Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?

Go down 
+12
SAHB Healer
Gilbert
A Handful of Wayne
DallasBlack
Shawn Of Fire
kethdredd
Wargod
MetalGuy71
Dark Horseman
Lari
exact33
tohostudios
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 2:23 pm

Finally picked this one up. It is very good. A nice return to form.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Must be old news to everyone else, but there was this music video the band made for "Special", and I just saw it myself. It has Andi Deris and Jeff Scott Soto, pretty cool.

EDIT:

and the reason I was looking up PC69 online was because I just bought a bunch of their albums. The self-titled debut, One Size Fits All and Endangered. It was the first time in like a year I went to an actual physical record store (I've been using Amazon, band websites and cduniverse etc), I saw these (new!) at a good price and immediately grabbed 'em. I hadn't even thought of buying more PC69 CDs, but when you're in a shop, and you see them there... well, it's just like old times.

I already had five other PC69 studio albums + the anniversary DVD. I'm only missing Games People Play and the first two Readman-era albums now. They did have Food for Thought, too, but I decided not to get it. I wasn't sure if it was any good. And three is more than enough to digest at once. I hope no-one buys it in case I change my mind
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 12:31 pm

Quote :
I'm only missing Games People Play and the first two Readman-era albums now. They did have Food for Thought, too, but I decided not to get it. I wasn't sure if it was any good.

I'd grab it. I have a few holes in my PC69 collection as well, but everyone I own is quality. Food For Thought is just as good as anything else they've put out in my opinion. They have yet to disappoint.

Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 3:36 pm

I just ordered Games People Play (used €0,03 + shipping LOL).
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 3:44 pm

The one to avoid is "Change".  It's their attempt at grunge and it's awful.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 3:49 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Good to know. That's one of 3 I'm missing from my collection. Actually got outbid a few weeks ago trying to score a copy.

Seeing how I'm still a fan, I'll probably get it anyway at some point, right after One Size Fits All and Games People Play. I'm silly that way.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 4:11 pm

'Change' isn't really gunge...it's more like a blend of PC69 and King's X...kinda like Dokken's 'Dysfunctional'...great cover of "20th Century Boy" on it.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 5:09 pm

I said "attempt" at grunge.  And I'm not the only one who thinks that:
Quote :

The album itself is absolutely an attempt to stay relevant in the mid-90s grunge scene, but it's not all bad. Some of the tracks like "Queen Bee" and "20th Century Boy" are some of my favorite PC69 tracks, but most of the rest is not your typical melodic rock that we're so used to with PC69. Overall, I wouldn't totally cast the record off, it's actually not a terrible attempt at grunge, but their subsequent records would be better.

Smile

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 6:38 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Good to know. That's one of 3 I'm missing from my collection. Actually got outbid a few weeks ago trying to score a copy.

Seeing how I'm still a fan, I'll probably get it anyway at some point, right after One Size Fits All and Games People Play. I'm silly that way.

Listen to it on youtube if it's there, a little "try before you buy". I have that album and don't thinks it's bad, just different.

The only PC69 I don't have is the newest one.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 7:24 pm

chewie wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Listen to it on youtube if it's there, a little "try before you buy". I have that album and don't thinks it's bad, just different.

"just different" 

I'll give you that; maybe if "Change" had been produced by another band I wouldn't have had such a negative reaction to it.  But as a long-time PC69 fan the sounds on that album were not at all what I expected from what was then one of my favorite bands.

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 1:28 am

tohostudios wrote:
chewie wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

"just different" 

I'll give you that; maybe if "Change" had been produced by another band I wouldn't have had such a negative reaction to it.  But as a long-time PC69 fan the sounds on that album were not at all what I expected from what was then one of my favorite bands.

