Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies

Go down 
+12
tul
DevZor
Rex
A Handful of Wayne
labrekk
Dark Horseman
tohostudios
MetalRob331
jettafiend
MetalGuy71
stormspell
Eyesore
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies   Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 3:19 pm

Quote :
a band none of us old farts has ever heard of.

After listening to that video, I would have preferred to keep it that way. Razz

I'll come back to it and who knows, maybe I will enjoy it more? I honestly don't think it's a bad album at all. Just not what I hoped/expected. It was one of those "greatly anticipated albums for 2013" that I wanted to love but unfortunately didn't.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies   Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 5:33 pm

I really liked between room 24, doc Holliday and black Bart. They're as or more heavy than anything they've written, that I've heard. I think the problem is a combination of very cold production and performance's from the band's rythm section being "too tight". There isn't any room for the raucousness of the band, the sound is so dense and shiney the "heaviest stuff" they've written doesn't have room to swing and mosh and boogie like they used too so it doesn't feel as heavy.

It's like s.d. and corplhicks were saying over in the nonmetal forum, being too tight robs music o its feel, some bands are better served backing off on the pursuit of perfection in order to preserve feel, swing, and groove. All aspects which make heavy music really rock.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies   Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 7:17 pm

I don't see how this album is really any different from the last two. Yeah, I guess there is maybe one or two less "metal" tracks, but aside from that it's pretty much the same formula. They haven't really sounded overall heavy since the first two albums.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies   Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 7:30 pm

The writing is there on a lot of it, but like the last maiden record alot of the raucousness is squashed. Apart from that I'm still enjoying the heck out of it. In fact I'm rockin' out to black Bart right now. This song would be so much more killer if the guitar chug going on just had that bit more chunk to it. I think some of these tunes are going to slay live, where volbeat does have that rockin crunch.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies   Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 10:24 pm

I think the album is perfectly fine and with the great emotional songs like Lonesome Rider and Our Loved Ones, it makes for a great listen to my ears. Doc Holiday is another killer track as well as Pearl Hart. I find this album def has a lot more filler than killer but that's fine cuz the tracks I do love, I LOVE!!!

7.5/10

Also when it comes to bands you love, never hold your expectations too high. They always seem to get shattered.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies   Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 8:52 pm

I'm really digging this album. My first for the band, so I have nothing to compare, but I think it's good.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies   Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 10:03 pm

journeyman wrote:
I'm really digging this album. My first for the band, so I have nothing to compare, but I think it's good.
It's a really good album, yeah. Their heavy side is becoming a bit less heavy, and their pop side a bit more poppy. Hopefully that isn't something that continues on future albums. I'd like the opposite.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies   Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 11:48 pm

Eyesore wrote:
journeyman wrote:
It's a really good album, yeah. Their heavy side is becoming a bit less heavy, and their pop side a bit more poppy. Hopefully that isn't something that continues on future albums. I'd like the opposite.
I think every album has had it's POP moments and those songs are actually their better tunes IMO.. The thing about Volbeat is they can actually write hooks while still being somewhat heavy. I think this band has found it's groove and what works for them and will continue to just release solid albums.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies   Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 12:42 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
journeyman wrote:
I think every album has had it's POP moments and those songs are actually their better tunes IMO.. The thing about Volbeat is they can actually write hooks while still being somewhat heavy.   I think this band has found it's groove and what works for them and will continue to just release solid albums.  
Every album has had its poppy moments, as I mentioned, but they have gotten more poppy, and I don't think sounding like latter-day Green Day is where they really shine. They do it well, but they're really great on songs like "Mr. & Mrs. Ness."
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies   Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 10:21 am

Eyesore wrote:
journeyman wrote:
I'm still finding that last album to be a disappointment compared to their previous output. I've warmed up to a few tracks and I still say it's not a bad album. But it's gonna be at the bottom of the pile when I'm looking to crank some Volbeat.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies   Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
journeyman wrote:
I think every album has had it's POP moments and those songs are actually their better tunes IMO.. The thing about Volbeat is they can actually write hooks while still being somewhat heavy.   I think this band has found it's groove and what works for them and will continue to just release solid albums.  
Every album has had its poppy moments, as I mentioned, but they have gotten more poppy, and I don't think sounding like latter-day Green Day is where they really shine. They do it well, but they're really great on songs like "Mr. & Mrs. Ness."
That's my fav Volbeat song headbanger 
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies   Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 1:55 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
journeyman wrote:
I'm still finding that last album to be a disappointment compared to their previous output. I've warmed up to a few tracks and I still say it's not a bad album. But it's gonna be at the bottom of the pile when I'm looking to crank some Volbeat.
Really. Guess I should check out the back catalog.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies   Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 9:52 am

journeyman wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
journeyman wrote:
Really. Guess I should check out the back catalog.
Their earlier albums have a harder, more metallic edge to them. This latest album just sounded slightly more polished and radio friendly to me than past efforts. I can't blame them for trying to get more main-stream appeal and earn a buck in this day and age. But it was a step down in my opinion.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies   Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 9:56 am

My son is a huge fan...as is my wife...me, not so much. I like them OK, I guess...but not enough to reach for a Volbeat album and listen to it intentionally...only if my son happens to play it or something. They were also kinda boring live, IMO...but that could be because I'm just not much of a fan.

But I really do like the song King Diamond did with them.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies   Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 9:57 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

But I really do like the song King Diamond did with them.
Yea, that tune is killer.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies   Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 11:28 am

I like them enough to have a couple albums and my daughters love them so they play them a lot. My youngest who is in choir says he's one of the few singers I listen to that can actually sing. Snob.
Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies   Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 29, 2013 9:08 pm

This is my favorite song of theirs. I like his voice, but I would consider them mediocre...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies   Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3