Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)

Go down 
+5
stepcousin
James B.
SpectreFate
MetalGuy71
manny
9 posters
AuthorMessage

R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Empty
PostSubject: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 11:14 am

Legendary British guitarist/vocalist for Ten Years After has passed away. Despite their memorable segment from Woodstock and hit single "I'd Love To Change The World" they never really broke big here in the U.S. but are definitely worth exploring further.

Hit single "I'd Love To Change The World"

For a taste of Alvin's incendiary guitar skill here is their take on Woody Herman's "Woodchopper's Ball".

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 11:26 am

This sucks, I remember just a couple of weeks I had posted a Ten Years After tune on FB, we had commented back and forth on his music with the band.

Great great guitaritst, and Ten Years After recorded a series of classic albums in the late 60's- early 70's.

I had just read an interview he did with Classic Rock Magazine and month ago, it was very insightful on his history and the band dynamics of Ten Years After.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 11:33 am

manny wrote:
I had just read an interview he did with Classic Rock Magazine and month ago, it was very insightful on his history and the band dynamics of Ten Years After.

Dang. I just read that same article and it made me break out my "essential" Ten Years After disc just a week or so ago. What was the cause of death? Was he sick?

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 11:39 am

The family stated it was "unforeseen complications during routine surgery".
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 12:03 pm

Jesus that sucks some serious balls. GREAT guitarist.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12590

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 4:07 pm

Listened to him alot as a pup....their biggest tune (which Shawn posted above in the 1rst video clip) is so different than most of the other stuff they played.

R.I.P

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 4:50 pm

Did he do anything worthwhile after leaving Ten Years After? Any of his solo albums worth exploring?

Like I mentioned, all I have to go on is an essential TYA collection, which is fine, but I've never heard anything outside of that.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 4:52 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Did he do anything worthwhile after leaving Ten Years After? Any of his solo albums worth exploring?

Like I mentioned, all I have to go on is an essential TYA collection, which is fine, but I've never heard anything outside of that.

I personally did not care for his solo albums that I have heard but I confess I only heard a few and it has been ages since I have heard a solo release from Alvin Lee.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 5:03 pm

My problem with the single disc "The Essential Ten Years After" is that it begins with their 4th released studio album and doesn't contain anything from Ten Years After, Stonedhenge, Undead or Shhh which are arguably their best albums overall. It contains some of their hits but overall is a failed release due to those omissions.

Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 8:22 pm

Get these..........

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OPUZYY/ref=dm_dp_cdp?ie=UTF8&s=music

http://www.amazon.com/Anthology-Alvin-Lee/dp/B0000EM6QP/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1362619301&sr=1-1&keywords=alvin+lee+anthology

http://www.amazon.com/Anthology-2-Alvin-Lee/dp/B0015N977I/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1362619301&sr=1-2&keywords=alvin+lee+anthology

Of course they are out of stock today. Yesterday there was stock o' plenty.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 8:25 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I have all his output from 1967-1986 and I dig it all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 8:32 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OPUZYY/ref=dm_dp_cdp?ie=UTF8&s=music

I have this one, but again the problem is that it starts with album #4 in their discography.

I also have the *must own* Undead (1968).

Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 8:42 pm

Joe Schmo (in this case MetalGuy71) would more than likely want a good overview before buying anything labeled *must own*. That compilation gives him the most bang for his TYA buck.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 12:49 am

As a rule I usually dislike compilations, but those Chrysalis box sets I like because they contain complete albums...I was just stating that it's too bad they begin at album #4 (contractual reasons). Especially considering the reputation of Stonedhenge and Undead.

However, since MG can pick up a used copy of "Think About The Time: The Chrysalis Years" for $14 and nab 5 complete albums in one shot (all of which are good) I would recommend he take that route.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 9:58 am

I don't think I'll be picking up anything more anytime soon. First off, I don't want to be "that guy" that suddenly takes an interest in an artist just because he died. I hate that. Secondly, I was just curious to know if he did anything worthwhile after TYA. I don't hear that era get any mentions.

I'll break out my essential disc again and give it another spin to see if anything in particualr jumps out at me. For the time being, I'm happy with that.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 7:27 pm

wow, that sucks. I'm a TYF and Alvin Lee fan. R.I.P. bro.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 9:51 pm

My 1st intro to TYA was my favorite album SSSSH back in 1970. His solo material is as equally good. Pump Iron, Rocket Fuel, Detroit Deisel are all classic.

Metalwargod
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 2:12 am

For the last year or two, I have been trying to get anything by his late 1970s band Ten Years later. Very catchy riffs and solos.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 11:42 pm

Great guitarist!!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9872

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2022 8:51 am

Just saw a couple of anthology cds by Alvin Lee at my local record store this weekend.

Thought i'd check his music out before buying them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)   R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

R.I.P. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)
Page 1 of 1