Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Broken Bones in the Gutta!

Go down 
+12
kethdredd
ultmetal
jstate
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
ZombieHavoc
SideShowDisaSter
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
SpectreFate
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Broken Bones in the Gutta! Empty
PostSubject: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 8:25 pm

Dangerous Toys. Another band that does not get enough love on this board. 3 INCREDIBLE albums and 1 horrible one. But Jason McMaster is the king of Texas Metal, imo. Watchtower, then Dangerous Toys, then Broken Teeth. A career that most Texans would sacrifice their herd of cattle for....

Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 8:36 pm

Don't forget him in Ignitor and Evil United.....
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 9:00 pm

Love me some Dangerous Toys, the S/T especially.

I still remember feeling bad for them at the Operation Rock N Roll show in 1991 when they were boo'ed mercilessly by a crowd that was waiting for Motorhead.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 9:32 pm

I like their first three albums.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 2:42 am

Damn you, John. You got me looking, strike three, with a curveball! I thought you were going to talk about Broken Bones, the BAND!

That aside, I did enjoy the f**k out of the first Dangerous Toys album. Solid metal platter, with a fair bit of variety to it. And of course, Jason's vocals are absolutely top notch!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 9:12 am

I also love the first 3 albums, and the song on the Shocker soundtrack.

The fouth album universally sucks, and I've encountered very few who like it.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 9:48 am

DT kicks major ass! Their self titled was my soundtrack that year.Love Jasons voice.Good southern metal.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 10:02 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
I also love the first 3 albums, and the song on the Shocker soundtrack.

The fouth album universally sucks, and I've encountered very few who like it.

Agreed. I don't know what they were thinking with The Artist Formerly Known As.... Peeee-you, what a stinker!!

Pissed doesn't seem to get as much attention as the first 2, but man, is it a cracker of an album!

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 10:06 am

The fourth album was a stab at trying to be relevant with the times.The label was behind that mess.They should of said F*#k it!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 10:13 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
The fourth album was a stab at trying to be relevant with the times.The label was behind that mess.They should of said F*#k it!

It's been ages since I've heard it, but I don't remember it being good in any way, shape or form. It certainly wasn't the sleazy/boogie metal they were known for and it didn't work being alternative or grunge or whatever sound they were going for either.

Unlike the s/t Motley album with Corabi, for example. If you listen to it without the "Crue" tag, it's not a bad album. That DT album isn't good no matter what label you stick on it.

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 10:14 am

I never bothered with that last album. Have even passed it over several times. I like my Toys on those first three. I know the Ultimate Toys album has live cuts but always wished these guys would do a proper live one.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 10:17 am

jstate wrote:
I never bothered with that last album. Have even passed it over several times. I like my Toys on those first three. I know the Ultimate Toys album has live cuts but always wished these guys would do a proper live one.

I have the first 3 discs, but the last one and the live album I only ripped to mp3s from cds I borrowed from a buddy of mine. The live album is ok, but horrible production if I recall correctly. Sounds like a bad bootleg.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 10:40 am

Wait, Ultimate Toys is a completely live record? I always thought it had just a few live cuts. Bad sound or not I may have to get that.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 10:44 am

jstate wrote:
Wait, Ultimate Toys is a completely live record? I always thought it had just a few live cuts. Bad sound or not I may have to get that.

No, sorry for the confusion. This is the live album...

Broken Bones in the Gutta! B00003000I.01.MZZZZZZZ

Looks like it's become a bit of a pricey collectible. Not sure why, it's terrible. Razz
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00003000I/ref=dm_dp_cdp?ie=UTF8&s=music

I don't know if the live tracks on that Ultimate Collection disc came from this album or not though. Never heard it.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 11:54 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
jstate wrote:

Looks like it's become a bit of a pricey collectible. Not sure why, it's terrible. Razz

I don't know if the live tracks on that Ultimate Collection disc came from this album or not though. Never heard it.

Geez ! I saw that one time in the used shop not too long ago for like 7.99. I passed it up because of my disdain for live albums. If only I had known. Oh well.

I have their first 2 and love em. I need to get the 3rd but am in no way interested in that 4th release of their's.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 12:05 pm

Love their first three albums. Their last album was atrocious for the most part. I like the live album.

I saw them live on their first tour at a hole-in-the-wall club in Albuquerque. It's actually what turned me onto them. Next day after the show we went to the record store and picked up their debut.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 12:07 pm

Quote :
Pissed doesn't seem to get as much attention as the first 2, but man, is it a cracker of an album!
Yeah, that's a good'un too. I've never heard The R-tist 4merly Known As..., never bothered with it cuz it got universally terrible press upon its release. Sounds like I didn't miss anything.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 2:24 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
jstate wrote:

I think the Live album is the only place that the song "Dangerous Toys" has ever been released. And, yeah - really terrible sound quality. I can't even listen to it, which sucks - cuz they are a killer live band. I get to see them next month again! Psyched!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Quote :
I get to see them next month again! Psyched!

They still perform? Original guys or "Dangerous Toys featuring Jason McMaster"?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 4:08 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
I get to see them next month again! Psyched!

They still perform? Original guys or "Dangerous Toys featuring Jason McMaster"?

DT ha always been a bit of a revolving-door kind of band. They still do a few shows a year. I saw them up here a couple of summers ago and it was stellar. But I think seeing them on a boat in front of 1000's of people might take their show to a different level.
Back to top Go down
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 8:09 pm

I loved the song Scared, but avoided this band completely because of Teasn N Pleasn. I should give these guys another look.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 11:08 am

kethdredd wrote:
I loved the song Scared, but avoided this band completely because of Teasn N Pleasn. I should give these guys another look.

Their debut with 'Teasn' N Pleas'n' and 'Sportin a Woody' comes off a little juvenille these days, but it's still a great listen. They upped the ante on the follow-up, Hellacious Acres, then just went for broke on Pissed. All 3 are worth tracking down. After that, don't bother.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 11:10 am

Quote :
Their debut with 'Teasn' N Pleas'n' and 'Sportin a Woody' comes off a little juvenille these days, but it's still a great listen.

Years ago my brother ordered a Dangerous Toys t-shirt from one of the merch ads in Circus magazine. It had a pretty killer pic of their "evil clown" mascot on the front but when the shirt arrived in the mail he was dismayed to see that the back simply said "SPORTIN' A WOODY" in huge, hot-pink letters. I don't think he ever wore it in public. Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 12:46 pm

Random Toys-related memory:

When I was in 7th grade (1990) and obsessed with Dangerous Toys, we had to do a presentation/demonstration type thing in my english/speech class, where we acted out some activity we were into. Basically miming something.

I brought in my little boombox. Sat it down, and started to "mime" like I was setting up a bunch of amps, flipping knobs, and so on. In my mime, I plugged in and switched on about 14 amps. Then I plugged in my guitar, slung it over my shoulder, and pressed play on the boombox. "Teas'n Pleas'n" kicked in and I went nuts, air guitaring and jumping all over the place, headbanging like a madman. As the song ended, I destroyed my guitar and preceded to do the Mike Patton dying-fish flop.

No one seemed to think any of this was very cool. I do remember getting a good grade, though.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 1:31 pm

My buddy has this image tattooed on his shoulder...

Broken Bones in the Gutta! Dangeroustoys

Trivia Time: The D.T. "Evil Clown has a name and it is Bill Z. Bubb

http://pictograms.blogspot.com/2008/11/logo-289-dangerous-toys.html

PostSubject: Re: Broken Bones in the Gutta!   Broken Bones in the Gutta! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Broken Bones in the Gutta!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next