Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?

Go down 
+17
journeyman
80s Metal Lady
jettafiend
assault_attack
manny
Wurthless
ZombieHavoc
Leatherface
SpectreFate
BearOnUnicycle
Orion Crystal Ice
Vexer6
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
ultmetal
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 10:07 am

Alot of bands have been throwing together collections of nothing but unreleased tracks, demos, live tidbits, b-sides, unfinished stuff, interviews, etc and releasing them as "albums". These are usually pretty low on my priority list, but there have been a few that I have found very enjoyable. What is your fav?

For me:

DBC - Unreleased
Metallica - The Apocalypse Boxset
King Kobra - Lost Years
Saxon - Diamonds & Nuggets [not so much for the production, but for sentimental reasons]
Tora Tora - Bombs Away
XYZ - Forbidden Demos
Loudness - Loud n Rare
Rough Cutt - Anthology

Not Metal:
Sugar - Bsides
Bent Backed Tulips - Looking Through
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 10:35 am

First few that came to mind:
U.D.O. - Celebrator (massive b-side collection)
Accu§er - Confusion Romance (only a 6 song EP, but one I listen to frequently)
Megadeth - Hidden Treasures
Dirty Looks – The Worst of Dirty Looks (sort of a best of the indie years with a handful of live songs)

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 10:45 am

Iron Maiden - Best of the B Sides
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 10:59 am

Were talking single or double discs, not box sets, right?

Some I like:
Armored Saint - Nod to the Old School
The Beatles - the Anthology collections
Danzig - The Lost Tracks of Danzig
Foo Fighters - Medium Rare
Great White - Burning House of Love
Hanoi Rocks - Tracks From A Broken Dream
Warrior Soul - Odds & Sods

While not an "official" release, I've always enjoyed WASP's B-Sides Themselves. I think most of the tunes on it have surfaced on the WASP re-issues, but it's still nice to have them all on one cd.

2 bands that I wish would do something like this is Anthrax and Tesla. They've both done some cool covers and b-sides over the years. Most of them have sprung up on comps or re-issues, but I'd still like them all on one collection.

There was talk years ago of a Tesla box set with all kinds of goodies, but I think that idea went up in flames when their studio/warehouse burned up.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 11:29 am

First two that came to mind (that weren't already mentioned) were:

Raven - Raw Tracks
Bad Biscut - We Still Believe the Hype

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 11:47 am

Stalk-Forrest Group - St. Cecilia: The Elektra Recordings - pre-Blue Oyster Cult recordings from the band.
Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Music
Jimi Hendrix - Morning Symphony Ideas
Jimi Hendrix - Burning Desire
Jimi Hendrix - The Baggy's Rehearsal Session
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 12:14 pm

Y&T Unearthed Volume 1 and 2.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 1:01 pm

Rage - Metal Meets Classic Live, which is an oddball DualDisc thing...super thick chunk of plastic....one side is this DVD full of rare live videos and stuff and then the actual music is a bunch of B-sides from that decade (1990's).
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 1:05 pm

Half of my favorite stuff are demos on long-forgotten tapes. Like these:

Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Rage - Metal Meets Classic Live, which is an oddball DualDisc thing...super thick chunk of plastic....one side is this DVD full of rare live videos and stuff and then the actual music is a bunch of B-sides from that decade (1990's).

I don't believe you. So you must send it to me for inSPECtion.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 2:43 pm

Amon-Feasting the Beast
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 3:04 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Y&T Unearthed Volume 1 and 2.

Yes! Those two are outstanding.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 4:12 pm

Bruce Springsteen's Tracks box set. 4 discs of rarities that are better than most other artists' final album material.

And if you don't want to count box sets, then I say Bruce Springsteen's 18 Tracks CD, which is a budget-priced single disc with 15 of the songs from Tracks, and 3 other rare tracks.

I am also partial to the various demo comps Pretty Boy Floyd has released. Even though they vary (severely) in sound quality, I still love them. Leather Boyz is my all time favorite record, and while I have come to terms with the fact that almost nothing they have recorded will ever be as good as that, I still enjoy the rest of their output.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 4:13 pm

Also, Anthrax' Attack of the Killer B's.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 4:19 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:

I'd never heard that Titan Force demo before. That song was pretty damn good, though.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 4:28 pm

AC/DC- ' 74 Jailbreak
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 4:39 pm

manny wrote:
AC/DC- ' 74 Jailbreak

A kid in my study hall class in 7th grade gave me that cassette. Through the years, I have always had a memory of it, and what was on the cover, but not what the actual music consisted of.

Never looked it up or sought to re-buy it...just had it floating in the back of my head.

Well, now I know what it was.
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 5:30 pm

Wurthless wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:

I'd never heard that Titan Force demo before. That song was pretty damn good, though.

I see there are 4 songs on this demo, Yeah!! Thanks for the info. Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? 25679
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 7:01 pm

I think Def Lep's Retro-Active has some really cool tracks on it. Being a lifelong Helix fan, hearing Elliot sing his own song [She's Too Tough], after knowing it by heart for so many years, was unique.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 8:08 pm

some of the ones that I listen to fairly regularly, except for the Extol abum. I don't listen to that one unles I am in the mood for some br00tal death metal.

Stryper - The Roxx Regime Demo's
Guardian - The Yellow and Black Attack is Back
Factor 150 - Happy End
Extol - Paralysis
Def Leppard - Retro-Active
Def Leppard - First Strike
In Flames - Subterranean
Jani Lane - PhotoGraph
MC Lars - The Laptop E.p.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 8:09 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
I think Def Lep's Retro-Active has some really cool tracks on it. Being a lifelong Helix fan, hearing Elliot sing his own song [She's Too Tough], after knowing it by heart for so many years, was unique.

That track was what introduced me to Helix, because I wanted to hear their version of it.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 10:28 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:

Not Metal:
Sugar - Bsides

Yes! One of my favorite albums. Most of the songs are just as good as the ones on Sugar's albums which are incredible. "Anyone," for example, is an awesome song. Wish David Barbe sang better, though.

I don't know if a b-sides compilation was ever made (he has a ton of compilations out there already), but another non-metal artist with high quality b-sides is Gary Numan.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 10:55 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

Ever notice that not all of the singles are on this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 12:35 am

Porcupine Tree - Recordings

An excellent collection of songs that wouldn't fit on Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun, even though it's a compilation it works perfectly as a standalone album.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 12:57 am

journeyman wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

Ever notice that not all of the singles are on this.

Which is why it's called "best of". Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?   Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Back Tracks/B-sides/Demos comp release?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next