Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Two albums by DUST to be reissued

Go down 
+8
SAHB Healer
Wargod
Witchfinder
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
ZombieHavoc
manny
Fat Freddy
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

Two albums by DUST to be reissued Empty
PostSubject: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Just got a press release in my e-mail announcing the reissue of two classic albums by DUST. Their self titled and HARD ATTACK albums are due (both albums on a single disc) from Sony/Legacy in April of '13. So who the heck is Dust? An early 70s proto-metal band from New York that featured a pre-Ramones Marc Bell on drums, future Joan Jett bassist Kenny Aaronson, and guitarist/vocalist Richie Wise, with songwriting assistance from his friend Kenny Kerner. Kerner and Wise later went into studio production and worked on the first two KISS albums.

I've heard OF Dust numerous times over the years due to the Marky Ramone connection but I've never actually HEARD them... and I must say, what I hear in the above preview vid sounds pretty cool. I may have to look into this reissue.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 4:05 pm

I almost posted this, heard about them for years just never heard them but I think I will have to check into these albums.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 4:06 pm

I like Dust, for sure.

Is there anything special on this two-fer? The single albums are not really that hard to come by. Amazon has the first as still being listed in stock. The second is listed right now as temporarily out of stock, but a new copy from a seller lists at the same price.

Regardless, these are definite albums to check out.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 4:34 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Is there anything special on this two-fer? The single albums are not really that hard to come by.

The press release doesn't mention any bonus tracks or other goodies, just that it's "newly remastered from the original master tapes," for whatever that's worth.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
Is there anything special on this two-fer? The single albums are not really that hard to come by.

The press release doesn't mention any bonus tracks or other goodies, just that it's "newly remastered from the original master tapes," for whatever that's worth.

Well, I'm sure the single disc will be cheaper than buying the two separate, so that's something anyway.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 5:08 pm

I've seen their albums come up as recommendations from Amazon, but didn't give them much thought. Watching that clip up there, I think I need to check these guys out. I could listen to more of this.

Funny seeing/hearing Marky going all out on those drums when I'm so used to hearing him keep a steady beat for the Ramones. He's got a Bill Ward/tribal thing going on there in Dust. And funnier still is seeing Richie Wise these days looking more like a high school algebra teacher than dirty hippie. Dang, it sucks getting old Razz

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 5:38 pm

Hey, that's pretty good. Now if I only had millions around to afford all this.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 5:47 pm

I need to get this.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Dust kicks azz!

Metalwargod
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 8:36 pm

Strange band. There are a bunch of really excelllent and fairly mellow psych tracks on these two albums in addition to the hard rock. They are like early Terry Knight product (Grand Funk, Bloodrock) in that respect; the loud stuff is run of the mill and the laid back songs are actually very good. It grew on me after intial disappointment. Their reputation and the Hard Attack album cover are kind of misleading IMO.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 11:08 am

So what's your prognosis on this one, Dr. Freddy? I'm interesting in hearing this one, but it just came out today and I'm seeing cheap copies popping up on Amazon already. Is this a red flag to stay away or what?

I'll probably pick up a copy regardless, but if it's a clunker, maybe I'll wait it out.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 11:14 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
So what's your prognosis on this one, Dr. Freddy? I'm interesting in hearing this one, but it just came out today and I'm seeing cheap copies popping up on Amazon already. Is this a red flag to stay away or what?

I'll probably pick up a copy regardless, but if it's a clunker, maybe I'll wait it out.

I've been listening to this one on and off for the past week or two, but I've been draggin' my ass on writing the review for it...haha. SAHB Healer's post above yours actually sums the whole thing up pretty nicely. There are a lot of mellow, spacey psychedelic tracks but they're balanced out by an equal number of up tempo jammers.

I am impressed with Marky's drum skillz; like you said earlier, after listening to him keeping those basic "1-2-3-4" beats with the Ramones for all these years, it's very cool to hear him goin' for broke on these tunes.

If pressed I'd have to say my fave song would have to be "From A Dry Camel" off of Dust, not only cuz it's a cool Sabbathy hard rock song, but because the title cracks me up. I have no idea what it means, but I'm sure it's awesome, whatever it is.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 11:37 am

Good to know. Like I said, I'll probably still pick it up at some point, but it's probably gonna slide down a few notches on the want-list for now.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 12:54 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
Strange band. There are a bunch of really excelllent and fairly mellow psych tracks on these two albums in addition to the hard rock. They are like early Terry Knight product (Grand Funk, Bloodrock) in that respect; the loud stuff is run of the mill and the laid back songs are actually very good. It grew on me after intial disappointment. Their reputation and the Hard Attack album cover are kind of misleading IMO.

VERY Bloodrock, right down to the darker/lighter mix of songs. Great band.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 2:56 pm

Dust is the Norwegian word for nitwit. Just sayin'....

Razz

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 11:48 am

While this reissue is a pleasant listen for the most part, I think the claims of "proto-metal" have been slightly exaggerated to garner more interest.

I find the most intersting part to be Marky Ramone's drumming.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 11:53 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
While this reissue is a pleasant listen for the most part, I think the claims of "proto-metal" have been slightly exaggerated to garner more interest.

I find the most intersting part to be Marky Ramone's drumming.
Same here. I listened to it a bunch when I first got it a couple of months back but once the "newness" wore off it went up on the shelf and hasn't come back out.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 12:00 pm

I got it a week or 2 ago, but I'm just getting around to listening to it this morning. It's not bad really. I don't mind the mellower stuff. I just think it's kinda funny how it was promoted as heavier than it really is. The heavy tracks are just a small portion of what they offer. Someone picking this up thinking they are getting some "lost metal classic" in the vein of Sabbath or Purple would be disappointed, me thinks.

Ah well. I'll enjoy it for what it is. Razz 

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 1:09 pm

I consider Dust to be occasionally heavy, especially for the time their albums were released.

If you are interested in proto-metal and late 60s and early 70s kind of metal bands, check out this blog:

http://www.aftersabbath.com/

I discovered Night Sun because of his blog. Cool, weird, German proto-metal:

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
kyleblack
Metal student
Metal student
kyleblack

Number of posts : 159

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 5:00 pm

The S/T is the the better of the two albums and the heaviest overall. "From A Dry Camel" rules!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 5:03 pm

kyleblack wrote:
The S/T is the the better of the two albums and the heaviest overall. "From A Dry Camel" rules!
I'd tend to agree.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 5:30 pm

Dust was listed in one of those bad "metal" encyclopedias from the old days that didn't have a clue as being one of the greatest "forgotten metal" bands of all time, along with Sir Lord Baltimore and Bang. Dust is about 1/8 as loud as those bands, so they have had to keep living down that reputation seems like forever now. They deserved better as they were actually pretty artistic.
It's funny how those old lists tossed off by some ignorant NME or Rolling Stone writer seem to persist forever. I have one old encyclopedia (Derrick Oliver?)that says Black Widow was "almost Identical to Black Sabbath" uh, they might have expored similar themes, but the music was nothing similar whatsoever (about 1/100th as loud). You'd think after all these years and all the thousand of blogs and reviews available those goofy opinions would fade away, but no I still see them all over the place.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 7:07 pm

Meh, two albums on one disc. I'll pass.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two albums by DUST to be reissued   Two albums by DUST to be reissued Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Two albums by DUST to be reissued
Page 1 of 1