

Go down 
+7
Witchfinder
CRIMSONMASK
SideShowDisaSter
Sutekh
Boris2008
James B.
Addy
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 8:32 am

Anybody watch this on HBO or have read the books?

I'm really into this show right now because the new season has started. Im still reading the first book
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 2:19 pm

I've read all of the books and own the Blu-Ray sets of Season 1 and Season 2.

Getting ready to go on the road for work and will probably miss more than I can see of this season ans am gonna wait for the commercial release next year.

The books are well written and alot of surprises in them.

Dragons, Zombies, and Knights.....whats not to like

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 2:41 pm

I've watched all of the T.V series and have bought the first book but haven't got around to reading it yet.

The show was recommended to me by a particularly geeky friend and I didn't care for it much at first, my attitude was 'This is just Merlin with boobs and beheadings!' . Then I thought 'Hang on a minute, this is Merlin WITH BOOBS AND BEHEADINGS!!! Very Happy '

Of course, it turned out to be nothing like Merlin and it's a really well written, well made show with some fantastic actors, looking forward to this season.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 9:45 pm

I've seen season one and two and read the first couple of books. I'm surprised, given the complexity of the plot, just how easy to read the books actually are! I'm looking forward to reading more before starting season three.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 6:26 am

Im reading the first book almost half way through it, seen seasons 1 and 2 and the first 2 episodes of season 3. I cant wait till it really gets good. I think my favs are Arrya and Jon Snow i was locked to those 2 pretty quick

Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 8:35 am

I've got the first book, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Still haven't seen the show, though I've been meaning to pick up season one... Too much stuff, too little cash sometimes!

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
CRIMSONMASK

Number of posts : 349

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 9:50 am

James B. wrote:
I've read all of the books and own the Blu-Ray sets of Season 1 and Season 2.

Dragons, Zombies, and Knights.....whats not to like

and, as Boris mentioned-boobs & beheadings! \'arry \'eadbanger

Great TV series, great books

And, of course, this:(spoiler warning)
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 12:16 pm

I am watching the second season now and I enjoy it. George RR Martin needs a much stronger editor to reign him in. He's gone off the rails into minutia in the books, much like Stephen King since the 1980s.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 5:42 pm

This made me smile

Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 8:14 am

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
Too much stuff, too little cash sometimes!

Ha thats the story of my life

Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 8:15 am

Witchfinder wrote:
I am watching the second season now and I enjoy it. George RR Martin needs a much stronger editor to reign him in. He's gone off the rails into minutia in the books, much like Stephen King since the 1980s.

What intrigues and scares me is that he still has to write the last 2 books of the series
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 6:14 am

I'm a huge fan of the books, having read through them four times now, and I do enjoy the shows, although it's impossible for the show to capture the books.

I fear, based on his girth and age, what many of us fear, that he will die before he finishes and leave us all hanging!
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 4:20 pm

I sure hope you are wrong because the suspense is killing me
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 6:20 am

After last nights episode I gotta say Im starting to really like Daenareys
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 8:00 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I fear, based on his girth and age, what many of us fear, that he will die before he finishes and leave us all hanging!

Apparently he has the show's producers how he envisions the story ending, so there is that at least. And it's always possible that if he were to die before it was complete someone else would finish it - that's what happened with Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 3:08 pm

Not sure why everyone thinks he's going to die. The guy ain't that old!

Anyway, Daenareys is a badass. Last night, when she commanded the unsullied for the first time, I got goose bumps. That was awesome!
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 6:30 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:

I've heard and read from a few different places (not from his own mouth, so take it with a grain of salt) that Brandon Sanderson, the author who finished off Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time series, has been possibly lined up to finish it off if such were ever to occur.

Wish me luck, I am now about to plunge into book one, A Game Of Thrones! Very Happy

Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 8:48 am

Eyesore wrote:

But he takes ages between books - five years between A Storm Of Swords and A Feast For Crows and another six years between A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons.

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
I've heard and read from a few different places (not from his own mouth, so take it with a grain of salt) that Brandon Sanderson, the author who finished off Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time series, has been possibly lined up to finish it off if such were ever to occur.

I have my doubts about that. I've got nothing against Sanderson - I'm busy reading his Mistborn series, and I really like it. But he's a practising Mormon which makes me wonder whether Game of Thrones would be too graphic for him to be the one to complete it.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 6:42 pm

Citanul wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

But he takes ages between books - five years between A Storm Of Swords and A Feast For Crows and another six years between A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons.

SideShowDisaSter wrote:

I have my doubts about that. I've got nothing against Sanderson - I'm busy reading his Mistborn series, and I really like it. But he's a practising Mormon which makes me wonder whether Game of Thrones would be too graphic for him to be the one to complete it.

You could well be right. I never even thought about Brandon's religious views... Still, if the worst were to happen, I'm sure it would be similar to what happened with Robert Jordan.

If you like The Mistborn trilogy, you have to try The Way Of Kings. In my opinion, it is better in every way. Dying for him to finish the second book in that series...

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 7:10 pm

Hey Ben, enjoy the Game Of Thrones series, the books are well written (if you like that writing style) and way better than the TV show. IMHDO

Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 4:27 am

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
If you like The Mistborn trilogy, you have to try The Way Of Kings. In my opinion, it is better in every way. Dying for him to finish the second book in that series...

I definitely plan on reading more of Sanderson, although I try to avoid starting series that are incomplete and I see this is supposed to be a ten-book series. But he does seem fairly prolific, unlike some authors who can take many years between books, so maybe it won't be so bad starting it before he's written everything.

But this is going a little off topic, so maybe we should start a general fantasy thread if there isn't one already.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 12:51 am

Citanul wrote:
SideShowDisaSter wrote:

I definitely plan on reading more of Sanderson, although I try to avoid starting series that are incomplete and I see this is supposed to be a ten-book series. But he does seem fairly prolific, unlike some authors who can take many years between books, so maybe it won't be so bad starting it before he's written everything.

But this is going a little off topic, so maybe we should start a general fantasy thread if there isn't one already.

I agree, I don't want to hijack this thread, so I took your suggestion. A general Fantasy thread is now here:

http://www.heartofmetal.net/t19714-fantasy-novels-likes-dislikes-suggestions-etc#553894

Back on topic; I'm about 200 pages into A Game Of Thrones. I am REALLY enjoying it so far. How does the man keep up with everything he's got going? Only as far in as I am, he's got about 4 or 5 plot threads going (and apparently it gets MUCH more convoluted as he goes!).

I'm going to pick up Season One of the TV series next weekend, so once I've watched it I'll comment on that as well.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 6:14 am

Im almost on page 500 its been slow going for me, because I read before bed sometimes I can knock out 10-20 pages sometimes i cant even read 5

I love the series on HBO but of course the books are where its at.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 6:35 am

Ok, so I'm halfway through Season 1 so far. I'm loving the hell out of it, truth to tell! It's surprising how closely it follows the book. Peter Dinklage, the actor that plays Tyrion Lannister, does an AMAZING job!

I've only read the first book in the series (and about 200 pages of the 2nd), so maybe I haven't hit upon it yet, but where did HBO get the whole homosexual angle between Loras Tyrell and Renly Baratheon? And did they have to change The Others so much? Some of the dialogue changes, I get. But wholesale changes.... The books are popular for a reason, there isn't a real need to make big or way-out-there changes.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 7:08 am

Yeah, I'm into book three, and I didn't pick up any suggestion of a relationship between Renly and Loras. Doing a quick google, though, it appears that George RR Martin has confirmed that they are, and that the hints get less subtle in the books I've yet to get to!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next