I can see your point, I didn't discover them until Thunderdome and then worked my way backwards. I'm one of those late to the game fans. Smile

Plus, I like some of those oddball albums like Shadowlife, Ultraphobic, Dawn, etc.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 3:43 am

I have the debut and need to go further; I've really enjoyed these guys. How would everyone here rank their albums?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 8:12 am

tohostudios wrote:
I said "attempt" at grunge.  And I'm not the only one who thinks that:
Quote :

The album itself is absolutely an attempt to stay relevant in the mid-90s grunge scene, but it's not all bad. Some of the tracks like "Queen Bee" and "20th Century Boy" are some of my favorite PC69 tracks, but most of the rest is not your typical melodic rock that we're so used to with PC69. Overall, I wouldn't totally cast the record off, it's actually not a terrible attempt at grunge, but their subsequent records would be better.

Smile

But it's not an "attempt" at grunge, either. I don't care who else thinks that. People hear downtuned guitars and groove and automatically think "grunge". It's still very much a hard rock record, just a little darker.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 10:17 am

corplhicks wrote:
I have the debut and need to go further; I've really enjoyed these guys. How would everyone here rank their albums?

My first purchase from them was Electrified. It's as good as anyplace to start. That was about the middle of their catalog, but anything after that and the one before it (Food For Thought) is quality as far as I'm concerned. As I said before, I'm missing a few of their earlier works with Andy Deris. But the stuff with David Readman is all good.

The Mixery ep is cool too. They do a cool version of the Crue's 'Looks That Kill'.

Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 12:12 pm

I think Sonic Dynamite is my favourite, but Electrified is really good and kind of in the same style.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 2:34 pm

While overall I prefer the Readman years of PC69, my favorite track by the band comes from the Deris era.

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 3:30 pm

tohostudios wrote:
While overall I prefer the Readman years of PC69, my favorite track by the band comes from the Deris era.

That is a kick ass tune!

Games People Play is a REALLY good album!!!!

With that being said, The Thunderdome album is my favorite!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 4:14 pm

So I just to need to get all of them at once. Got it. Laughing
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 8:11 pm

corplhicks wrote:

Pretty much. Razz
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 8:18 pm

chewie wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Pretty much. Razz

Yeah, i'd agree.

But if you don't have the money to round them all up, if you're more into the metal side of rock I'd recommend getting the Deris-era PC69 stuff first.  If you lean more toward the AOR/hard rock side, then the Readman-era stuff is probably more up your alley.

Since I like both, I have them all which is what I would ultimately recommend doing when it comes to this band.  But if find the Deris stuff to be more metal-oriented than the Readman stuff.  Just my opinion.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 8:11 pm

corplhicks wrote:

The debut is by FAR their best. Although next two are definitely worth owning also.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2014 8:34 am

I got Games People Play today and gave it a spin. I have to say that at first it doesn't seem like it's quite as awesome as the first two. It's a bit more serious, and I don't know if it fits the band that well. But obviously that was just the first listen.

Maybe it's also the fact I played PC69 and One Size Fits All so much the past week, it's hard getting into anything new by the same band right away. Oversaturation effect.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2015 10:18 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
I'm only missing Games People Play and the first two Readman-era albums now. They did have Food for Thought, too, but I decided not to get it. I wasn't sure if it was any good.

I'd grab it. I have a few holes in my PC69 collection as well, but everyone I own is quality. Food For Thought is just as good as anything else they've put out in my opinion. They have yet to disappoint.

I finally went back yesterday and bought Food for Thought. One spin only so far, but it's quality. Nothing to complain about here. It's not far removed from their sound.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2015 10:36 am

What a coincidence. I've got Games People Play in my cd case for this week's listening pleasure. It's just as good as anything else I've heard from this band. I have yet to be disappointed by any of their albums really.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2015 3:20 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
What a coincidence. I've got Games People Play in my cd case for this week's listening pleasure. It's just as good as anything else I've heard from this band. I have yet to be disappointed by any of their albums really.

I guess you dont have the album "Change" haha

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next